• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Internal links in a large PDF taking too long to open

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem is a PDF document that after I added some internal links, it takes too much time to go from page to page or from a link to corresponding page. I am using version 11 of Acrobat Pro on a windows 7 machine. The document is 123 pages and is 11 Meg in size. The document starts out with a list of places and page numbers and followed by a series of maps. The links are put over the page numbers in the list so the users will then go directly to the corresponding area on each map. There are 1621 places/links. It takes a minute and twenty seconds to open the PDF. To go manually from page to page takes twenty-eight seconds. To use the link to go to one of the locations takes twenty seconds. I have tried to save it as an “Optimized PDF” and a “Reduced Size PDF” and this didn’t make any difference. The problem does not get any better on any different machine. Everyone really loves the concept but wants to know if things could be speeded up. Any help with this would be great! 

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is each page has a large number of individual graphics (and perhaps text) objects, which can take a lot of time to render. But it's really hard to say what's wrong without seeing a sample. Can you post one somewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a one of the list and one of the drawings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd really need to take a look at an actual file. You can't tell much with just a screen shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have some 100+ pages of CAD sourced PDF pages?

Page size? Actual PDF producer?

These and other variables can result in only marginally ISO 3200 (PDF ISO Standard) compliant PDFs and/or images of the engineering drawing rather than renderable text and lines and/or LARGE file size footprint and/or outlined fonts (a graphic drawing of the glyph rather than one rendered from something mapped from Unicode and so on.

Consequence is slow, slow pull up and screen render.

A hardware variable that contributes is what is used for graphics? Slow (nice 3-speed bicycle) is the integrated with mother board approach. Desired (the mountain bike) is a dedicated graphics card - more RAM is better (and this isn't that expensive these days).

Bentley / AutoCAD / other high end stuff Can output proper PDF (see user manual/Help) but if not properly set up even they can/do output subpar PDF. Low end stuff - well it is low end (gigo in operation).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I get you a copy of the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't want to post one publicly (e.g., acrobat.com, dropbox), feel free to email me one at: acroscript at gmail dot com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AutoCAD 2016 was how the drawings were created. I used a "dwg to pdf.pc3" to convert to PDF's. 11" x 17" is the page size. My machine is running an Intel Core i3-2120 CPU @3.30GHz, 16.0GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2000 video card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file that you sent took a similarly long time to load and load pages. It probably is due to the large number of vector objects on each page, but I can't rule out some other issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also created a version without the links and it opens right up and you can go from page to page like you're supposed to. I just sent that to you George.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's interesting. I'll be able to take a look at it later today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines