Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save printed pdf default in same location as source document Acrobat 2017

Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2018 May 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have the following question for a client where i have Windows 10 64 bit - Office 2016 Pro and Acrobat 2017.

When there is for example a Word  document that is located in  c:\users\user1\documents\folder1  the document name is example1 now when printing to the adobe acrobat printer it is always printing to the last location of the folder used the last time.

Is there a option so it prints to the same folder where the Word document is located ? So the the path is transferred to the acrobat printer ?

My client is using Onedrive where all the files are located so when a Word document is in a folder on onedrive it would be handy when Creating a PDF document the pdf document should also go in the same folder.

Thanks

Best regards

Didier

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

The Adobe PDF PostScript printer driver instance has no way of knowing the source directory of the Word document. It is effectively a print operation, the target location for the PDF file being two hops away from the application that is invoking print.

That having been said, if you are creating PDF from Microsoft Office documents via Acrobat, you should not be printing to the Adobe PDF PostScript printer driver instance. Rather, you should be using the Save as Adobe PDF (PDFMaker) feature prov

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone, this is rather annoying or I'm missing a simple setting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe PDF PostScript printer driver instance has no way of knowing the source directory of the Word document. It is effectively a print operation, the target location for the PDF file being two hops away from the application that is invoking print.

That having been said, if you are creating PDF from Microsoft Office documents via Acrobat, you should not be printing to the Adobe PDF PostScript printer driver instance. Rather, you should be using the Save as Adobe PDF (PDFMaker) feature provided by Acrobat as a plug-in to Word (as well as Excel and PowerPoint). That feature indeed defaults to the same directory as the source document you are editing. Furthermore, the PDF files generated by Acrobat's PDFMaker feature are of much higher quality and reliability than those produced by “printing” to Adobe PDF.  

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the "Save as Adobe PDF" option, but I have the same problem. The default "Save as" location is now the last place I saved a pdf and not the location of the MS Word document which I am saving.  This used to work fine for me until some recent Office365 upgrades, security changes, or pdf upgrade that broke it. How do I change the default "Save as Adobe PDF" location to the current folder rather than a past folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem, and while I don't see any way to fix this on here, at least I know I am not alone, which is some comfort.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any luck in finding a solution? It seems between 2021 and 2023 the functionality of the Save as Adobe PDF button changed slightly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the save as PDF for multiple years and it has been saving at the source file location for all this time. When I migrated from dropbox to sharepoint (OneDrive) the feature stopped working. It now saves as PDF at the latest saved location which is really annoying. Why would it save at the previous save location with OneDrive but at the source file location when using dropbox (both files are in the windows explorer btw)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov,

I recently upgraded to Windows 11 and use Microwoft 365. I have been using 365 for many years and the office application always defaulted to the same folder to "save as Adobe file." Now, after going to W11, when I save as an Adobe file, it goes to the last folder I saved that way. I cannot see a setting in Word to get the save location to default to the same directory as the Word file. Am I missing something in either office or Acrobat? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. For years, when using MS word, I was able to use the "save as PDF" and it would save a PDF to the same folder location as my word document. We have just migrated to Microsoft 360, and now all my folders are part of my one drive. Now when I use my favorit "save as PDF" is will save to the last location I saved a PDF to, not the file with the word document I am working in. 
I have been saving PFD files on all the wrong locations and have to go searching for them after I save. It is driving me nuts this not longer works. I have been through my preferances and can not find a setting that will control this. What can I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2023 Aug 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. Using "save as Adobe" out of Word and it defaults to the last place I saved a pdf. This is frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2024 Mar 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe, it's been years and this issue is still not resolved. We recently had a client convert from using Google Drive to OneDrive for Business, and now the default save location for "save as PDF" is the last saved location, not the location of the open Excel file the client is working on (and just opened).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines