• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple languages & Accessibility = Designating second language to specific words in Acrobat Pro.

Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear community, could anyone please give me a clue how to solve this problem?
It is about a book for learning French as a foreign language, it is aimed at mother tongue English students. 
My task is to make this book accessible. The main language of the document is English, the second language is French.
In this book there are several vocabulary lists. Each word and its translation are in the same paragraph: they have the same paragraph style in InDesign but the translation (English) has a character style applied. 
Through the 'Object Properties Pane' in AcrobatPro, I'm try to designate the FRENCH language to the specific words, but it doesn’t work, unfortunately. As both words belong to the same paragraph it seems that these could be read (assistive technologies) either in English or in French.
Is there a way in Acrobat Pro to split the paragraph and make possible to assign a second language for the words in French?
I really hope there is a solution … 
Thank you in advance.
Ana 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

You can actually set it all in InDesign. Just set a character style called “French” for the phrases so that they are already set. Just edit the Character Style Advanced property and you will see the language tag.

FOR NOW: Remember that the Container is the object that holds the properties. Not those little boxes (MCs) next to the text. So, yes, you are correct. You will need to create spans for them.

Just create a new container called <Span> and move the word into it. Then right-click > Prop

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post if it helps you get responses.

<moved from using the community>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning kglag.
Thank you for your response. I'm still trying to find a solution. I'll now move the post. Hope it works.
Greetings 
Ana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can actually set it all in InDesign. Just set a character style called “French” for the phrases so that they are already set. Just edit the Character Style Advanced property and you will see the language tag.

FOR NOW: Remember that the Container is the object that holds the properties. Not those little boxes (MCs) next to the text. So, yes, you are correct. You will need to create spans for them.

Just create a new container called <Span> and move the word into it. Then right-click > Properties and set the language.

IF YOU NEED:

When you need to separate a single word or phrase:

1. In the tags tree select the container they are both in <P>
  2. Then on the page highlight the word you want to separate.
  3. Then back in the tags tree, right-click the tag you selected and choose “Create tag from selection”
  4. Create a new <Span> tag and move the word or phrase into it and set the language properties for that container.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank YOU so much maxwithdax for your great support :))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines