• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

11.0.07 crashes acropdf.dll activex control in 3rd party application

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2014 May 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, we use a piece of software that makes use of the acropdf.dll library - when updating Adobe Reader (on any version of Windows) to 11.0.07, the software that uses acropdf.dll crashes as soon as it tries to display a PDF (citing acropdf.dll as the module that failed) - rolling back to any previous version of Adobe Reader cures the problem.  (Even 11.0.06 works fine) - this has been repeated several times on different machines and different versions of Windows, all with the same result.

Is this a known problem with the latest 11.0.07 release?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 28, 2014 May 28, 2014

For those that can still access their VB6 source code - replace the PDF control with a web browser control, and in turn replace any pdf.load events with the web.navigate event - this effectively sidesteps the problem by forcing the PDF to appear on your form inside the browser control.  I've now removed all references to the PDF control in the project and solely use the web control - overall it feels much the same in operation.

(Started the re-writes in VB.net now though...)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem with an application developed in Delphi 2007. I get an AV on version 11.0.7.79 of the AcroPDF.DLL.  In answer to the question "Is this a known problem?" - I can't say - but you are not alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2014 May 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but AcroRd32 in command line always leaves an instance of the Reader and the batch or shellex doesn´t end until you close that instance. If you execute the line command without waiting the Reader to end, you don´t know when it is finish to continue with the process, maybe to send this pdfs by mail or something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same thing here too. Had 7 calls from customers yesterday alone. Moving from 11.0.06 to 07 immediately confirmed the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mesmo problema em minha aplicação VB6

Tudo funcionava corretamente. Quando executei a atualização do Adobe Reader XI para 11.0.07 apareceu o erro na aplicação.

------------------------------------------------------

"O Visual Basic Parou de Funcionar"

Um problema fez com que o programa parasse de funcionar corretamente. O windows fechará o programa e o notificará caso uma solução esteja disponível.

------------------------------------------------------

O erro ocorre quando a aplicação esta rodando e ao abrir o formulário onde contém o componente baseado na dll AcroPDF.dll

O erro também ocorre ao abrir o formulário que contém o componente dentro do VB6 em modo de desenvolvimento..

Não é possivel nem retirar o componente do formulário pois não exibe o formulário e fecha o VB6.

Acredito q o problema esteja na DLL AcroPDF.dll e sua atualização

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2014 May 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem with some apps in VB6 and acropdf.dll, how can i install a previous version of adobe reader, 11.0.06, to make them work in the time this problem is solved ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

luisfco wrote:

how can i install a previous version of adobe reader, 11.0.06

Uninstall the current version, then download the installer from ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/11.x/11.0.06/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone know of any potential fixes/updates in the pipeline?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF applications built with VB6 fail to work with 11.0.07

I never waited a position with this company Adobe.

Imagine if Microsoft company inform that all 32-bit computers stopped working after the last update performed because the windows no longer work on 32bit hardware.

That would be ridiculous.

But Adobe has done just that.

Unfortunately, 70% of Brazil's computers are generations old.

Systems in VB6 run on large companies.

So it is decreed. All Adobe Reader stopped their updates in version 11.0.06

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those that can still access their VB6 source code - replace the PDF control with a web browser control, and in turn replace any pdf.load events with the web.navigate event - this effectively sidesteps the problem by forcing the PDF to appear on your form inside the browser control.  I've now removed all references to the PDF control in the project and solely use the web control - overall it feels much the same in operation.

(Started the re-writes in VB.net now though...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

And how did yor replace the printing of the document ??

AcroPDF1.SilentPrint or equivalent methods

cannot see them in the web control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using ShellExecute (effectively a command line print) - it's not pretty but it works whilst I re-write in .NET - it's apparent that Adobe won't be resolving the issue itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2014 Jun 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with an application developed in Delphi 2010.

The problem is that the Adobe PDF reader updates automatically and applications crash.

Big software companies, like Adobe, ignore users and do not respect their software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2014 Jun 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have source to your Delphi application the fix is fairly simple and can be found here:

Re: update 11.0.07 causes ActiveX crash on Delphi applications

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 16, 2015 Feb 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My problem got solved after setting the acrobat reader settings to unprotected mode. please Explore the web for more information.

My acropdf32 is working without crashing in vb6.

Protected Mode troubleshooting | Adobe Reader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines