• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does the DC installer remove Acrobat Pro XI, and all of its plugins, without warning?

Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2015 Apr 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you run the "Update" to Acrobat DC, Acrobat XI, and any plugins you are using, disappear. There is no warning. Pro XI is just simply gone.

It is not possible to install Pro XI along side of DC. If you try, the install seems to work, but the Applications folder only contains DC.

Also: Acrobat Pro XI does not appear in the Previous Versions list in the Creative Cloud app.

The only way I have found to get Pro XI back is to uninstall DC, then go to the Pro XI Download page: https://creative.adobe.com/products/acrobat

Click Download, and the CC applet will download and re-install Acrobat Pro XI. You will then need to re-install all your plugins.

Adobe: Thank you so much for creating a massive support headache for your customers! Your ability to screw us over knows no bounds.
TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 07, 2015 Apr 07, 2015

Let me start by saying that we are sorry that you are experiencing the problem that you are.  However, you should understand why you have these pains and hopefully prevent them from happening in the future.

Adobe has NEVER supported the installation of multiple versions of Acrobat on the same machine.  Not on Windows and not on Mac.

We are aware that some of our customers choose to use this UNSUPPORTED configuration AGAINST OUR RECOMMENDATIONS, however, it is NOT supported.  As such, the act of up

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 270 Replies 270
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here and I'm mad as hell! My Acrobat Pro had Enfocus plug-ins I still need to use!

This is a MAJOR f*** up Adobe! Have you gone crazy here!? This is plain stupid behaviour!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, so we have 130 seats of CC here, and of them 30 or so have Enfocus Pitstop Pro.

Imagine how many times my guys are going to have to perform this workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has not gone crazy. Their have been very public about their new way of doing business: Using CC subscriptions to force the customer to do things against their will. Their CEO is using words like "force" and "make them" in the international press.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2015 Nov 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only that, the problems some users seem to be experiencing were self-inflicted. Don't install/upgrade/update software until you know what exactly you're getting. Seems like these issues could have been easily avoided with a short visit to Adobe's website or glancing at install instructions

Adobe does enough legitimate things that frustrate us, no need to put 'em on blast for things they're innocent of lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 07, 2015 Apr 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please check that your Enfocus (PitStop) plugins will work with Acrobat DC.

If you are on Macintosh and running anything lower than PitStop 12 update 3 you will run into issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here with PDF Toolbox...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are talking about third party plugins. You should check if they are compatible with the new Acrobat DC. This is the same behavior as with previous versions of Acrobat. You install a plugin with Acrobat X and when you'll install Acrobat XI over it (which uninstalls Acrobat X) then you'll have to install the new Acrobat XI compatible version of plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem itself is it installs the plugin but doesnt show up. And what you are saying is false. when you went over and installed Acrobat XI, Acrobat X would stay on your PC. This however is a complete different story... DC is installed over XI... This cost me a whole morning of trying to reinstall XI for Prinect PDF Toolbox...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Macintosh Acrobat DC is now 64-bit. PitStop Pro was a 32-bit application up until version 12 update 2.  PitStop 12 update 3 is 32/64-bit compatible.

If you try to install a version prior to PitStop 12 update 3 in Acrobat DC it will install but it will not load, you will not see anything in Acrobat.

You would need to upgrade to version 12 update 3. If you do that quickly you will also then get a free upgrade to PitStop 13 when it releases later in April.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My collegues have pitstop but I have the problem with Prinect PDF Toolbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess it's the same story.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2015 Nov 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so the Acrobat DC installed and has completely pirated my computer with it's intrusive popus to export, save, ect to the cloud.

1. I WILL NOT use ANY cloud service.

2. I did not want Adobe to take over my PC.

3. In Windows 7, there is no gear (Settings icon) available and no way to uninstall.

4. after a couple hours of digging, I found what was supposed to be the Adobe Acrobat DC uninstaller (found on the Adobe website). IT DID AND DOES NOT UNINSTALL Acrobat DC like it is supposed to.

So... How am I supposed to uninstall this software?

To be clear:

I do NOT want any Adobe cloud service software installed on my computer. Work restrictions and policies do not allow use of cloud services.

I was happy with Adobe until this experience and I completely wish there was another option besides Adobe if this sort of nonsense is what we are to expect from you guys and new software rollouts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I now have the eternal beach ball when I try to open Tools in DC. What is going on Adobe???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link! I was so lost trying to reinstall XI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. Adobe you truly have f**ked up today with this STUPIDITY !!!

I too have PitStop, Quite Imposing etc. in my Acrobat Pro install, and your just BLEW IT ALL AWAY !!!

The link in the first post only gets you back to the "DC" version download page.

I don't see a way to get the previous version...

Then I'll need to call Enfocus, and Quite and on and on... for serial number resets etc.

What the HELL were you thinking?

You have just screwed up thousands and thousands of computers !!!

On top of all this, I just spent an hour on HOLD waiting for tech support, and they just HUNG UP on me (without even saying Hello?)

-W

PS:  Just found this link to the old version:

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-downloads.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, yesterday the download link was pointing at Acrobat Pro XI, and that allowed me to get back to Acrobat XI.

Now Adobe updated the link, and it only points at Acrobat DC. I have found no way to coax the CC downloader into re-installing XI.

I am on the phone with Adobe now, attempting to find a way to resolve this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I´m running OSX 10.10.2 and Pitstop 12 update 3.

My problem is with the icons. Only "lego pieces" Skärmavbild 2015-04-07 kl. 11.12.43.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You shouldn't see those lego blocks there. I have the same configuration and I see the correct icons in the tool bar as below.

The other icons on the right we don't know how to generate yet as Adobe didn't tell us, but the top ones should be ok.

the only difference is I did a clean install not an upgrade. Can you maybe try adding them again or if you have no luck contact Enfocus support and tell them I asked you to contact them.

UI.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see another user found the installer: Download Acrobat products | Standard, Pro | DC, XI, Xhttps://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-downloads.html

On the phone, Adobe stated that if you uninstall DC, that XI would become available again in the CC applet. That, of course, is not the case. However, the link above resolves the issue, but the install is now manual, and cannot be done using the CC app.

I'm going to guess that Pitstop Pro 13 will work fine. That still leaves Quite Imposing, which is at present still 32-bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Teilo

PitStop 12 update 3 will also work correctly, that is 64-bit already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

abailescollins‌

The red brick icon problem goes away after a couple of Acrobat restarts. However, without Quite Imposing, I have a broken workflow.

The plugins are not the real issue. I fully expect that a new version of Acrobat will not be compatible with existing plugins. The real issue is that Adobe decided, for no reason, to uninstall XI, and thus break critical production workflow tools at my company. For the record: I have 130 seats of CC. And for those who DID install DC, it's buggy as hell and crashing constantly.

Now for an update:

If you use the web installer linked above, you can install Acrobat Pro XI without first uninstalling Acrobat DC and they both work.

In other words, There was no reason for Adobe to uninstall XI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few people seem to have managed to install XI and DC.

http://www.b4print.com/index.php?topic=8532.msg267761;topicseen#new

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have REinstalled everything as well. REinstalled. That should NOT have been!

And for some reason, XI and DC share a preference file on the Mac which messes things up even more.

This is Acrobat Vista.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines