• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Print File Name with pdf Document

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2006 Aug 30, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to have an audit trail / track a document, I want to print the file name as a header or footer when printing the documents. How can this be done?
TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 161 Replies 161
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2011 Aug 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2011 Dec 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ReinhardF

great script, just does what I expected. One Question

Line:

& "fd.textSize=6;   "&vbLF _

I changed Textsize to 10 and it works fine, but is there a possibility to get the textstyle bold? I tried:

& "fd.textStyle=bold;   "&vbLF _

but didn't work. I don't to the Scripting Parameters so I ask in this Forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

there exists no property "textStyle". You have to choose a font in bold. So font:

font.TimesB, font.HelvB, font.CourB

can be used. If you add a I at the end it will be bold+Italic.

So you can Write (in above VBS file):

&"  fd.textSize=10; fd.textFont = font.TimesB;  "&vbLF_

Pay attention to the point that JS is case sensitive.

Load down the AcroJs.pdf helpfile and have a look at the Field Object -> Field properties.

So you may use textColor or fieldBorder or ...

Good luck, Reinhard

PS: That just gives me the idea to change the VBS-files so that the js-variable will be set by reading saved poor JS-Code.

That avoid the change to vbs-writing (&"         "&vbLF), the js-code could directly tested in the acrobat-js-console and all saved versions could be executed by selecting the file. I think I will put it on my list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reinhard,

To give users some variety, they can also use non-bold fonts, so brief font list looks like this:

fd.textFont = fontname;

where fontname can be:

font.Times

font.TimesB

font.Helv

Font.HelvB

font.Cour

font.CourB

We're taqlking about text in a footer, so you should not need more variety than this.

Yours,

Michael F

========

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"...... so you should not need more variety than this."

They have it already. You forgot the italic fonts - lol. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 08, 2014 Jan 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For googlers who find this thread down the road:

I made a tool to batch stamp PDF filenames.  You can get it here:

http://saintjohnny.com/pdffilenamelabeler

I've also added so that you can also stamp prefix/suffix before and after the filename, as well as stamp custom text ignoring filenames, and change the height of the stamp to go on the top of the page as a header if needed.  Since this isn't a true footer/header, it retains the information when combining PDFs later on which is a plus. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2014 Nov 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps someone has already suggested this, but if you are using Acrobat Pro (I'm on 11.0.0), go to Tools (now located on the upper right of the PDF) > Print Production > Add Printer Marks > Page Information. This will place the filename on the lower left of your PDF. You can also add trim, reg marks, and color bars, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2015 Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script to print filename in footer is great, but is there a way to print the filename ie in top or bottom center of the "selected view"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 29, 2015 Dec 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One can use the add water mark from text to place the file name anywhere on the page. One could also add a field to any location on the page and set it's value to the file name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't understand all this Java Script stuff.  Why, oh why, is this not built into the basic product?  Seems like a NO BRAINER.  Absolutely should not take a programmer to do this simple task...

Just saying...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat is pretty well bloated so adding many features that are not commonly used would just add the bloat.

When PDfs were introduced, it was to be a type of universal cross platform document reader and only a few users has the tools to create PDFs, sort of like the original Mac and Lisa. In order to keep backward compatibility for all versions of PDFs Adobe has kept the original design and scripting, unlike MS Word that has more than once changed the VBA code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you everybody for the great inputs.  I had a play of the javascript myself and got quite confused by the box coordinate.

1) Is x1,y1 the left lower hand corner of the box, and x2 y2 the right upper corner of the box?

2) The ToWidth business got me confused.  For example if I just want to put the filename, in font size 5, in the very top right hand upper corner of the page, how do I code the [x1, y1, x2, y2]  square box in the code please?

I would like to insert filename into the far right upper corner header of every document.  Document one may have 1000 x 1600 pixels per page; document two may be 600 x 800 pixels only; document three may be 1080 x 1024 per page for example.  How do I program the square box so it automatically calculates and fits the filename to the further top right hand corner every time please?

By the way there is a free software written by someone using C# you can download and do the job quickly without understanding anything.  It is here: by a guy called Saint Johnny.  His program is called: PDF Filename Labeller.

How To Batch PDF Filename, text date,time and Image Stamper (free) - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_3090625617&feature=iv&src_vid=7_2csux6A5M&v=H...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_3090625617&feature=iv&src_vid=7_2csux6A5M&v=H...

How To Batch PDF Filename, text date,time and Image Stamper (free) - YouTube

Commercial software like Nitro also lets you put variables into the header or footer.  However I do not know what the variable is called for filename and path.  Would anyone know please?

Enjoy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines