• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I open pdf's in separate windows in Adobe Acrobat Standard 23.001 version?

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The option is not there in Preferences -> General. Please let me know, I dont like them opening in new tabs in the same window, I want them to open in different windows.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Disable the new UI:

Amal_0-1661253905077.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uncheck “Open Documents as new tabs...”

Abambo_0-1681652882013.png

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ryan23690779hot9_1-1684355161040.png

Is there another way to access this option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow - that's surprising to see (or not see) the settings!  Does anyone else have this version to check the prefs?

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2024 Apr 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new Adobe Acrobat Pro software, yes allows you to separate the tab from the main document window to create a new window. Solution: Preferences►general► option to mark/unmark documents open in tabs.

On the PDF file page, in the Home Tools Document bar ....................................... ....round image in blue “user” ►Click “user name/email/adobe account appears... Preferences Logout”

Click ►Preferences ►General ►uncheck..."open documents new tabs in the same window - Requires Restart"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2024 Apr 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Roger_Karam  - the New Acrobat Pro does not provide the option you describe in Preferences > General.

For users who work with and cross-edit numerous .pdf files each day, separating each tab to create a new window is too slow and cumbersome. Adobe has acknowledged they removed the option to open each document in a new window, and they currently state they are working on reintroducing that feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will your version of Acrobat allow you to 'tear' the tab of additionally opened PDFs away from the window to stand alone as a second one?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run the Adobe Acrobat Pro, Version 2023.001.20174, and have the same problem. The version allows to tear the tab of the main document window to create a new window, but there is still not an option in preferences->general to check/uncheck open documents in tabs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disable the new UI:

Amal_0-1661253905077.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! You are a lifesaver.

What are the developers of the "New" acrobat thinking?  Do they know alot of people use multiple screens to work on several PDFs at once?  Sure, you can drag out the tab but it's annoying and can easily lose track where is what when I have to work on dozens of PDFs per day.   

Hint to developers:   If it ain't broken!  Dont Fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you are a lifesaver. The hours I have wasted...! The frustration with completely unintuitive placements and discardings...  Thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I generally like the new UI, but have had to "Disable the new Acrobat UI" for this reason. Hope they add it soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2024 Feb 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.  My concern would be if the future releases of Acrobat don't offer this "old version" hack for multiple windows, I'll need to find another PDF viewer.   Adobe, please don't "phase out" this feature!   

I almost have to think that most business people need multiple windows to spread multiple PDF docs across the multiple monitors we use.   I run at least 5 or 6 open PDF files at any point, and it's so tough to remember which tab I'm looking for, especially if the naming convention of the file is very long and is nearly identical across several files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2024 Feb 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly my feelings and requirements! One must seriously wonder what exactly Adobe is gaining by disabling this function in the "new" release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OMG, this is CORRECT!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2023 Jul 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running version 2023.003.20215

When I first went into the General tab, the option you have highlighted with the arrow was not there; just a space where it looks like it should be.

To get over this issue, on the toolbar I selected "View" then "Disable new Acrobat". Documents then reverted to the previous UI and opened in separate windows.

Interestingly, now that I have 'Disabled new Acrobat' the option identified above now appears in the Preferences>General tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same process steps for myself just now and agree with comments above as to "what developers are thinking"!  Too many times w too many products these days, too much "junk" being attached that is not helpful or in the way!  KISS concept seemingly lost...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're a star, same issue for me, using Acrobat Pro on a Mac 2023.006.20360. Using view menu has solved the problem. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same experience for me on Mac OS X Monterey.
How in the world are we supposed to figure this out? I think the app developers don't actually use Acrobat so don't know how difficult the new UI is. Why change a good thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm using Acrobat Pro, version 2023.006.20320 and Windows 11, version 22H2, build 22621.2861.

Using Windows 11's "personalization" setting for its taskbar, I had already turned off s "grouping" of icons on its taskbar. That worked for every program except Acrobat. It still opens PDFs as tabs in a single window.  I just tried unchecking the "Open documents as new tabs in the same window" box in Adobe's Preferences, scrolled down & clicked the OK button, and even rebooted, but PDFs are still opening as tabs in one window.  

This is very disruptive to my work. Is there anything else I can do to turn off this "feature"?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2023 Jun 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also do NOT like this new version of Adobe Pro. They change the whole interface but to me it's not user friendly. In addition to the inability of set preference to open documents in new windows, I have been having problem where I select 'Add text comment', instead of the function being ON and I can just click anywhere and start typing comment, I now have to reselect the function everytime before inserting comment at a new spot. Anyone experiences this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(…) In addition to the inability of set preference to open documents in new windows, (…)

By @Tri30591967qvqy

This doesn't work for you? https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-do-i-open-pdf-s-in-separate-windows-in-adobe-...

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ended up going back to the previous version. Thanks Tri30591967qvqy 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe needs to be hammered on X.  When that happens, they usually respond with a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea (X). Just made a post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines