• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to clear signature in acrobat pro dc

Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2015 Apr 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to clear a signature on a DC document form that I created. I used to be able to do so by right-clicking the signature field and choose "Clear Signature" but that option is not available.

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 13, 2015 Apr 13, 2015

Hello Pete,

The "Clear Signature" option is available in Acrobat Pro DC as it was in Acrobat XI Pro.

You can clear a signature if you are the signer, that is, if the digital ID with which you did the signing is available to Acrobat.

I can think of two reasons that "Clear signature" might not be available:

1. Your digital ID is not available to Acrobat Pro DC. That is, you have not yet imported it for use in Acrobat or don't have your smart card in the reader, etc.

2. When you signed the PDF, you chos

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 13, 2015 Apr 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Pete,

The "Clear Signature" option is available in Acrobat Pro DC as it was in Acrobat XI Pro.

You can clear a signature if you are the signer, that is, if the digital ID with which you did the signing is available to Acrobat.

I can think of two reasons that "Clear signature" might not be available:

1. Your digital ID is not available to Acrobat Pro DC. That is, you have not yet imported it for use in Acrobat or don't have your smart card in the reader, etc.

2. When you signed the PDF, you chose the option to "Lock Document After Signing".

Regards,

Charlene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2016 Jun 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just upgraded to DC Pro and have exactly the same issue. I could always just right-click & select 'clear signature' but now thsi is no longer an option - whereas on exactly th same form with Acrobat XI it works a treat.

???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 09, 2016 Aug 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Oisin,

"Clear signature" is enabled on a signed signature field if the digital ID that was used to sign the document is available to Acrobat.

That is, it is listed in the identities here:

Edit > Preferences, Signatures category.

Click the "more..." button next to "Identities & Trusted Certificates".

Click the "Digital IDs" category.

If the digital ID used for signing is stored in a file, then you will need to use the "Add ID" button on the "Identities and Trusted Certificates" to add the digital ID to the list.

Regards,

Charlene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charlene,

That procedure does not "clear a digital signature"

That procedure is for removing Certificates from the computer.

The question is: I have a single copy of a form which someone has digitally signed. I need to clear the previous signature to use the form again.

How do I "clear" the digital signature from the form object (in the previous Acrobat Pro we could right-click the signature and "clear" it)?

Is Adobe telling use we have to rebuild/gen the form in order to blank forms? !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello keno54924237,

You are correct, the steps can be used to add/remove a certificate from use in Acrobat.

(It does not actually remove it from the computer).

For clearing a signature, the signing certificate must be available in that list.

That is, the certificate that was used for the signature must be on Acrobat's Digital IDs list.

If the certificate is not on Acrobat's list, then you cannot clear the signature (the current problem).

Therefore, I provided steps on how to add the certificate back into Acrobat's list of Digital IDs.

Once it is there, Clear Signature is available.

Regards,

Charlene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with these instructions, is that it has not been specified where Adobe DC stores the digital ID signatures. What is the default path that the file is stored in?

Rod Merrill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am having the same issue as the others. I have an old pdf that I have a digital signature attached on. When I look on my account on the Digital ID and trusted certificate, it shows my name. But when I open the pdf and right click on the digital ID signature space, it won't allow me to delete it? I am not sure if I am not completely understanding you correctly, but this doesn't seem to be user friendly at all and your directions are not apparently right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True True...instructions are not clear.  Im unable to clear my own signature on the PDF I'd like to reuse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the instructions on how to even access the Manage My Digital ID's section... However, how do we add? What am I looking for? I thought I was just going to add another jpeg as a signature but it's looking for some other kind of file with a code. I was VERY used to Acrobat XI... I didn't have to do any of these extra steps. And I'm not an IT, so you're going to have to walk me through it like I'm a four-year old.

Well, I feel like a child sometimes... When I click on the sign button, and I see the incorrect signature, I can click on the circle with the minus sign, to the right of the image. This prompts a new field to select the image you want to use... Seems like a much easier way than going and trying to change/understand configurations, digital id's, accessibility, etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent advice and it worked. Wished I had discovered this a hour ago.

Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was driving me crazy but I figured out a way to delete the old signature. All I had to do is click on "Edit PDF" in the tool bar and then you can click on and delete anything you want, including signatures. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you found something that worked. Unfortunately that isn't a fix for those of us where form is locked for editing by the creator. In my case the signature is invalid because adobe froze up in the middle of signing. I have no option to clear it out, and I was the last signature of several people before me. I really wish Adobe would fix this as there are a ton of people with the same issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still do not see a solution to this question.  Did anyone find out how to clear the signature from a document I signed?  I JUST signed the document, so the digital certificate is there, but the "Clear Signature" option is NOT there.  HELP!  PLEASE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2019 Feb 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save the file, close it, then re-open it and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2019 Sep 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This actually worked for my case. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue here. I have some pdf form that was signed. I want to re-use the form and I cannot edit it because of the d--m signature. There is nobody at Adobe to tell us what to do. What a crappy product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If YOU are the signer, you should be able to delete the digital signature, UNLESS you have locked the document. The (deleted) signature is still in the document, in an earlier version, but should show as deleted in the signature panel. (There is a special consideration if you are deleting the last signature on a document) You can't really just roll the document back to an earlier state, especially if you are the first signer (since there is no earlier state revision of the document).

When a PDF is modified, the modifications are saved by appending the revision information (version) to the original document. There are no regular modification procedures that roll the document to an earlier state. An exception to this rule is when there are (some) digital signatures on the document. You can save a version that corresponds to a particular signed version, with all the subsequent signatures (and form fillout, etc) removed. That option is available from the signature panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. 

I can't clear my own signature on a document which has that as the only signature. 

I'm in the list of trusted certificates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a solution to clearing an electronic signature?  I have a document that I created, forwarded for signature and it has been signed by someone else as requested.  I would like to create a document from the original form so I need to clear the electronic signaature from the original form.  That option is not available.  

Is there a way to clear an electronic signature when you are not the signer of that docuement?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try saving it as a copy.

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried that (saving as a copy) many times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download a tool from here that strips signatures from a PDF

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/programs/downloadsearch.cfm?searchtype=simple&searchmode=cat&key...

It's not free.

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just managed to remove a DocuSign signature from a scanned document by printing it to Adobe PDF and voila .. no more signature.
Similar to my old trick of printing twice (to XPS and then back to PDF again) to remove protections off other PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a customer that has created & signed docuemts using Adobe Acrobat DC. Occasionally they have to clear that signature and then resign. Recently they upgraded to Adobe Acrobat Pro 2020 and now if I open those same documents created using Acrobat DC they're unable to clear the signature, which they've alwasy been able to do in the past. The "clear signature" isn't even an option when they right-click on the signature box. If they create & sign a document using Acrobat 2020, the can clear the signature, just no documents create in Acrobat DC. The customer is still using the same laptop so nothing has changed from a hardware or local profile perspective. Is there anything I can do!?!?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines