• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will Adobe software work with the Windows 10 free upgrade being promoted?

Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2015 Jun 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have posted this question on the Windows community forums but no answer yet...

I currently operate a PC with Windows 7 and have the option to upgrade to the new Windows 10 operating system, however, I am worried that my Adobe software will be negatively affected. The Get Windows 10 app let's one check to see if there will be any conflicts with already installed software, and the only conflict I am seeing thus far for my PC is with Norton Internet Security. Nevertheless, I'd really like some assurance that my investment in my Adobe software will remain intact.

Does anyone know if Adobe software will, or will not, be okay post Windows 10 upgrade?

Thanks,

Kristine

P.S. I'd prefer it if this question could be posted to a general Adobe forum, but I seem unable to do that.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Jun 02, 2015 Jun 02, 2015

Certainly you cannot assume ANYTHING from Adobe will work on an unreleased system. Once it is released, you should carefully check for compatibility for each product. Fixes may be needed, and will only apply to the very latest Adobe product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

On behalf of Adobe ...

You can reasonably assume that all current shipping versions of Adobe software will either directly work with Windows 10 (not necessarily any beta test versions of Windows 10) or will receive an update if any glitches are found. Adobe is currently testing its current version applications with developer builds of Windows 10. Interestingly enough, most of the issues we have tended to find with new OS versions have had to do with installers, file paths, and esoteric system ser

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certainly you cannot assume ANYTHING from Adobe will work on an unreleased system. Once it is released, you should carefully check for compatibility for each product. Fixes may be needed, and will only apply to the very latest Adobe product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm... not very reassuring then I guess, hey I have a feeling I won't be upgrading to Windows 10... I have other software, Sage 50 Canadian Edition, that I am also trying to find out if it's going to be compatible or not with Windows 10, as well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect it will work with Windows 10, but I'd also wait a while before updating to see what others are experiencing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

George_Johnson: I think your advice is probably right... I won't update too soon and instead wait to see what others report... I've never been an early adopter anyways thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On behalf of Adobe ...

You can reasonably assume that all current shipping versions of Adobe software will either directly work with Windows 10 (not necessarily any beta test versions of Windows 10) or will receive an update if any glitches are found. Adobe is currently testing its current version applications with developer builds of Windows 10. Interestingly enough, most of the issues we have tended to find with new OS versions have had to do with installers, file paths, and esoteric system services as opposed to the application software itself post-installation. Also, in the case of Acrobat, there have been issues with browser plug-ins and the AdobePDF PostScript printer driver plug-in DLL. Generally speaking, Microsoft maintains application compatibility from one Windows version to the next compared to Apple which purposely breaks such compatibility.

On the other hand, if you have any version of Acrobat earlier than Acrobat DC or InDesign / Illustrator / Photoshop version earlier than the “Creative Cloud” subscription versions, if there are any compatibility issues, you should assume that there will be no OS-compatibility updates for said older versions.

All that having been said, a prudent application software user, especially one relying on software to get one's work done, would wait a little before upgrading the OS to Windows 10, monitor the experiences of other users, and possibly wait for any application updates if there are problems, even if all your Adobe applications are at the latest version!!!

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really appreciate your reply, Dov! Kinda what I was looking for... more and more I'm thinking I will sit tight on Windows 10 and your reply definitely cinches it for me. All the best, Kristine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 03, 2015 Jun 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for asking, it's prudent to be careful and to wait. Every time there is a new system, the forums are full of people who installed it on the first day, find something doesn't work, and now have an urgent job to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2015 Jul 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have bought the Master Collection CS5.5 and Lightroom 5.7. I do not use the software as a professional but for private and educational use.

So, in clear words, Adobe says that these versions of Adobe software will need an update to the Creative Cloud versions. Adobe does not perform at least basic tests with older versions on Windows 10 to give a reliable answer on the original question? I would expect Adobe to do the tests and give same more reliable hints to the question. e.g. "We have installed Lightroom 5.7 on Windows 10 on a standard PC and it has worked." Or: "Due to architectural changes in Windows 10, Lightroom 5.7 cannot run on Windows 10."

Thanks in advance for some more meaningful statements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 25, 2015 Jul 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be that you don't realise that CS5.5 is past end of life, and when Adobe say that, they really mean it.

If you are thinking of upgrading Windows and running an ancient CS, my advice would be (1) don't (2) if you must, wait 6 months then see what public opinion and the forum has to say.

Sorry, if you don't consider this meaningful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2015 Aug 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CS5.5 and just upgraded to Windows 10. CS5.5 will not load! All I get is the first splash screen and then it hangs up. I could use advice on the roll back if anyone could guide me as to HOW to do it.

Thank you, Ted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on the Windows logo in the lower left of the taskbar. Toward the bottom of the Start menu, clck Settings. Click Update & security. Click Recovery from list on left. You should have the ability to revert to your previous Windows version for 30 days after upgrading to 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks mrnewsmedia, I did a rollback and so far it appears to be successful. That was a scary ordeal! My wife tried to warn me not to do the upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it worked. I was terrified when I got a new Windows machine 2 years ago & installed CS4 from discs. But it actually worked, though most of my Photoshop plugins would not install in the 64-bit version. And except for a resolved glitch with Acrobat Pro validation, the suite seems to have survived WIN10 so far. Lotta luck, and prayer, involved...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2016 Feb 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news on whether it's "safe" yet to upgrade to windows 10? I keep getting an upgrade notice on my PC and it is getting annoying. I have a computer tech friend who says if what I'm using now (windows 8) works for me than stick with it for now. Of course out of natural curiosity I would still like to know if it has been confirmed to be safe to use with all the Adobe CC programs. If it's the same answer as before than I'm not upgrading until I have to get a new PC.

I'd appreciate an answer from people who have since upgraded also

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2016 Feb 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All current CC applications are compatible with Windows 10, as far as I know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2016 Apr 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It probably depends on what software you are using. For example I still used CS 5.5 It does not work with windows 10. As far I understood from this site, the only way is to try to get back to windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2016 May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has taken me to the hilt, my adobe acrobat standard 9.5.5 was working well with windows 7, then I upgraded to windows 10. Since then all I have gotten from my program is that it has stopped working. Tried reinstalling to no avail still the same problem. When will Adobe have a fix to this problem, soon I do hope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2016 May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There will be NO updates to your Acrobat version

You may buy the latest Acrobat version, or go back to Windows 7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i upgrade to windows 10 and my adobe is NOT working.

I even try to delete and reinstall, still not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 23, 2015 Jul 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing that no one has mentioned is that MS is allowing rollbacks. In other words, if you don't like Windows 10, you can roll back to your previous version (7 or 8). So, if CC apps don't work or are buggy in W10, you can go back to W7 or 8 until the bugs are worked out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2015 Jul 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have brought the master collection CS6,  will this software work on Window 10 ???  I am excited about getting new OS 10 from MS but I need my Adobe software for work..  I really hope it work ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2015 Jul 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to Windows-10 48 hours ago and so far my CS4 Web Premium Suite all seems to work (it was already installed and working fine on Win 8.1). However, just now Acrobat Pro 9.5.5 has failed, saying it needs activation via one of the othe suite programs. Tried that, and repair, and re-install, but Acrobat Pro seems dead in the water. It's an activation issue, and I did buy the suite in 2009, but I would not be surprised to be left in the lurch by Adobe. I can only hope that Photoshop does not also fail...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only Acrobat XI and DC are compatible with Windows 10.

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 11:04 PM, mrnewsmedia <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The program was fully compatible for 48 hours, but now has developed a registration issue. I'm sure soneone will come up with a fix or workaround. I have already had another, older, (Microsoft) program that failed in Win-10. A replacement .dll file and a tiny Registry edit solved that one....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines