Copied

how to prevent pdf files save locally or forward the document to anyone

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Not possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.. do you know any other alternatives I should use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you trying to achieve?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need to restrict a document (available on website or send by email) to the following criteria:

1. Cannot edit the document
  2. Cannot print the document
  3. Cannot save locally or forward the document to anyone

I believe first 2 could be achieved with Acrobat, not sure about 3rd point, how to manage

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1+2 can be done using a security policy, although many PDF viewers will still allow it, unfortunately.

3 is impossible, as I said, because in order to view a PDF file you must first be able to download it. And once it's downloaded you can forward it to someone else and that can't be stopped. The only thing you can do is limit who is allowed to open the file, either by using a file-open password (again, quite easy to get around) or with DRM technology, which is very expensive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need to restrict a document (available on website or send by email) to the following criteria:

1. Cannot edit the document
  2. Cannot print the document
  3. Cannot save locally or forward the document to anyone

I believe first 2 could be achieved with Acrobat, not sure about 3rd point, how to manage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2019 Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't answer your own question: How much does it cost?

And if you believe in this protection so much then share a sample link to such a file and let us test it for ourselves...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2019 Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, just for the hell of it, I did try it. For starters, I would never upload any file that I consider to be sensitive enough that I want to block access to it to an unknown server, especially not one that was registered in China (according to a WhoIs.net domain lookup I ran). You never know in whose hands (private or governmental) it will end up... And there's no contact information of any kind or any details about the owners, developers, etc. of this website. If a service is free I expect to at least know who is behind it. If not, I'm worried about their intentions, especially when they ask users to send them sensitive information.

Secondly, it took me less than 5 minutes to be able to download the original file I uploaded based on the "secure share link". Of course, the downloaded copy has no restrictions applied to it whatsoever. Anyone with a modicum of tech-savviness would be able to do the same.

In conclusion, your "protection" is worthless and your reason for offering this service is dubious, at best. Please stop spamming the forums with links to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2019 Oct 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you even read my reply? I do not have a "new conclusion". I still think it is impossible, and your website did not prove me wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2019 Oct 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have no idea what you're talking about...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines