• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reduce file size Acrobat X

Enthusiast ,
Dec 04, 2010 Dec 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happened to the Document > Reduce File Size command that used to be in Acrobat 9?

For that matter, I don't see the PDF Optimizer command either.

What are the methods used in Acrobat X to reduce file size?

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 04, 2010 Dec 04, 2010

Yes, choose "File > Save As > Optimized PDF...", as opposed to "File > Save As > Reduced Size PDF...".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found that the Reduce File Size command has been moved and hidden under the File > Save As menu. Still haven't figured out where the PDF Optimizer command went or even if it is still available in Acrobat X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File > Save As > Optimized PDF...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

George,

Thanks for your reply. Our posts must have crossed each other about the command being moved to the file menu. Do you know if PDF Optimizer is still available for Acrobat X?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, choose "File > Save As > Optimized PDF...", as opposed to "File > Save As > Reduced Size PDF...".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2010 Dec 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Amazing where "old" commands get moved in new versions.  BTW, I could not find this answer in the Adobe X Help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2010 Dec 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At Acrobat X on line help -

The topic path is Home / Using Acrobat Pro / Editing PDFs / Optimizing.

In the sub topic "Save using PDF Optimizer" the "Open the PDF Optimizer" provides the discussion.

At the LiveDocs on line Help a PDF is available (link in upper right of web page).

While the PDF is not updated with the frequency of the LiveDoc Help content it can be useful to have.

Once downloaded, embed an index to facilitate search. This provides a handy "quick look up reference" file that is immediately available.

Be well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2012 Nov 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I just tried this and it doesn't help. I have the same problem, a big pdf file (39 pages) that I need to send by email. I also remember Acrobat 9 had a function "Reduce File Size" where it actually reduced the size of the file, I used it hundres of times and from 5 or 20 MB files, it gave me 200Kb files, or so, that were perfect to attach to an email. But now there is no such function and saving it as an optimized pdf doesn't help at all. I have a 120 MB file and the "optimized pdf" weights exactly the same. There is one "Reduce File Size" option burried in the tools, where the action wizard is. You actually have to create a new action, selecting the function but I waited for quite a bit and the process bar didn't moved at all. Acrobat just shut down and restarted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2012 Dec 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have been having this same problem trying to reduce file size . . . and with a little help from a colleague, have now realized what I was doing un-right.

In order to access the FILE / SAVE AS / REDUCED FILE SIZE command string, you must enter the document through the front door, i.e., by using the ADOBE icon on your desktop and actually entering Adobe Pro X (10) rather than entering via your drive mapped entrance to the document - which may well show you the document via the Adobe viewer.  Hence, reduced functionality. 

See if that works for you.

AM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 23, 2012 Dec 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved my problem and may help you...

on Mac with Adobe 9 Pro I create lots of documents with backgrounds and index.  Raw data file 2.5Mb Finished pdf 12 Mb.  On Win2008r2 Raw data 2.5Mb finished file 116Mb  !! WHAT !

After investigation on Win2008r2 follow exactly same proceedure of adding background and index and Save PDF file at 116Mb (a 4000 page invoice file).  Next do Save As - Reduce File Size  and from dropdown box select Adobe 9 and later compatibility.  The Win2008R2 server with 32Gb mem then grinds away for about 10 minutes and saves a new PDF of 5Mb, even less than the Mac although I never reduced the size on a Mac. The new PDF is then auto burst and e-mailed out as previously done on Mac.  The extra time involved is a pain for me but I cannot find a way around the above process.  Does not matter how I open document to process in Adobe X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no "optimized" option. ONly takes you to file> save as> folder options

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Reader X and there's not an option to save as an "optimized pdf" so I still do not know how to downsize a pdf file... am I just out of luck?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reader can not do any changes to the PDF as you are asking for. So yes, you are out of luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2011 Jun 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!! I have been looking for the reduce size option for a

ges.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2014 Oct 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest version and there is nothing under 'Save As'. I have looked at several different tutorials and am finding NO way to reduce the size of my document. I have scanned it in at 75dpi and it's still over 9mb. The largest file the program that I'm sending it to will accept is 5mg. SO very frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you have Acrobat and not the free Reader?

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Tiredofhassles <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is under Save As Other. If you have Std, you may not have the option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2011 May 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Sir,

I am working on online graphics and acrobat is really a great tool to minimize my tasks.. but I am having a problem with reducing the file size of a pdf. I want to reduce the file but not affecting its quality... I am actually using Adobe Acrobat X Pro and I cannot find the solution on this problem? can you please advice? Ive

used Acrobat 9 before and it seemed to be better than this version - I was able to reduce the size of a pdf without affecting the quality of an artwork/image etc.

Thanks a lot and hoping to hear from you so soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 22, 2011 May 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the File > Save As command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 09, 2011 Jun 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must be doing something wrong.  When I follow the instructions for reducing a pdf file, it actually comes out bigger that when I started.  Are there additional settings I need to adjust to reduce the file?  My goal is to prepare files so that I can e-mail them and post to Internet databases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2011 Jun 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read thru all the posts on how to reduce the size of a PDF file, yet when I follow the suggested steps I do not see the options indicated in some of the posts. For example (using Adobe Reader- X, version 10.0.1) when I open a 15.4 mb pdf file  and select the Save As option, the two choices are Save as a pdf file or save as a text file. I need to reduce this file size in order to upload to a family ancestry application

Help, please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2011 Jun 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to have Acrobat, and some of the options even require Acrobat Pro. The type of thing you have requested is not available in the free Reader, a different product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 18, 2011 Aug 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have acrobat X pro. I created an editable form for in house use... like an invoice or estimate. After hours of searching I finally figured out how to flatten the document into a file that can be emailed as NON EDITABLE.(of course this plugin was not included with the original download) but nonetheless, I was happy.

Well today I tried emailing one of these files and noticed the file size was HUGE.24 Mb!!!

I've tried saving as reduced file size. I does not change. I've tried optimizing. Notta. PLEASE HELP!

don't get me wrong... I love adobe products... but this software seems very cumbersome in performing simple tasks. I've spent hours hunting for answers.

Saving as a low res, email friendly file should be almost automatic.......PDF 101. Is there something I'm missing? If so, why the HUNT?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you create the form in Acrobat or LiveCycle Designer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat X Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines