• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Custom calculation script that calculates only visible fields has a delay in calculation

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a list of costs on a final summary page. Based off radio buttons that are clicked on previous pages, a specific product's "total" field will hide or show on that last summary page. I was successful in creating a field that calculated the sum of all the product totals - the visible fields on the summary page - with this script:

(function () {

var f, sum = 0;

// Loop through the text fields

for (var i = 1; i < 9; i += 1) {

// Get a reference to the current text field

f = getField("total." + i);

// If the current field is visible (and printable), numerically add it's value to the running sum

if (f.display === display.visible) {

sum += +f.value;

}

}

// Set this field's value to the sum

event.value = sum;

})();

The fields are labeled total.1, total.2, total.3, total.4, total.5, total.6, total.7, total.8.
The final sum field is labeled total.9

All of those are set as Read Only.

However, there is a delay in the calculation. When I click a certain radio button to unhide that products "total" field, the summary calculation doesn't add up correctly. If I click a new field it will calculate the previous radio button's selection. The confusing part is I have these fields in the correct order in the Field Calculation Order. Could there be any other reason for the delay?

I do have it set where the user can type in the quantity and individual cost of a product. That is what gives the product "total" fields (total.1, total.2, total.3, total.4, total.5, total.6, total.7, total.8) their value. Could that possibly be the reason?

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Hi ncc77,

If I understand the issue correctly, the value of 'total.9' is incorrect even when all the fields above them (total.0, total.1 ... total.8) are displaying correct values. This issue is occurring because of the execution order of the 'Calculate' events vs 'Mouse Up' events.

The javascripts used in your radio buttons to hide/unhide the total.0 ... total.8 fields are set with a trigger of 'Mouse Up' event, whereas, field calculation for total.9 is set on 'Calculate' event. In Acrobat, 'Calc

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's hard to say what's wrong without looking at the form. If you can post it somewhere, we can take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dropbox - SAS_Proposal_MasterForm.pdf

Page 1 has the toilet selection, page 2 has the showerhead and aerator selection.  Page 5 is the summary of all 4 products. (the blue number should be the sum of all 4 product selections.)
Right now I have the radio button values at a specific number to show water savings so I can't use that value to calculate cost. I use a script in the radio button this.getField("fieldname").display = display.visible; to hide/display certain totals on the 5th page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ncc77,

If I understand the issue correctly, the value of 'total.9' is incorrect even when all the fields above them (total.0, total.1 ... total.8) are displaying correct values. This issue is occurring because of the execution order of the 'Calculate' events vs 'Mouse Up' events.

The javascripts used in your radio buttons to hide/unhide the total.0 ... total.8 fields are set with a trigger of 'Mouse Up' event, whereas, field calculation for total.9 is set on 'Calculate' event. In Acrobat, 'Calculate' events takes priority over any 'Mouse Up' events. This means that the (total.9) field's value is calculated first after which the script is executed which hides/unhides the total.0 .. total.8 fields.

Possible solutions:

- Change the event trigger to 'Mouse Down' or 'On Focus' depending on your requirement, OR

- As mentioned by Bernd below, add this.calculateNow(); at the end of the scripts to force recalculation.

Let us know if this solves your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! I didn't realize Calculate events took priority over 'Mouse Up' events. That makes sense! I made both edits as you suggested and it works beautifully. I appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the scripts for the radio buttons add this:

calculateNow();

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi George,
We're you able to take a look at the document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines