• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How much disk space does your Acrobat installation take?

New Here ,
Oct 17, 2015 Oct 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed this morning that my installation of Acrobat DC currently uses 3.03GB of disk space on my Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10 Pro. I think this is excessive - it is nearly 4 times as large as the entire Microsoft Office Suite (850MB). Is this a typical installation size for most people?

Unrelated: Surely I can't be the only one who noticed that the "Complete FAQ" link is dead (the green button) on the start page for this sub-forum. Come on Adobe, where's the QA/QC?

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

By far the biggest consumer is the Windows Installer database, which keeps a complete copy of the installer so you can repair. A single version sounds about right at that figure, but each update will add a lot more. If you get a lot of updates, an uninstall then reinstall, and the one latest update, will reduce space.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Oct 17, 2015 Oct 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi slavrenz,

Acrobat DC is a bulky application with so many features, that's the reason it consumes so much space after installation.

Mine has occupied 3.72GB.

Acrobat DC FAQ link is active, please check FAQ | Adobe Acrobat DC

Regards,
Aadesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2016 Mar 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't see any help in the FAQ section to reduce the install size.

My Adobe Acrobat DC install is now being reported as 7.4 GB on Windows 7 64 bit, quite an extreme size considering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 22, 2016 Mar 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something sounds very wrong if you have that much space being used. The installer not only installs the executables, but also a copy of the installer itself is maintained in the directory. If your Program Files (x86)=>Adobe=>Acrobat DC directory is 7.4GB, maybe you also have a copy of Reader installed as well? If so, dump Reader since Reader is simply a subset of Acrobat. That would reduce your disk space requirements.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had to install reader because Fileopen wouldn't work with Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌You shouldn't see that much in Program Files but you will in Add/Remove Programs. Each update  least adds 3x its download size. Normal if painful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick replies.

The 'inaccurate' reported sizes may be correct as I was looking in the add/remove programs section.

The total files are a bit over the place, being in program, common and user data, so a bit harder to just sum up.

I un-installed and re-installed, which is reporting back as 2.37 GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By far the biggest consumer is the Windows Installer database, which keeps a complete copy of the installer so you can repair. A single version sounds about right at that figure, but each update will add a lot more. If you get a lot of updates, an uninstall then reinstall, and the one latest update, will reduce space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, my Adobe Acrobat DC via Creative Cloud was sized at a whopping 13.8Gb this morning when looked at using the Windows 7 Uninstaller. Whaaat...

I uninstalled and reinstalled and now it's down to 2.44 Gb. Still huge but more reasonable. The program seems to grow with every update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, because each update is stored at least twice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Acrobat DC is 15.2 GB (via the Windows Program list). It's one third larger then even my most bloated program. johnr65973011​ Did you unintall from Creative Cloud or via the Windows control panel? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Seth,

I think I did both uninstall and reinstall using the Creative Cloud control panel. Certainly the reinstall was via CC.

Good luck.

PS - I just realised that this thread was started by Rick Astley. There's a real danger of getting rickrolled in this situation!

Rickrolling - Wikipedia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, over 16gb here after installing updates.  Is there a way to reduce the file size without uninstalling and reinstalling?  I don't need all of the backups on backups for the original install and updates.  I'd rather have a clean hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Windows uninstaller on my PC claims Acrobat DC takes up 15.9GB but the entire Adobe folder is less than 3 GB large. Maybe Windows simply makes a mistake by reporting a bloated installation. Did you check actual disk space usage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The size is not accurate, but it's important to realise that installing software uses space in a lot more places than the "Adobe folder". A key place is the Windows Installer Database on C.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Pro DC on MacOS 10.11, aka El Capitan : 1,2 Gb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes and on Mac there is no installer database.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines