• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re: This Document could not be saved. A number is out of range.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2019 Mar 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be NICE if it said what field is wrong.

Also, if having to turn off optimization is a fix, it is really a KLUDGE!

The problem should not occur period, and if it is an issue that can't be fixed, it should automatically turn it off or provide the option to turn it off.   This "work around" is not a fix.   Adobe should be actually fixing it.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 28, 2019 Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Infrastrategy,

Sorry for the delay in response.

If you are still experiencing the issue, would you please refer to this help document Error: A number is out of range while viewing PDF or deleting pages from a PDF, Acrobat

Check if that helps.

If the issue still persists, please provide us more details about the issue.

Let us know if the issue occurs with a particular PDF or with all.

How the PDF was created and did you make any changes to PF that you are trying to save?

What is the application and OS version on the machine?

Let us know if you need any help.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2019 Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Meenakshi:

The problem still exists.  The problem does not happen when viewing a PDF or deleting pages.  It happens in PDF online forms like those from the IRS and state income tax forms (Minnesota).   I open the forms via a website such as Safari (on Mac) and it opens up in the browser.  Then I click on the option (at the very bottom that pops up when mouse rolls over it) to open the form in Acrobat DC.  I then may enter some information (not much) and then save it, or just save it without any data entry.  Usually saves OK.

Later, I open the document and enter more data (usually numbers in tax fields) and then when I go to save the update, I get the error message.   I do not believe I have seen this when opening the pdf in a web browser, migrate to Acrobat DC, then save it.  Only after I re-open it after saving and fill in more fields.

I have also tried to turn off the fast view optimization feature and and save the file and that did not work either.

2018 Tax Forms that have failed:

IRS:     1040, Schedule2

Minnesota:     M1, M1PR, M1M, M1NC

Please feel free to contact me if I can provide more information or try to help replicate the issue.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same issue this morning. Since someone suggested that the IRS document I downloaded might be corrupted, I used Firefox to download a new file and saved it to my desktop. Opening that file and re-saving seems to be working normally. I have edited, saved, closed several times with no issues so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues and am on a tight deadline. I need to get this fixed asap please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, MeenakshiNegi,

Having created and used PDFs for more than 20 years with no problems, it seems odd that there is this huge list of people with the same out of range problem. NONE of your solutions work. Here is my situation.

I created the PDF from a word doc. I added links. It won't save. I tried all of the save options, same answer. I have done the same steps with a similar document for years with no problems. OS 10.14.6

After several hours of trying, redoing the links several times and having repeated out of range warnings, I have to question why I would renew my license at the end of the month. Maybe I'll take the recommendation to use other PDF creaors.

Clearly a fix is needed.

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. Mine is a text scan I downloaded from the internet and after doung an OCR, I wanted to save it with all my highlighted parts and comments. Unfortunately, I lost everything I had done because of this  Acrobat error. This is infuriating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2019 Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here even when removing "save as optimises for fast web views". Trying to download the EU/ UK new withdrawal agreement and I have NEVER been unable to save and download pdfs until today

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2019 Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way although I cannot "save as" as I usually would do to save this particular item to my "Legislation" folder, I have now found it under "downloads" and can then move it to legislation and then open it so at least that seems to be a work around people might like to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that and I can open it but I cannot save it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having this problem.  My document consists of 183 pages and was saved in Dropbox.  I opened the document, made lots of changes (mostly highlighting sections and adding notes) and when I tried to save I received the same error message.  I have tried:

1) Saving document with a different name in a different location

2) Turning off "Save As optimizes for Fast Web Review"

3) Using the Postscript workaround 

None of the above worked.  In fact the third one (Postscript) made it much worse - I received error message 109 (Document could not be saved.  There was an error reading this document) and now ALL of my pages are BLANK.  The original, unedited document is still intact on Dropbox but what about all of my changes?!  AutoSave was turned on, should have been saving every 5 minutes.  I have looked in the Acrobe AutoSave and found a file called 1.tmp.

I need some help with this please, I am absolutely fuming and the only stopping me from being bloody furious is that on this occasion the work is not for a client.  If this were for a client I would be in an incredibly difficult position.  This problem appears to be fairly common judging by the number of search engine results on the same topic!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. I saved my document to Microsoft Word then saved it to PDF from Microsoft Word. 

It's a bit funky (not perfect) but it worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there 

We are glad to hear that the issue got fixed.

Feel free to contact us for any further assistance required in the future.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal,

This is NOT a fix just a work around 😞

PLEASE READ this MORE CAREFULLY as we are still having this issue with imprtant govenrment documents.

I currently cannot even sacea a simle US IRS W9 tax form, which I need to submit with my invoice in order to get paid durring these crazy times.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me! I never would have thought to do that. Everything looks exactly as it should. Even if it's not a permanent solution, I'm happy to have the workaround. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tl;dr:

My "This Document...out of range" issue was due to an incompatibility between Mac and Windows edits of the same PDF - could not save new edits while working from a Windows system after having worked on the same PDF from a Mac. If first edited with Mac, stick with Mac; Windows, stick with Windows, should be no issues. Not a fault of your PC.

--

I managed to resolve my issue with a hunch that perhaps the new changes I was making on a Windows PC weren't saving because the version of the PDF I was editing had some changes I'd saved via a Mac. I went back to the original download source and remade the same edits I'd previously made via Mac and added new changes I'd wanted and it saved fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, 

Thanks for sharing the observation. We are glad to hear that you were able to get it running with the workaround.

I hope it will help other users on this community with the similar issue.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again Amal, this issue is not solved, the users just found another rediculous work around. Do you know that pdf stands for portable document file? What is that supposed to mean? Yes, any platform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not filling out a form, I am editing  by comments on a pdf sent to me by a client.  I need to save the document!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a rather ridiculous recommendation!

If the original is created on a Mac and I use a PC,  what am I supposed to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that you can fill out the form then Print it to a pdf when you are done. I was not able to export it like others were able to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@squido: thanks a bunch, I've almost been pulling my hair out, but moving from my Mac to my Windows PC (which, by the way, is running on Apple hardware 😉 I was actually able to save and print the document I was having this exact problem with. Kudos!

p.s.: yeah, rather ridiculous to call this a workaround, which it isn't for the average user (using either a Mac or a PC, not both)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2023 Jan 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workaround that WORKS for this 'number out of range' problem, which I have encountered several times, working on a MAC, is to QUIT Acrobat and open the doc in Mac Preview, and proceed from there. Preview is a more limited PDF reader/editor than Acrobat, but it doesn't have these issues— and doesn't generate these endless threads of complaints, non-solutions and goofy workarounds to problems like this one, which Adobe has been getting complaints about for several years. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem in Janary of 2021.

I suspect it may be related to the issue Squido mentions in their response. My teammate and I authored our document in MS-Word and then when completed, saved/exported as a PDF. I then completed some minor changes using Acrobat DC 2020 with no issues until today. My teammate uses a Mac and I am using Windows. He does not have Acrobat DC, where I have a full CC license.

As stated, I have been able to make changes in the past without issue but today I am getting the "A number is out of range" error message - about as cryptic and useless as they come. The only changes I made to the document today before attempting a "Save As" were to the metadata so that we can go to publishing with the document - NO changes were made anywhere in the content/body of the document.

I have attempted to save the document with Optimization (only checking the options for flattening the document and discarding external application data. That resulted in the file giving a progress dialogue but ended with a different error message of "An error was encountered while saving the document" - just as ambiguous/cryptic and useless.

I first attempted the listed workaround from another thread on this same subject of unchecking the "Save As optimizes for Fast Web View" which had no effect on the problem. Sounds like that's shooting the wrong bug.

We are on a very tight deadline with this document, so of all times for this issue to show up... And I agree with the other person who mentions such cross-platform compatibility issues (if that is indeed the case) shouldn't exist (i.e. should be tested prior to going GA with releases) in PDF, whose purpose it is to be 'portable.' That said, having been a software developer, I understand things happen. But this issue has been showing up for at least a year or more now... PLEASE pay it some attention. If this is a catch-all error routine, at least say that and that the cause is unknown in the error message. As it is now, this is VERY frustrating. Somebody do a trace on this and find out what error is actually being missed and code for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me add that these errors (esp. the "Number" error) occurs during ANY type of Save  - Save As, Save Optimized, just Save; any/all forms of "Save" making it impossible to update the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines