Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font changing when creating PDF from Word

New Here ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When I create a PDF document from word, the font Times New Roman is getting changed to Times Roman.

Here I use the Acrobat Pro Dc for my conversion of word to PDF.

I found a similar blog Times New Roman in Word documents changes to TimesNewRomanPSMT in PDF documents (Create PDF)  explaining the problem.

Is there any solution to overcome this problem?

Can someone please help?

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

In Word go to the Acrobat ribbon and click on Preferences. Select the Conversion Settings profile you want to use and then click on Advanced Settings. Switch to the Fonts section and tick "Embed all fonts" (if it's not ticked already). If you want, save the profile under a new name and then use it when converting your file to a PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More information please?

What platform are you running on - Windows or MacOS? What version of Word?

Also, it would be helpful for you to provide a screen shot of what happens when you open the PDF file in Acrobat and show the Document Properties' Font listing so we can see exactly what the font status is in terms of font referenced versus font used, embedding status, etc.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, that's a pretty normal transformation, which tends to go away if you embed fonts. They are considered equivalent so Reader is likely to use Times New Roman in some variation to show PDF files which say to use Times Roman.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same problem using my Mac. It changed my fonts to Times New Roman. So how do you embed fonts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Word go to the Acrobat ribbon and click on Preferences. Select the Conversion Settings profile you want to use and then click on Advanced Settings. Switch to the Fonts section and tick "Embed all fonts" (if it's not ticked already). If you want, save the profile under a new name and then use it when converting your file to a PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What/where is the 'Acrobat' ribbon in Word 2016?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Precisely. WHAT in heaven's name is the "Acrobat Ribbon" in Word. No one I know... knows. Please be more specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a few hours I figured it out thanks to myself:

Mac Users:

Click on the Word tab.

Click on the Save option.

At the bottom check the Embed fonts in the file box.

Exit out and resave your word document as a pdf.

Unfortunately I do not know how to do it on a PC yet but once I figure it out I'll update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super helpful--had no idea what the Adobe Ribbon was!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just adding one one step to the process..

Click on WORD tab
-> Click on PREFERENCES
Click on SAVE option

At the bottom check the Embed fonts in the file box.

Exit out and resave your word document as a pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! That one step made a world of difference!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

God bless you all! Once again the Adobe experts are smug and unhelpful, but the community solves our issues once again! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this. Most of the help request answers related to Microsoft don't match anything I see on my screen, which is an endless frustration I've dealt with for years as a Mac user. The answer is always something super simple, but non-mac users want you to provide your blood type when diagnosing. The problem 9/10 is that the instructions don't match anything close to the UI if you're using Mac and looking at one of the thousands of outdated knowledgebase articles that are completely useless. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2023 Apr 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Legend. Thank you so much. This has been annoying me for ages. Finally...problem solved. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! Mac users, this is the answer for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google knows. The Acrobat ribbon (sometimes called the Acrobat tab) should appear for everyone licensing the right version of Acrobat Pro and having Word for Windows. Here is Microsoft's suggestions for making sure you can see it. https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/get-the-adobe-acrobat-tab-to-appear-b83cbba3-7bc1-4c75-b8dc...

c764af9b-c940-420f-8d71-a09bc61171b3

This screen shot is from the article. Look at the RIGHT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2023 Jul 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!! This solved my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you show us by a screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have hte Acrobat Ribbon, though the preference options in the acrobat ribbon don't provide any options. Also in acrobat itself you can choose to update preferences from to convert from word to pdf, but it does not allow changes there either. You can convert directly from word to pdf by using the save option in word, though that does not keep the hyperlinks in your doc. So still curious about how other people solved it... ( I am a mac user)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac ribbon has minimal functions, and often sends the files to the cloud for conversion. It's often said that the Windows Word is much more powerful for apps to add stuff. Don't know if that's the reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS... go to Word > Preferences > Output and Sharing > Save

In Save go to the bottom and click on Embed fonts in file...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't working for me. 😕 And same with the Adobe Ribbon Preferences button not having any options. (I have a Mac OS)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES, THANK YOU! I knew I had done it before, but couldn't find where it was buried. This does the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Mac OS users - when saving as a pdf select 'best for printing' rather than 'best for electronic distribution'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works but it does not function for electronic distribution. This has two problems: (1) It will not embed URLs so that a user could click a link the way they can in the document in Word, and (2) the document loses compliance with disability requirements. For my job I need to produce pdfs that are legal in terms of disability law and maintain clickable URLs that users can connect to the web with. I would also like to retain the same fonts I am using as the Word conversion becomes unpredictable without maintaining the same fonts (it produces embedded blank pages, etc.) Is there no way to do this simple task?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines