• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where has the check box gone?!

Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just updated to Acrobat Pro CC 2009.008.20071 and now when I bring up a list of comments on a PDF design file there is no longer a check box to tick off changes as I go. I used to filter by unchecked comments to keep track of what fixes had been actioned. The check box is no longer there.

There are more approval options (completed/apprvoed/add check box etc) in the hamburger dropdown but that is surely not the process for checking off each edit?!

I have identified a temporary (but less good) workaround - (shift + k) which ticks the corner of the box but it doesn't then take you to the next comment as occurred previously, meaning that you need to click on the next one. This actually slows down workflow significantly in a graphic design setting where changes are actioned at speed and timed/. I have read in other forums that some designers used to press the space bar to tick and move to the next change to be even faster. @

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 198 Replies 198
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked my Acrobat and I don't have that preference. I am up to date. Do any users have that option, or is it only displayed in the "What's New" article?

Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 1.54.12 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-12-11 at 1.54.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 1.55.10 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. Looks like they updated help. Before they updated Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I guess they haven't pushed it out yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to update today. Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 3.02.39 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Creative Cloud seems not to push the update automatically, when checking for updates from within Acrobat DC the update is recognised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK nice update but you still have to click twice to check the box, wich is not shown until you click on the comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still not calling this as fixed.

• The preferences option for the checkbox is the wrong way around. Users should have to opt OUT of seeing checkboxes, not opt IN to see checkboxes.
  • As Info1OOG points out, you still have to select a comment to get to its checkbox. This wasn't always the case, as Kelly Vaughn's video shows: PDF Commenting: Part 3: Working with Comments - YouTube
  • As of writing this forum post, an original request at the Acrobat.Uservoice site had 216 requests to bring the checkboxes back, and is the third most requested feature request (even above "remove the big blue share button"). That said, the way to implement the change puts the onus on the user to change the UI behaviour through the preferences, rather than the software being restored to its previous behaviour.

Thoughts?

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL. I made that video in 2013! Agreed, the "fix" released yesterday is still not what I would consider fixed.

And my Acrobat still doesn't have the update. I've tried three times over the last days, and it says my program is up today, but I still don't have the checkbox preference. What's the trick to get Acrobat to update? I did Help > Check for updates. No luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download the update installer manually from here:

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/win/AcrobatDC/1901020064/

Edit: This is the Windows installer. The Mac installer is available here:

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/mac/AcrobatDC/1901020064/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that have mac and windows? The file path has "win" in it.

And I went here: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/continuous/dccontinuousdecember201... and the mac dmg link also takes me to a windows file path. And after download, I get this message:

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 9.50.17 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible to navigate those folders by clicking the "up to higher level directory" until you get to the mac folder and then work your way back through the folders until you get to the correct version and patch no.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For reference, this is how one of Adobe competitor's handles checkboxes. First off, the panes are totally customizable; the location of each pane, as well as what options are display in each pane. And secondly, the checkboxes are visible all the time. It only take one click to check something off. EASY!

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 9.49.50 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the best alternative to Acrobat Pro right now. Adobe has had a month to fix their mistake and that "fix" hasn't been done right. The fix isn't intuitive or functional. Two clicks to mark something as checked is not productive. It is a time suck.

For example, I'm importing changes into InDesign. I copy the text I need to change. And the box I already clicked on has already collapsed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bluebeam Revu only requires one click to mark something as checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, my check box comes back,

Creative colud currently won't show us the update. It keep telling me I had the latest version which was not. I had to uninstall Acrobat pro then reinstall it. and now I have the latest version. the setting is under Edit > Preference > Commenting > "Show check box".

then restart acrobat and you should see the check box show up top right of comment box,

I prefer it to be on space at bottom left as it used to be but this is good for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

With the latest release of Acrobat on 11th December, 2018, this issue has been addressed.

If your product is not already updated, you can manually do so from within the product. Click on the menu Help-> Check for updates.

We have provided a preference “Show checkbox” under commenting preference to show the checkbox.

Feel free to connect in case of any query.

Regards,
Ammar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've installed the update and turned on the "Show checkbox" preference.

• We need to be able to quickly glance at a list of comments and see what is checked/unchecked. The checkbox (whether checked or unchecked) needs to be visible at all times. An empty checkbox is easy to see, an invisible checkbox is easy to overlook. Currently it is impossible to scan the list and quickly see which boxes are checked vs. unchecked.
  • We also need to be able to quickly add checkmarks to completed items, with one click. Currently we have to first click the comment to reveal the invisible checkbox and then do a second click to check the box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally I'd say you can you can vote for this feature here: https://acrobat.uservoice.com/forums/590923-acrobat-for-windows-and-mac/suggestions/35609902-please-..., but Adobe has recently marked this feature request as Resolved, and thus closed the voting.

You can still make comments, though, as well as start a new feature request. Here is another one that addresses this issue: Why did you hide the checkmark? – Share your feedback on Acrobat DC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

A new preference has been added to display checkboxes for comments. By default, the checkbox is hidden. If you use checkboxes on multiple documents, Acrobat DC prompts you to enable the checkboxes for all documents.

Please navigate to Edit > Preferences (Windows), or Acrobat > Preferences (macOS). The preferences dialog box is displayed.

In the Commenting category, select Show Checkbox under Making Comments.

Click OK.

Refer to the following help document for more info: What's new in Adobe Acrobat DC

Thanks,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2019 Jan 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So now we have multiple different check marks. A green "completed by" (or other colored status icons) and a "checkmark" that has no designated meaning at all. What a solution is that? Why not just add the greyed out status icons beneath every comment (marked as yellow in the image below), letting us click them? This new checkbox is a workaround, not an intelligent UI solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now what!

I tried to used the checkbox and it comes up with Marked set by XXXX, but it doesn't check the check box!

Is this the result of another 'upgrade' – cant you just leave the thing alone? I like to filter the comments by checked / unchecked so I can see what I have left to do, now I can't and I have a huge comments list. Any other nice surprises from Adobe's department of pointless fiddling while charging us the earth for products?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My bad – just relaunched Acrobat and appears to be business as usual. Thank goodness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines