• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where has the check box gone?!

Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just updated to Acrobat Pro CC 2009.008.20071 and now when I bring up a list of comments on a PDF design file there is no longer a check box to tick off changes as I go. I used to filter by unchecked comments to keep track of what fixes had been actioned. The check box is no longer there.

There are more approval options (completed/apprvoed/add check box etc) in the hamburger dropdown but that is surely not the process for checking off each edit?!

I have identified a temporary (but less good) workaround - (shift + k) which ticks the corner of the box but it doesn't then take you to the next comment as occurred previously, meaning that you need to click on the next one. This actually slows down workflow significantly in a graphic design setting where changes are actioned at speed and timed/. I have read in other forums that some designers used to press the space bar to tick and move to the next change to be even faster. @

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 198 Replies 198
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2018 Oct 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This appears to be an intentional change:

What's new in Adobe Acrobat DC

However, I'm not a fan and would like the checkboxes back

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How stupid is this? I used those constantly when posting documents for edits. Was so easy to check off each edit when completed. There is an option to "show checkboxes" in commenting preferences, which I have checked, but it does nothing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2018 Oct 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you go: Document Geek: An Easier Way to Mark Comments as Checked in Acrobat DC

It requires a third party tool, but it will add a button to your toolbar to mark something as checked so that you don't even have to have the comments pane open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 03, 2018 Oct 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In the latest update of Acrobat DC, we have modernize the commenting experience and at the same time, made it very clean and intuitive to use. As part of that, the checkbox is moved to the right click menu of the comment. Please also note that both the sort and filter options are available for the check mark

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused and will consider adding the check mark by default for future updates of Acrobat DC

Thanks & Regards

Sachin Soni

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2018 Oct 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand how hiding a feature - given that existing users were used to seeing checkboxes - makes it intuitive to use. By transferring the checkbox to the right click menu of the comment, this has effectively doubled the workload considering that a checkbox was one click, but with this new procedure, it is right click, small scroll, left click... this takes more time.

Personally, I don't like this "modernized" experience and would like the check boxes back. If readers of this post feel the same way, please be sure to let the Acrobat team know by voting here: PLEASE Don't make the user go through a menu to check off a comment! You DOUBLE the time it takes to...

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I heartily agree. Doubling the number of clicks required is a burden. I make changes based on client comments all day and this is a big setback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - PLEASE bring it back! As you can see from the other comments, this is an issue for many users. When is the next update?! I'm ready!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2018 Oct 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please bring back the checkbox or create a way to toggle it on if needed. Like others have mentioned, it's extremely important to be able to quickly check the box without having to right click for the menu every time when making hundreds of edits. We use checkboxes every day, and the lack of them is doubling our work time. It's awful, please fix ASAP!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2018 Oct 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another +1 for the checkbox. I don't see how taking something that was once a single-click process and hiding it in a right click context menu (so now it's a two-click process) is easier or intuitive. If you want to clean up the UI, why not have the checkbox behave like the "Add a reply..." box does? That doesn't show when you're viewing the entire list of comments, but when you left-click on a comment, it shows up. You could easily shorten that box enough to add a check mark box next to it.

I don't mean to rag on the new UI, I actually like most of it (and love that we're getting away from the 2000-era "sticky note yellow" for comments), but UX and UI need to work together and hiding what I presume is a widely used feature doesn't make sense. And even if it's not widely used, it's a check box. It's tiny. It's less than 50x50 pixels. It can't clutter the UI that much. Frankly, the little comment bubble icon could act as a checkbox for that matter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So instead of adding an option in the Preferences to show or not to show the checkmark, you guys just decided it should be removed, how in the hell is this a "modernized commenting experience" when it doubles the work? It was that expensive for some extra lines of code to give users the option to choose if they want a checkmark showed in the comment window or not? If you work a lot with documents that need to be amended, the checkmark to be visible in the comment window is vital. Please add it back in a future update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"very clean and intuitive to use" HA!

this is not efficient... that's what should be most important. I'm going crazy!! Please bring it back!!!!! I need to see what I've completed and have not.

- Very Upset Designer!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This definitely needs to be restored ASAP - it's one of the features I use most and it's causing a serious dent in my productivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but this is not 'clean and intuitive to use'. Please add the check box back in, or at least make it an option in preferences. My whole team uses this function on a daily basis and it's driving us all mad!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we have modernize the commenting experience and at the same time, made it very clean and intuitive to use

ARE YOU KIDDING? Try testing your software with people who actually use it everyday. This is so annoying. And add this to the buggy, crash every other PDF I try to open, laggy app since the last update, and I'm now looking for yet another Adobe Alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ridiculous that it was removed! BRING IT BACK. Making edits form editors is a PIA without that check mark. Right clicking is  PIA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, this is super unhelpful!

Please bring back our quick 1-click boxes!

And update the "filter by unchecked" view as we check off the boxes. This is crazy making.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Impossible to understand this decision/change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The worst update of already unintuitive program. As I´m working in publishing, one book takes somewhere around 2000 entries (in the first round only). Now one has to click 3x to achieve the same I could do by one click. Math: it takes 3x longer, and my arm 3x more beating.

This is my first EVER on line software comment, but it needs to be adressed because of its stupidity. Is this what you call "user experience"?

J.Novak /Stockholm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Sachi,

Yes, you can sort now, but it's actually unhandier than before. Before I received corrections which I marked one by one. In the sort options I marked 'show marked remarks'. As I progressed, and I ticked the corrections, it got taken out of the list, only the non corrected ones were visible.

The new version has a sort button and a button 'apply'. So if you want to see which corrections you did you have to pus 'apply' every time you want to do a sort.

As I stated elsewhere these are poor UX decisions, and this is from a company that sells UX programmes… I haven't looked at the 'import remarks from pdf in indesign' yet. I hope that's better conceived.

Stefaan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All you did is complicate things and make it very difficult for marking off completed items. The checkbox needs to go back to its previous placement. I will have a difficult time billing my time for the additional minutes it is taking to make simple edits because of this useless upgrade. Extremely unhelpful and serves no purpose whatsoever for the user. We need the checkbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I HAVE to comment again. I am having a terrible time. This is unacceptable. I need to go back to the previous version ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arw you on Mac or windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THE MOST TERRIBLE update ever. Please restore the checkbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Modernised" - I'm going through a long PDF with 940 comments which I need to address in the corresponding InDesign document. Now I have 1,880 clicks instead of 940 - plus the small delay while the options loads, and I move my mouse to the correct position, which I promise you adds up over 1,000 comments. Modernising would suggest a smoother process, not a lengthier one. I don't know what user testing you guys did for this but it was a bad call.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines