• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Microsoft Office 2010 and Acrobat 9

Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2010 May 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a PC with Microsoft Office 2010 (RTM, not the beta) and Acrobat 9 Professional.  (They were installed in that order as well.)

There is no indication when you are in Word, PowerPoint, etc. that Acrobat is present.

Our company previously used Office 2003, and the PDF maker showed up in the form of toolbar buttons and menus.  But in Office 2010, I don't see anything.

When I go into the Word Options / Add-ins, PDF Maker is present, not disabled, but I'm not really sure how to use it within Word.

Anyone have any ideas?  Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , May 21, 2010 May 21, 2010

Bill is correct about this. The following article explains this problem further... http://ptihosting.com/blog/it-blog/microsoft-office-2010-rtm-and-adobe-acrobat-incompatible/

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 06, 2010 May 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good chance it does not work. Every time MS releases a product, Acrobat has to go back to the drawing board to fix the PDF Maker option. However, there may be various things to check. One that that the toolbar is selected to appear (assuming it is in the list). There should normally be an Acrobat menu on the menu line. If those do not show, then it is likely that AA9 PDF Maker is not compatible with OFFICE 2010.

You should still be able to print to the Adobe PDF printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2010 May 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill is correct about this. The following article explains this problem further... http://ptihosting.com/blog/it-blog/microsoft-office-2010-rtm-and-adobe-acrobat-incompatible/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2010 Jun 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found Adobe's answer to the question as below somewhat troubling, especially given the time that Office 2010 has been in either beta or release version:

Q: Will Acrobat 9 be updated to support Office 2010?

A: “Adobe plans to add support for its Acrobat PDFMaker technology for Office 2010 in the next major version of Acrobat.* We have not made any announcements about updating Acrobat 9 PDFMakers for Office 2010.”

I seem to remember similar issues with Acrobat around previous releases of Windows or Office.  I would therefore appreciate knowing the details of Adobe's updates required for both Acrobat 8 and Acrobat 9 to ensure full compatibility with Office 2010, and if these can be available before the end of June 2010, by when I believe Office 2010 will already be on the retail market.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There will likely not be an update for AA8 to be OFFICE 2010 compatible, and maybe not for AA9 either. I suspect you will see AA10 shortly to address this issue.

As far as development, apparently AA9 worked with the beta version of 2010 from what I remember seeing in posts and that quit after the final release. Adobe has to go back and check what needs to be done to create the compatibility, and that may take a bit of time. As I mentioned, this may be added to the next release and not AA8 or AA9. In the meantime, print to the Adobe PDF printer. Sorry, you will just have to live without the automatic generation of links and such.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will the Adobe printer work in Acrobat 8 with Office 2010?

I can live with that if that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should work,Microsoft has posted that it will provide a 'Save as PDF' like Office 2007 has in SP2. Or you might be able to use Open Office to make a PDF from an Office 2010 docx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the update. That will be a big help. I am currently using

Office 2003 and have no experience of 2007 so I appreciate the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2010 Jun 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other Post with this PB : http://forums.adobe.com/thread/628487?tstart=60

Official ADOBE Response is : Migrate to ADOBE Acrobat 10 to fix this issue

I migrate last year to ADOBE Acrobat 9 (cause I migrate from XP to Seven) ... and this version (9.3.2) won't be fixed to work with Office 2010. I agree that they can't fix every version but at least N and N-1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Acrobat 9.3.2 installed on my system. I will be ordering Office 2010 as soon as it is released, probably tomorrow, June 15. Frankly, I do not see any real problem if you can still print to the Adobe PDF Printer to create your PDF from any Office 10 application.

Ken Friedman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems too 'convenient' (for Adobe at least) to yet again say "migrate to a new version" (i.e spend another $100-$200) on it), seemingly almost every time a new Windows Operating Sysem or Office version comes out.  Other vendors seem to have their patches available in time for a new relaeas.  Why not Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There maybe 2 major issues here. First Adobe has a large number of complex program suites that they create and maintain. The CS, Creative Suites, have a number of variations of various programs like Indesign, Illustrator, PhotoShop, After Affects, Flash, etc. PhotoShop need updates as each camera manufacturer introduces a new camera that creates a RAW image, or capture of the data received by the image sensor. And these programs have to be able to interact with each other.

And then there is the coding of MS Office. Is the script language being used in version 10 being changed at the application level, what new or different coding hooks need to be used to integrate the PDF Maker into Word,  Also will Acrobat 10 support the prior versions of MS Office? And if so they will have to provide a way to have PDF maker work with those versions and all the language variations of Acrobat and Reader.

Has Microsoft released Office 2010 yet?

Do you know if Adobe is working on an update for Acrobat or not?

I do not work for Adobe nor Microsoft. I still use Acrobat 8 Pro and MS Office 2003 on Windows XP.

Where I work, they are still buying new computers with Windows XP installed or are allowed to install Windows XP. I have even seen ads for new computers that come with an option to install Windows XP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> Has Microsoft released Office 2010 yet?

Microsoft Office 2010 has been available to the public as a beta since November 2009.

The 'gold' version was released to manufacturing April 2010.  Business customers could get it late April, and the public retail release is tomorrow (June 15).

>> Do you know if Adobe is working on an update for Acrobat or not?

There's no motivation for Adobe to patch Acrobat 9 or prior versions when they seem to come out with a new version every 22 months.

On their current pace starting with Acrobat 5, the next version should drop any time now.

Ver. 5 to 6  = 26 months

Ver. 6 to 7  = 18 months

Ver. 7 to 8 =  22 months

Ver. 8 to 9 = 20 months

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is Adobe's official reply to your point:

Q: Will Acrobat 9 be updated to support Office 2010?

A: “Adobe plans to add support for its Acrobat PDFMaker technology for Office 2010 in the next major version of Acrobat.* We have not made any announcements about updating Acrobat 9 PDFMakers for Office 2010.”

This I found very much an 'I don't care' type of attitude from Adobe - "just buy the new version".  Spending $100-$200 on Acrobat every 22 months for no additional benefit is effectively a "forced purchase" (more like from a gangster movie).  Pay up or you're done for!  I paid $149 for THREE installs of Windows 7, after having used XP for 6 years, and so I was quite happy to pay $50/copy for the upgrade.  Paying about the same to Adobe every 22 months seems more like a rip-off.

Even a month or two after Windows 7 came was launched and actually on sale to the public, the only references on the Acrobat assistance page still referred to XP, Vista and I think W2000 or Windows ME and no mentino of W7 !  It was as if W7 did not exist for Adobe, while the rest of the PC world was heavily focused on it.  This is the same attitude again with Office 2010 - "wait for the next version".

I hope Adobe will re-think their palns for Acrobat 8 and 9, and provide simple compatibility upgrades for its customers for Office 2010

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well then there is an opportunity for you. Get the SDK for Acrobat and MS Office and write a plug-in that will convert an Office document to a PDF.  Or create a PDF converter using GhostScript.

Or you could by a competitor's product like Nitro PDF.

If a large number of commercial license holders are not upgrading to MS Office 2007 or 2010 and Acrobat 9 or 10, then there is a lot of reasons for Adobe and Microsoft to adjust their business plans and reduce their costs to match their revenue streams.

In a world of more complex devices, not all of the technology comes together at the same time. Nikon introduced a series of new cameras and did not have software that would process the RAW files for 3 or 4 months. Purchasers needed to shot RAW and Jpeg and save the RAW files for when the software became available.

As one of my bosses from 30 years ago explained "When you are on the cutting edge of technology be prepared to bleed." His approach was to wait one or two updates and see if there were any major problems in the system before applying any system patches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll look out for the SDK or nitro pdf.  Thanks for the tips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that the retail version of Office 2010 has been released.  I think that the Beta was released at the end of 2009 with a later release version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect that the basic print to the Adobe PDF printer works with OFFICE 2010. The issue is with the plugin that creates links. When comparing to other products that work with OFFICE 2010, be careful and be sure you are comparing the same things. Do they create links and such?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2010 Aug 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to Office 2010 as well, but I have kept Office 2003 installed.  I get an error when trying to convert a pdf to a Word doc, probably because it is accessing Word 2010.  So is there a way to ensure that it tries to convert to my Word 2003 that is installed?  Perhaps that would work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 21, 2010 Aug 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to print to the Adobe PDF printer from either OFFICE 2003 or OFFICE 2010. You should be able to use PDF Maker in OFFICE 2003, but not OFFICE 2010. The problem with trying to convert a DOC file directly in Acrobat is it will go to the default WORD -- WORD 2010 in your case. You might be able to change the system default and then get it to work with OFFICE 2003 as a result. An annoying feature about OFFICE 2007 (proably also in 2010) is that I can not use the equation editor when in the compatibility mode -- the new eq. editor only works in the DOCX mode. I am debating trying to install the OFFICE 2003 eq editor. Fortunately, I use a different technical word processor and so it is not a big deal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2010 Aug 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent a fortune on Acrobat Pro Extended only to find out that it has limited compatibility with Office 10 and the bundled Presenter has none.

What is wrong with Adobe that they don't keep pace with Microsoft?

Content edited because it was not consistent with the requirements of the Adobe Community Guidelines. For more information, please see our Adobe Community Guidelines and adobe.com Terms of Use.

Message was edited by Jochem van Dieten

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 28, 2010 Aug 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We got it. You have posted the same response in at least 2 forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Despite the "ranting" element of what Psychorant writes, he is basically correct.

On EVERY occasion in my memory when Microsoft has brought out a new version of Windows or Office, an update or patch for Acrobat to keep it up-to-date as well has been "nowhere to be seen".

For example, when Windows 7 came out, even several months later, in the regular updates for Acrobat 8 they were still not even mentioning whether the software was compatible with Windows 7 or not, and yet Windows 2000 or 98 were still well described!  I got a similar feeling when Office 2010 came out.  Adobe made no mention of it and just mumbled that they would "get to that later" i.e. with a new Acrobat release which would cost me.

Frankly put, Adobe does not want to "do its job" and stay up to date as other vendors do, it wants us to 'hang around' wait for a patch which often never comes and then force us to buy a complete new version.

Due to its repetition, this seems to be a DELIBERATE policy of Adobe's to consistently keep Acrobat out-of-date either with Windows or Office releases, with the message that "we'll get to it it our next release" - (i.e. you will have to purchase yet another version of Acrobat for no good reason).  This to me is an abuse of its market position, and yes, I too would be happy to join a class action about this is one came up,

To have to pay, at a minimum $149 every couple of years to update a relatively small part of my software from my point of view (i.e. one which holds the 'print image' as a file electronically instead of sending it ot the printer) clearly looks like monopollistic abusive behavior to me.  You can buy a whole new Office 2010 suite of 5 or more programs for $220, one which I had not done for 7 years (since 2003), so $149 every couple of years for a single Adobe program because Adobe deliberatley chooses not to keep its products compatible is a true rip-off to me.

When multiple companies, many much smaller than Adobe can have their 'patches' for Windows 7 or Office 2010 ready around the time of the new Microsoft release and yet Adobe, often with vastly more resources than others does NOT, it smells of deliberate market manipulation.

For $149 I purchased Windows 7 complete operating system updates for two PC's (could have worked for three!), and yet I have found frequently myself facing that same purchase cost amount or more with Adobe every couple of years simply to keep my Acrobat compatible with Microsoft software updates.  I can do about as much with Acrobat 5, 6, 8, or 9 for my purposes, so these additional costs have brought me, in effect, nothing.  I still "print a spreadsheet" or document in Acrobat instead of to paper.  Where is the innovation or benefit for all that money?  There is none, in effect for me.  The only "benefit" is in actually keeping whatever I had previously, so I'm having to pay this money to stop whatever I have being taken away (is this like protection money?)!

These "things which annoy us" with our software becoming suddenly obsolete more often than not do not typically happen "by accident". Big corporations with market dominance like Adobe employ enough MBA's and marketing managers to know exactly which segmenets of the market will need the patches or updates, and when, and then they make a simple profit calculation of how many users will be p***sed off enough to go out an buy the latest Adobe software becausee they feeled forced to, and how many will instead simply put up with it not functioning fully.  This is not being "customer oriented" at all, despite big companies' PR regular claims to the contrary.

For Adobe to try and whine and say "it's got to modify a lot of it's programs, and it should not be expected to be up to date with all the Microsoft changes" is simply B*S.  Theirs looks like a is deliberately chosen policy to me.  I will certainly be checking out other products which make .pdf's simply because to spend yet another $149 or more each time on new Acrobat versions and so frequently [5,6,8,9,(now 10?) etc] as Adobe conveniently "plans" for us to do is not something I intend to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 months age there were no 3rd party programs with converters for Office 10 to PDF.

Now there are 2 but these programs are not as robust as the Adobe product.

MS Office has the 'Save as PDF..." command.

Adobe and Microsoft both offer SDKs, which should provide one with enough information to create the necessary plug-in. If you do not want to create one, then you will have to wait.

As for the cost, I know of users that have paid more than $1,500.00 US for image editing programs only to find that there are problems with Windows 7 and their editing program and the RAW image produced by their camera. And these issues are being addressed but not as fast as every one would like.

Microsoft offers a Windows 7 XP mode and there are virtual PC add-ons that might let you run Windows XP programs under Windows 7.

Many large corporations have not upgraded to Windows Vista, Windows 7, MS Office 2007, or MS Office 2010 because it is too expensive and complex for them to move off of Windows XP. In fact, the delay in Microsoft stopping support for Windows XP and that there are still new computers being sold with Windows XP as an installed OS are because of these users and their refusal to upgrade.These users have done their due diligence by reading the documentation, testing, and talking to others about the problems regarding the upgrade and how many applications or user specific modifications would needed to be made to make the move. They determined they did not want to move. They learned valuable lessons with he introduction of Windows XP and MS Office XP, when Microsoft change the VBA language and other features.

So it might not be a ;problem only caused by Adobe. And I am sorry if I offended any MicroShaft supporters. I have not considered MS the best OS and best solution since before 1982. The introduction the the IBM PC with MS-Dos was not the best possible solution. The Victor 9000 ran circles around the IBM PC and there were other systems that supported more than 640k or ram or provided multi-user OS solutions.

And I use Windows XP and have not moved to Vista, 7 or Office 2010 because of all of the programs and drivers I would have to update. But I am slowly updatng my applications to programs that could run on Windows 7, but I am doing my homework to make sure they will do what I want and can get me to where I want to be in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2010 Aug 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has troubled me as well. I am finding several issues with Acrobat 9's PDF Writer in a Win 7 x64, IE 8, Office 2010 environment.

For Office 2010, however, it is not really an issue. Office 2010 has built-in capabilities to print documents as a PDF:

Go to File -> save or send and you will find a button "create a PDF or XPS document"

Use that to create PDFs from Office 2010 documents / spreadsheets / presentations.

I am still having big issues printing from IE 8, but that is another subject ...

Hope that this is helpful,

RP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines