• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to Convert a PDF to a PDF/A due to a few errors

Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am trying to save this PDF below as a PDF/A format. I am getting errors below that I am unsure of how to resolve. I appreciate any guidance.

47.0-2-60.3 Final Plat-Report_Page_2.jpg47.0-2-60.3 Final Plat-Report_Page_1.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

PDF A is PDF Archive. It requires your document to include searchable text and that all fonts are unicode. This is part of why you are getting the error. This happens when you export from ARC GIS or other mapping software. They do not use unicode fonts regularly. 

So now you know why. What to do about it? That answer is a little harder.

1. What useful information do you want them to be able to access? The sheet title? Legend? Notes? Markers?

-- Any of these would require you to use accessibilit

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Must it be PDF/A-1a rather than -1b? If so, you're going to need to add accessibility/tagging manually for all text and illustrations, such work cannot be automated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post if it helps you get responses.

<moved from using the community>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF A is PDF Archive. It requires your document to include searchable text and that all fonts are unicode. This is part of why you are getting the error. This happens when you export from ARC GIS or other mapping software. They do not use unicode fonts regularly. 

So now you know why. What to do about it? That answer is a little harder.

1. What useful information do you want them to be able to access? The sheet title? Legend? Notes? Markers?

-- Any of these would require you to use accessibility tags to tag the document text. However since your fonts are not unicode this process would be tricky. I have circled the info on the map that would most likely be useful and could be tagged. 

2. Your map needs to be converted to an image and an image description consisting of 2-3 sentences that describe the overall purpose of the map. 

3. In the end, if you wanted to just get the errors to go away, you would want to export the map as a PNG or image and then add a text-based title and then an image description. I would however offer that this method really is circumventing the idea behind PDF/A.

I would be happy to help further if you want to reach out offline but I hope this gives you some guidance. 

maxwithdax_0-1684202038520.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the insight. I had no idea. I'll have to look into how to implement your recommendation further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Happy to show ya how. It is a bit of a thing but as an accessibility trainer it is what I do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines