Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting Excel to PDF breaks internal links

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

We have an issue that just popped up with exporting an Excel workbook with Internal and External links to a PDF. The Internal links all get removed, but the External links remain int he PDF.

We have the latest version of Acrobat DC and Office365. Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit.

I've seen a few discussions on this over the past year, with no real solution. And it was working for us a few weeks ago, so I am guessing either an Adobe or Office365 update broke the functionality.

Any suggestions?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello JkarisZIS,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused, as per the description above, the internal links in the PDF are not working after exported from Excel, is that correct?

Please navigate to ACROBAT ribbon in Excel and choose Preferences, under the Settings tab, make sure "Add Links" is checked.

Also, in the Acrobat's Preferences from Edit>Preferences>Convert to PDF>Highlight Microsoft Office Excel>Edit Settings>In Adobe PDF settings for supporting documents window, check the box for "Add links to Adobe PDF file" and click OK.

After making these changes/settings, Close Acrobat and try exporting the Excel file to PDF or try creating the PDF from Acrobat itself from File menu>Create>PDF from a file and see if the internal links are working or not.

You can also refer and try the suggestions from the following Adobe discussions Excel hyperlinks not working when converted to PDF

Excel hyperlinks not working after convert to PDF

If the issue persists, please share the following details:

Let us know how it goes and share your findings.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick response.

Add Links is checked.

I will look at the other option you mentioned right now, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello JkarisZIS,

Let us know how it goes and share your findings. If possible, please share a sample file so that we can test it at our end as well. To share the file, please use Adobe Send feature, upload the file, share the link to files via private message only, How Do I Send Private Message

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again,

Neither of the options worked to resolve the issue. I've sent you a link to the file in a private message.

Thanks again for your help and quick response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello JkarisZIS,

Thank you for sharing the details, we are looking in the file and will share an update shortly. Thanks for your time and patience.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Anand!

Any update on this yet?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How utterly frustrating.

Hunting through google and Adobe and no answer for what should be a basic function, and in fact in Adobe XI it was.

Hours wasted inserting links only to have the pdf rendered useless.  Disheartening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The selection for Microsoft office Excel does not appear in the list of "convert to PDF" preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It turns out my version of 365 was corrupt. 

After reinstalling, the PDF converter worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob. We will try that and let you know how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the reload, the Create PDF button under the ACROBAT tab, showed up. 

Then use the option that's appropriate, and the links work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I don't have OpenOffice; am using MS Excel 365 ProPlus in Windows.  I just applied updates, and it's still not working. 

Also, in Acrobat (Dc Pro) in the covert to PDF preferences, none of the MS Office apps appear in the list of formats.

This is really frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update-- links work if the link is to another file, but not to another worksheet in the workbook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish.

A link within the workbook is done via the Insert Hyperlink and selecting "Place in this Document"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand.  When i link to another place in this document it does not convert.  The link is dead in Acrobat, but as a test I tried linking to a file, and that link worked.  That's not what I want to accomplish, but it shows the problem is not with all links.  Just the internal ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No luck yet.

Anand, any luck on your end?

Internal links still do not convert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, we just tried using Nuance's PDF Pro and it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 06, 2018 Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello JkarisZIS,

Sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. The issue is intermittent with specific to the environment and on the dependency of Acrobat on Microsoft, we have already reported this to the development team and a fix has been identified and undergoing internal validations. We will share an update as soon as it is publically available.

Thanks for your time and patience thus far.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After endless not helpful chat discussion on the so called SUPPORT chat (now I understand that the definition of support @Adobe is different to the common one and mine) I saw this entry.
Same problem in my comstellation. Due to the fact, that it could be clearly shown, that ist issue is caused ONLY by Acrobat I will force you and your colleagues to provide solution immediately.
Facts based on
1) ONE Excel-file with INTERNAL links done on one computer
2) Conversion done with Acrobat DC pro in Version 2015.016.20045 --> conversion done including internal links working correct in pdf
3) Conversion done with Acrobat DC pro in Version 2018.011.20055 (latest Version!) --> conversion done, BUT internal links NOT working in pdf

it's clear: responsible --> Adobe

First entry here says "I've seen a few discussions on this over the past year" makes me not happy.

Adobe should provide solution within a a customer acceptabel time ....
Please go ahead.
Currently Acrobat ist not capaable to fullfil my demands due to updates somewhen done between Version 2015.016.20045 and 2018.011.20055 (latest version!).

I won't pay anymore for a product with lost functionality.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is now mare than 1 year ago and it still does not work.

When will the fix be implemented?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Suzanne,

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused and for the delayed response. I will gather more information around this and will share an update as soon as possible.

Thanks for your time and patience thus far.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update???? Its now November 2019 and I'm still dealing with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is still no solution to this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Four years later the problem still exists. 
In december 2023 ADOBE spend days working on my computer trying to solve this issue.  Your Adobe Case ADB-32173288-L6Q1

As result I got this:

Thank you for contacting Adobe.
We are happy to help. We are writing about your case.
This is to inform that the issue of links not working when exporting from Excel to PDF is a reported issue and the team is working to fix it as soon as possible. 
As of now we are closing the case.
Please feel free to contact us again if you need further assistance.

I'm still waiting.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines