• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"prepare form" restricted due to security settings even though "filling of form fields" is allowed

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with a state sales tax document into which I have imported data in the past.  The state has uploaded a new form due to rate changes and now I am unable to import data into the form.  It is a fillable form and I have the ability to manually enter data field by field however this is very inefficient due to the number of fields we need to complete.  On previous versions of the form, I simply went to "Prepare Form" and would "Import Data" from a csv or tab-delimited file, super simple.  With the new form, when I go to Prepare Form, I get this message: "You cannot edit this file as a form due to its security settings."  When I look at the security settings for the file, it has password security and filling of form fields is allowed.  Any ideas on this conundrum?  Is there something in the security setting that would allow manual form field entry but disallow data import?  Thanks in advance!

Using Acrobat Pro DC

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 03, 2019 May 03, 2019

Under Tools search for "Import Data" and click on "Import Data...".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeremiah,

We are sorry for not being able to reply to your query on time.

The error message shared above "You cannot edit this file as a form due to its security settings." generally appears when you try to edit a restricted form. Adding an external excel file to the form is making change to the actual document. If "changing the document" is restricted in "Document Properties" then it might not let you to import any file.

Document's security settings can only be changed by the owner. Also, for better understanding you may share the screenshot of the security settings of this particular form. We would like to have a look into it.

https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-7043#jive_content_id_How_do_I_attach_a_screenshot

Regards,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2019 May 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

apologies for the delayed response - a new version of the form was released by the state (due to more tax rate changes), and I still have the same problem.  "changing the document" is indeed restricted, see screenshot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under Tools search for "Import Data" and click on "Import Data...".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know how to import data...the issue appears to be with "changing the document: not allowed" - with that restriction, import data is not an available option even though manually filling of form fields is allowed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible to import data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can show me how I would be very grateful

I'm using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (Version 2019.010.20099)

With the file open, I go to "Prepare Form" (where I usually go to import, export, merge, etc) and I get this:

If I click "Start" I get this error message:

Is there a different method to use to do the import?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use Prepare Form. Read my first reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! It was the "search" step I was not completing.  I went to Tools initially but didn't see anything, but when I searched "import"...there it was.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello. I tried to follow your advice but when I search for import data my BOI form is not highlited as a choice. Could you add any other instructions for me - this is my first time trying to use Adobe so please be very specific. Thanks so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines