Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader DC Temporary File Location

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

We're using Protected View for untrusted locations and we have an issue with Adobe Reader opening files from one of our other systems. it seems the file is placed by Reader in %temp% and opened from there, this causes the PDF to open in Protected View as %temp% is not considered a trusted location.

Is there a way for me to change this location and make Reader place the temp file in a different folder? This needs to be something I can set for my entire network and not just a specific computer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ItzikT,

Please help me understanding the exact workflow of opening file within Reader.

we have an issue with Adobe Reader opening files from one of our other systems.

Are you operating Reader on a shared network or working remotely?

It seems the file is placed by Reader in %temp% and opened from there, this causes the PDF to open in Protected View as %temp% is not considered a trusted location.

Adobe Reader doesn't put the actual files to the temp location automatically. Wherever you choose to save it, it saves there. Under %temp% it created only temp file of the original one.

Is there a way for me to change this location and make Reader place the temp file in a different folder

There's no such settings that allows you to change the location and place temp files in a different folder manually. temp folder is meant to save temp files automatically.

There's something wrong with the way you open files in Reader. Are you backing up your data on shared one-drive, cloud storage or something? Simply open Reader>go to File>Open>navigate to system file folder>select and Open File

Thanks,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Akanchha and thanks for the response

Adobe reader is being operated by file SAPLogon.exe whenever the end user asks to preview a PDF file from within an SAP system (it's the system's code that manipulates the reader).

To be clear, the reader is installed and operated on the user's workstation, no remote access is involved.

When the user opens a PDF file for preview in the SAP system, a temporary file is created under the Temp folder, then removed immediately as the user closes the preview.

If I'm correct, you mean that by default the reader writes this temporary file to the location pointed at by %temp% and we cannot change it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't sound right. Surely the file is already in %TEMP% before Reader is given the file. If not, where exactly is the file until it is put there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2019 Jul 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The contents of the file are sent as a parameter to a SAP standard function for PDF preview.

I can't tell exactly how the file is handled behind the scenes, but we did contact SAP regarding the issue.

They responded that the SAP server does not write any files in this process to the file system level, hence it must be the acrobat reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question is not what happens in SAP but what happens between SAP and Reader. SAP presumably won't tell you, but our ability to guess is limited.

Two questions may help narrow this down a little (though this is definitely something for SAP to solve).

1. The PDF which opens. Does it open in

* The Acrobat Reader window

* A browser window

* An SAP application window

* Something else?

2. Does SAP install any plug-in to Acrobat Reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PDF opens in a SAP application window.

No plug-in to acrobat reader is installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, my computer crashed and I didn't get to save my pdf I was working on.  It seems so ridiculous its not easier to find the temp file I have to as how to do so online? anyone know? Adobe Acrobat Reader on Windows 10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines