• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to locate the Paper Capture recognition service

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2008 Jan 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When attempting to use OCR, error message "Unable to locate the Paper Capture recognition service. Your installation may be corrupt."

I've found at least 4 instances of this problem on different parts of the internet but not one of them have a solution.

I posted this on Experts Exchange and so far nothing...
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Office_Productivity/OCR/Q_23103149.html

Adobe published this KB, but it doesn't fix the problem either...

http://www.adobe.com/go/kb402063

Can anyone *please* offer some help with this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2008 Jan 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Acrobat? Are you using an old version that is using the web service and the link has changed? I suspect that is the issue. If you are using AA5, there is an update that included paper capture. If you are using newer versions, many only allowed paper capture in the PRO version and the Std version was online. However, it is hard to say without knowing your version. If you are talking about Reader, then OCR is not available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2008 Jan 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

Am using Acrobat Professional 8.1.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2008 Jan 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should have been there. However when you mention web service, it sounds like you are trying to use the online service and not the one within Acrobat. I don't have any recommendations, but just to suggest the possibilities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2008 Mar 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drew - I too am running Acrobat 8.1.2 and the About/Plugins menu reports that the PaperCapture.api is loaded and certified.

I found a copy of DRS832.DLL in the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder - undoubtedly deposited by a copy of Nueratron Photoscore v 4.10 that I installed with Sibelius. I renamed it and copied the newer Acrobat version to the system32 directory and the OCR features in Acrobat work fine now. Not sure yet of the impact on Photoscore but I'll sort that out later.

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2008 Mar 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Googull - thanks for your response....

I have a program installed called Canon ScanSnap which does OCR and this could be the cause of this problem....I did check c:\windows\system32 and found the file DRS832.DLL...so I renamed it and then searched the Adobe folder for copies of the file....

I found a copies under the following directories:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\plug_ins\PaperCapture
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\plug_ins3d

I then tried copying each version of DRS832.DLL into the c:\windows\system32 location before trying to OCR a documemnt aagin....same message.

Also tried doing a regsvr32 on the dll but that failed.

The paper capture plug in in Adobe says it's working just fine...but it says under Adobe Help > Plug Ins that the filename is PaperCapture.api

I'm going to rebuild my system or try installing Acrobat 8.1 into a VM to see if this problem is replicatable since it's driving me crazy...in mean time if ANYONE has any ideas, please let me know....I will automatically get an email if you post to this list

Thx

Drew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found this solution here

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showthread.php?t=149977

And tried turning off Kaspersky. Worked. Not sure why yet.

Marc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, in my case it was some Adobe Internet access I had blocked. Just the typical excess pinging Adobe like to do.

Enjoy,
Marc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2008 Apr 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with Acrobat 8 but I also installed Sibelius, Neuratron, Smartscore and Pdftomusic pro recently. I then uninstalled Nuratron but the drs832.dll was still under system32 folder. Then I deleted that and replacing with the drs832.dll from the Acrobat\plug_ins\papercapture folder. It works! It may be due to there were two versions of the drs832 which was not competible the size of the dll under system32 was smaller. I am not sure which one is older. I think Adobe should address this. Also the recommendation by Adobe was wrong there is no such file as drs32.dll.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2008 Jun 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alex is correct. I had the same issue. Went to System32 and renamed drs832.dll to drs832.dll.old, pasted drs832.dll from Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\plug_ins\PaperCapture and all is well. I also posted a comment and solution to feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2010 Feb 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth...Drewberry's post, below, worked for me in v 9, but then again, I have LaserFiche, as addressed in that article.

Here's the url again:  http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/402/kb402063.html .  Thanks, Drewberry!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2010 Jun 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was able to solve the issue in Acrobat 9 under Windows 7 by simply removing (renaming the offending drs832.bak just in case I needed to recover it) from the SysWOW64 directory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines