Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to install Acrobat Patch 9.2 on Mac

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2009 Oct 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Case ID: 181226045

Customer is unable to install the Patch 9.2 for Acrobat 9.

Following are notes from customer:

Downloaded 9.2 patch. When attempting to install, message box said original software had been altered in some way and that patch cou
ldn't be installed. I have no idea how software was altered.  Works fine right now. Would prefer not to have to reinstall.

OS is Snow Leopard
Operating System: Macintosh
Has it ever worked? If so, what's changed? (provide comments in description field): Not Applicable
Same results with different file?: Not Applicable
Same results with different computer?: No
Recent System Hardware or Software change?: Yes

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 170 Replies 170
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just spend a couple of hours boxing against the error message: "Update failed. The patch has failed because the application has been modified ...".

The continued message promises: "... Please go to the Adobe support website for more information regarding how to re-enable disabled components prior to installing the patch."

Honestly: Adobe.com provides no help

Google shows a lot of people getting the error - and no solution. Suggestions - at no use - are:

• Acrobat top menu -> Help -> Repair Acrobat Installation
  • Because of wrong file system on the Mac
  • /Applications/Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro/Contents/Resources/AMT/AUMProduct.aup has to be trashed.
  • Uninstall and then reinstall Acrobat Pro and then re-update all the updates
  • Use English interface

THE SOLUTION - in my case - MacOS X 10.5.8 - Adobe CS 4 design standard:

• Acrobat top menu -> Help -> Repair Acrobat Installation  (just to be sure)
  • Quit Acrobat
  • In Finder select: /Applications/Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro/Adobe Acrobat Pro.app
  • Get Info
  • Open arrow Languages (below Preview)
  • Select all possible languages
  • Open arrow Plug-ins
  • Select all possible Plug-ins
  • Run the Acrobat update

Ta-dah ! that was it - - - - off to do garden work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vofl wrote:

THE SOLUTION - in my case - MacOS X 10.5.8 - Adobe CS 4 design standard:

• Acrobat top menu -> Help -> Repair Acrobat Installation  (just to be sure)
  • Quit Acrobat
  • In Finder select: /Applications/Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro/Adobe Acrobat Pro.app
  • Get Info
  • Open arrow Languages (below Preview)
  • Select all possible languages
  • Open arrow Plug-ins
  • Select all possible Plug-ins
  • Run the Acrobat update

Ta-dah ! that was it - - - - off to do garden work

1. In case you Solution to doesn't work. This Should work.
  2. go to Adobe's website and under support choose updates.
  3. Next choose Acrobat Pro Mac or acrobat Mac.
  4. when you get to opdates page click on Acrobat 9.2.
  5. Download.
  6. when finished downloading. Double Click on .dmg file to open.
  7. Double click on contents of the disk image (.dmg) to start install.

This will fix the problem for sure. Also make sure that your up to date with your updates. (Adobe is the only software company on the Planet that doesn't roll previous updates in to subsequent updates. (If designed right an updater would only use the components needed, for the update.) ). You have to run them in turn and in some cases its better to update incremetally of a period o days rather than in one Session.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2009 Oct 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still am unable to install the update...I went so far as having Adobe send me a new copy of Adobe Acrobat Professional 9 and re-installing from the new DVD.  I had the same exact problem with the same error message saying that some components had been removed and to reinstall them.  I see someone here in the posts did get the update to work with their own installation of CS4 Creative suite.  However, I checked the provided screenshot and noticed in the languages tab of the app his version was not an english product but for Norway.

So far, what I can tell is that Adobe is ignoring this problem because they have no clue how to fix the Adobe Acrobat Professional 9 update process which is already fantastically clumsy.  What is really crazy is that according to security sources Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Reader are not secure and even though Adobe republished their security bulletin (see below), apparently, even with the patches the security appears not to be 100% secure.

Regardless, if many many people can't update their software to 9.2 any security enhancements will fall on uninstallable versions.

I honestly can't understand why Adobe can't take a few dollars out of their massive profits and address this software update issue for their loyal customers.

You'll notice Adobe hasn't posted an official response yet to this massive problem...I guess they'll simply take the money and run...It's shameful!!

Adobe Releases Security Bulletin for Adobe Reader and Acrobat

added October 13, 2009 at 03:41 pm

Adobe has republished security bulletin APSB09-015 to address multiple vulnerabilities in Adobe Reader and Acrobat. These vulnerabilities may allow an attacker to execute arbitrary code, escalate local privileges, or cause a denial-of-service condition.

US-CERT encourages users and administrators to review Adobe security bulletin APSB09-015 and apply any necessary updates. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2009 Oct 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please note that Adobe is aware of these reports.  There are engineers actively investigating the details but we've been unable to reproduce this issue internally.  Thank you to Stuart@DM for posting the log as requested.  Hopefully this will help us understand the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Umm - it wasn't me who posted the log. It was Matt Barker.

pawibbel maybe the cause of the patch problem was a typo in the base code?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay..

I finally have a few minutes to add some further information to this incredibly time consuming a frustrating chapter in the life of updating AdobeAcrobatPro9.0 to 9.2.

Short Re-cap:

What originally started this whole process was trying to update my very stable version of AdobeAcrobatPro9.1.3 to 9.2.  After hours and hours of trying to make this update including re-installing the application several times from the original DVD, calling in to Adobe Tech Support multiple times and getting on with Apple support, I finally requested a new DVD from Adobe which I got.

Using that original DVD I reinstalled the application from scratch which put AdobeAcrobatPro 9.0 on my hard drive in the applications folder.  I made sure to fix the permissions on my system first (I'm running OSX 10.5.8).  I also followed virtually every suggestion from every source both on the Internet, Adobe Tech Support, Adobe Forums, as well as suggestions from some other of my engineers who work for me since I own my own software company.

Where I am at now is that while I have AdobeAcrobatPro 9.0 installed, I cannot even update to 9.1.  I am now stuck with the original version.

I am thinking that this may have to do with the languages implementation.  The new install that I received from Adobe is ENGLISH ONLY.  I am attaching a screenshot.  All of the plugins are installed and active.

I am surmising that there is some offensive code in the updater that doesn't like single language versions of AdobeAcrobatPro 9.0.  In one of the posts a Norweigan gentleman said he got his version to finally update but he had 3 language versions in Norweigan....

If I was Adobe I would investigate the possibility that there are language dependencies that are causing this very troublesome and persistent problems for many many users.  This is a very known issue now and due to the serious nature of the security deficiencies in the Adobe Acrobat Pro product versions previous to 9.2, I would think Adobe would want to address this quickly to avoid any class action litigation for negligence in keeping their software properly patched and patchable.

Since it's apparent that the normal tiers of support at Adobe aren't able to assist the multitude of angry and frustrated users of this product that someone in a higher position at Adobe gets involved to actually try and find a real solution and not hide behind the excuse of not being able to duplicate it.

This is a cop out and pretty lame excuse for a company as big as Adobe.

I'd really like to hear from someone at Adobe who not only has a sense of pride and responsiblity about Adobe products there but who also has the technical expertise and willingness to launch a serious effort to fix this preposterous situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 27, 2009 Oct 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've heard that if you have an External Drive with  10.5.8 that the 9.2 update will take. I know that it will take on X.4.11. But I know That I had to run Disks Permission afterward to get 9.2 to Print. And ift fixed a Boat load of Premissions. So many, I was surprised my computer was even working.  I had three screens full permission defects.They were all fixed.

I downloaded the Multi-language version.

One thing you might do is install Rosetta. Its possible that the installer is written PPC code instead of Intel Code.

(Please note information is given by an Experienced User of Acrobat. I am not an employee of Adobe.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too dealt with Adobe's tech support robots for a few days - meaningless rote responses and referrals to canned adobe fix-it pages. There was an underlying denial of responsibility and a hint of having to deal with another idiot end-user. BUT, my fix . . . first, this is on a nehalem MacPro running 10.6.1. I got a hint for the fix from another user on this forum, who said he was running 10.5.8. It took some time, but I built an alternate boot volume on an external drive using the MacPro's system CD, which is 10.5.6. I booted the MacPro from the newly created 10.5.6 volume. The 10.6.1 internal drive / volume mounted on the desktop OK, making Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.1.3 accessible within its applications folder. I launched it and picked 'check for updates' from 'help' menu and this time it ran OK, updating the app within the 10.5.6 environment. After re-starting from the working 10.6.1 volume, it remained at the 9.2 build level and seems to be working OK. So far.

It'd be nice with if these large companies quit discounting legitimate gripes from the real world and pay a bit more attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish the above two solutions had worked. I tried both to no avail. Is this really an essential update?

I did the get info on my Acrobat Pro 9.1.3, but there was no 'languages' option visible. Did I perhaps not install something?

Downloading the patch, and running it after 'repairing the installation' gave me the same result: "update failed, install has been altered or switched off", but I can't find what I may have 'turned off'.

Thanks for any suggestions.

John

Mac Pro, OS10.6.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a MacPro running 10.6.1 too - had to figure out a way to boot

from an external drive running 10.5.6. Then the update worked. An

essential update - who knows?

Adobe was no help at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2009 Oct 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to run the downloaded updates after creating a startup disk with OS10.5.8.  I had to have the actual patches downloaded and run from the .dmg, not via the adobe updater. Anyway, time will tell if it was worth the effort. It really shouldn't have to be this problematic.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 17, 2009 Oct 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know but I have a feeling no one has installed Rosetta on Snow Leopard (X.6). My Guess the installer has been written in PPC Code instead of universal Binary. X.5.8 is Universal Binary.

My advice to anyone installing X.6 for the first Time. Do a customized install, and install everything, every font, Language and items such as Rosetta. If you don't you''l end up regretting you didn't do so. And Adobe has a little blame as well. Snow Leopard has been no secret. It been know about for ever a year and most likely availble for manufacturers to text with in the last 6-8 months. And they are shooting themselves in the foot by not accepting universal binary it will be a while before everyone gets on board with INtel Machines. And Adobe doesn't accept universal binaries for such things as Scanners.

(Please note information/opinion is given by an Experienced User of Acrobat. I am not an employee of Adobe.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip you make some interesting observations but really Adobe still not supporting Intel Macs "it will be a while before everyone gets on board with Intel Machines" Its been nearly, if not already 4 years since Intel Macs became a reality.... even a behemoth like Adobe should be able to be up with it by now...

The other thing is that Rosetta is that its available as a download from Apples' Servers on an ad hoc basis - this Adobe 9.2.0 installer doesn't make the call for Rosetta, reason being that its a Universal Binary (see attached)

so again I say COME ON ADOBE you used to be good at this!

Bruce

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like the installer application broke with the switch to Snow Leopard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its been fine updating 9.0.0 -> 9.1.3....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try going to Acrobat.com then go to support/updates choose acrobat Mac down load the update. Close Acrobat and try update that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This yields exactly the same result as before, an Error, I had already done this when I captured the update patch for 9.2.0 from ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Updater6 and copied the update so that it won't get deleted by the installer, which even if we go and re-intall from ether the original media or a backup yields the exact same error...

I perhaps should say that I've been using Macs for 20+ years and these are exactly what the initial post in this thread is referred to - where all users are treated like novices... if things worked correctly we wouldn't need to provide feedback - when we provide feedback we're treated like novices, vicious circle or what.

We shouldn't have to do this jumping through hoops to get the security fixes applied - where the update is of no help to us, it refers us to Adobe.com, for advice on repairing a 'faulty' or incomplete installation, when we get there, most importantly, the actual info is either impossible to find, out of date or more often than not better info is actually held within a forum such as this.

This is one for Adobe to sort out me thinks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before you go crazy ond give up:

Run Utility Console. Study Console Messages to see if there is a message from the Adobe-update at the time you get the error-message. This may give you - not an aswer, but a hint of what is missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

volf thanks

I'm too long in the tooth to get crazy - did that years ago, haha.... I'm not too worried - its part of Adobe's on going issues with SLeopard I think - at least it is as far as I'm concerned...

It is a good suggestion - what you see when view the console messages is that it fails with a checksum error lol

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you (all of you having this Problem ned to:

1. post to Product Feedback Form on this Forum.
  2. Go to Apple.com >Support > Forums > System 10.6 and report this. Maybe it has to do with the new security system SLeopard uses.
  3. Click on the link:https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform and post all the steps.
  4. also post this on Max-Fix-it and see if any other have run into this.
  5. there supposed to be a Facebook area on Adobe support issues when you run into a Brick wall.
  6. and Try mailto:adbecare@adobe.com

(Please note information is given by an Experienced User of Acrobat. I am not an employee of Adobe.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2009 Oct 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Phillip

All good suggestions - however I think the topic is now well covered for Adobe here with our posts - especially as you say in point 5 we'll run into a brick wall with Adobe anyway.

Secondly its not Apple's issue - the updater worked fine to get from 9.0 > 9.1.3

I have myself bitten the bullet - I restored the 9.0 to my Mac and then laboriously downloaded all the patches manually, why oh why does the download page ask you if you want to 'go to the download' when clearly your already there, and updated to 9.2 that way.

One suggestion I would make is that Adobe adopt Apple's OS Update model and release Combo updates as well as the Delta's that way when such issues arrise when don't have to fiddle around with all the point updates and can just use the Combo.

All of which saved me banging my head against the proverbial Adobe wall... It will be interesting, to me anyway, how this process will be when 9.2.1 is released. Given I'm not in a mission critical environment I think I may pass...lol

best

Bruce

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope none of these helpful hints works for me either!

I have 9.1.3 currently which I've been able to update thus far running 10.6 & 10.6.1 without issue, I've repaired the installation, I've even gone back to the original 9.0.0 install with TimeMachine - still no luck - the Uninstaller won't even uninstall - similar spurious error (see attached).

I have tried to reinstall from my original Adobe installer disks, which, when the installer app finally crawls into life does nothing, it appears to begin the install but does nothing, even if I leave it for 5 mins or so nothing even begins....

COME ON ADOBE whats going on? you used to be good at this stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2009 Oct 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a real simple and working solution which works under Leopard and  tested with Word and Photoshop:

1.  Install Adobe 9.2 Reader

2. Then Install Adobe Acrobat 9.0

I just surmise that Adobe 9.2 Reader has dominant properties that do not get overridden when installing Adobe Acrobat 9.0 thereby avoiding the need for a patch - I admit this may just be a lucky guess.

If anyone give it a try, please make sure to report your results so everyone can benefit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2009 Oct 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem has not been with Reader, but upgrading/patching Acrobat

9.1.3 to 9.2.

Bill Beard

[signature deleted by host]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines