• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating PDF from Word and not having proper font displayed even though it is embedded in Word???

Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so, we are trying to figure the best way to convert our customers Word files to PDFs once we receive them.  Sometimes, they use fonts we do not have.  Our fix, thus far, is the "embedd font" option in Word when they save the file.  This then allows us to view the font in word as it should appear (correct).  The problem is, when we creat the PDF from Word, the font is missing...even though we think we have the proper settings in our preset for the PDF creation.  Once we create the PDF, it is converting all the missing fonts to Arial MT.  We are using Acrobat X Pro

Now, the strange thing is....if we use a free, generic option (PDF Creator)....it WORKS!?!  The font appears as it should.  We are baffled at what to do???  Again, keeping in mind that we want to ensure the PDFs we create from customer Word files will always have proper font when PDF is created.  

Thoughts?? suggestions??  Thank you in advance

Paul

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2012 Aug 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Print or Press job options (or change the font properties in Standard) to convert to PDF. It is possible that the font is not licensed for embedding. In this case, Acrobat will not embed the font because of license issues. The fact that other conversions may work may be that they are not adhering to the license (and you would not want to post in such a case). If you use Ctrl-D when the PDF is open, you should be able to check the font tab for embedding. Since you have made the comment about the fonts being Arial MT, it suggests you have checked that and that they are not embedded. So Arial MT is the substitution font used.

You also have to be careful that the printer properties (or PDF Maker) has the option set to use the document fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill...thanks for the reply.  I have looked everywhere for the "convert to PDF" under the font options within the job options.  Basically, if I go to "Preferences" - "Advanced Settings" there is a tab for fonts.  I do not see that option you speak of anywhere.   I not only have the Word file embedding the font on save, but, also the PDF job options is set to embed. 

It does make sense about the licensing issue.  That very well may be the issue and no way around it.  Again, thanks for the info!

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe PDF printer has an option "Rely on system fonts only; do not use document fonts". That sounds as if it would have this effect.  Change it from the Printers Control Panel, restart Word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked using the Adobe Printer!  Thanks.  Now, how do I get that same thing to work using the Acrobat tab in Word to create the PDF?  I dont see that option in the preferences for my job settings? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you use the Acrobat icon in Word, it does, behind the scenes, print to Adobe PDF. So I'd be hopeful that is now fixed too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Starting with AA9, the PDF Maker function and the print to Adobe PDF were separated in function. I am not sure how. In the WORD setting I see for preferences, you can enter the preference and select advanced settings. The settings you see would be for the job settings file selected under Conversion Settings in PDF Maker (create PDF). Under teh font tab, you want to select to embed all fonts and probably subset below 100%. You do not want any fonts in the never embed list typically (you can check the settings under the print or press settings to get an idea about the fonts). If you change the settings you will have to save to a new name and then be sure that name is used in the Conversion Settings. The default settings are read only and I would recommend to not change that feature, but define a new one based on one of the defaults.

In my versions of WORD and AA on this system, I see no preference for system vs document fonts. My guess that document fonts is a requirement in PDF Maker, but not sure. Embedding the fonts in the WORD file does not mean that they are forwarded. In fact, in OFFICE 2007 and 2010, the embedding was further restricted in OFFICE. OFFICE no longer (at least last I checked) embeds fonts that are part of vector graphics, on the fonts in the text. The has been an issue for folks who use MathType and other vector drawing packages. If the PDF is created on that machine, no problem. But it reduces the portability of the DOC/DOCX file. Have not checked OFFICE 2010 to see if it was fixed, but I doubt it.

If you can get everything correctly with the Adobe PDF printer, then it is not a licensing issue. Trying the print or press settings in PDF Maker might solve the problem. The advantage of PDF Maker is that it includes bookmarks, links, and accessibility tags. If those are not needed for your use, then printing will generally give a substantially smaller PDF file. However, be sure to keep your original DOC file as going backwards is not easy with out the tags that provide document structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill@VT wrote:

...in OFFICE 2007 and 2010, the embedding was further restricted in OFFICE. OFFICE no longer (at least last I checked) embeds fonts that are part of vector graphics, on the fonts in the text. The has been an issue for folks who use MathType and other vector drawing packages. If the PDF is created on that machine, no problem. But it reduces the portability of the DOC/DOCX file. Have not checked OFFICE 2010 to see if it was fixed, but I doubt it.

Sadly, no. It's still not fixed in Office 2010 (and probably not Office 2013 either, though I haven't checked). I doubt MS has any plans at all to fix it. Previously it was possible to include 1 character (generally a space) from the MathType fonts (generally only MT Extra was required). Word would then "see" the font's use, and would embed it. Not anymore. AA has its own font embedding mechanism, which you're pointed out, but that can be problematic too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is almost as though MS does this type of thing to mess up competitors, MathType being one example. Who knows for sure? Probably no one, but it is fun to conjecture at times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so far back I cant count

Just trying Adobe to create pdf's

can save but cant find so cant attach to email

Considering returning to covered wagon days

IF you can help please eamil VERY specific instructions

Thank You

artadspec@comcast.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you mean Acrobat (probably the trial version). Any attachments would not make it to the forum anyway as attachments are not allowed for security reasons. You can post screen shots.

To create a PDF in basic form, open any application and a document you would like to convert to PDF. Go to the file menu and select print, and denote the Adobe PDF printer. Then simply complete the process. If you go to the printer properties, on the settings tab you should have the option of asking for a file name and such. After a while the settings should make more sense, but at first they can be confusing. When you set the file name, pay attention to where you put it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Print to PDF is scrambled: I found that if ANY character, in the body or in the header, footer, page number etc. is using a character of an unknown font to Acrobat 9, it will scramble the print.

I use: Lucida Console 10 for all characters and the problem disappeared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines