Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader X (10.1.1) Visual C++ Runtime error

Oct 04, 2011 Oct 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recently installed Adobe Reader X (10.1.1) on a machine running Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition Service Pack 2.  When any user tries to open a .pdf file on this machine, Adobe Reader produces the following error:

"There was an error opening this document. Access denied."

Additionally, when I go to Edit - Preferences, the following error is produced:

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: C😕Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the application support team for more information."

I have already uninstalled and re-installed all Adobe products on this machine.  The last time I did a re-install, I completely removed any files or folders on the machine related to Adobe and I also cleaned the registry manually.  I'm still getting the same errors after re-installing the software.  I've checked for updates, I've done a repair install of Adobe Reader, and so far nothing has fixed this problem.  Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 05, 2011 Oct 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Could you please let me know the following details:

1. Is the issue reproducible with a specific PDF or with every PDF that you are trying to open in Adobe Reader 10.1.1?

2. Does the issue occur when you simply launch Adobe Reader as well (i.e. without opening any PDF and just double clicking on the shortcut)

3. Would it be possible for you to provide me with the crash log for exception that you are receiving. You can do the same by following the below steps:

1. Install WinDbg from http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx

2. Launch WinDbg via the shortcut

3. Click File->Open Executable

4. Select AcroRd32.exe from "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" and hit "OK"

5. Remember to press "g" and hit enter when you encounter the first breakpoint and then you will see a text "Debuggeee is running" and Reader will be launched

6. Open whatever file is it that produces the crash in Reader.

7. When you have successfully reproduced the sceanrio causing the crash/freezing of Adobe Reader X, enter the below command in the WinDbg terminal

.dump /ma c:\temp.dmp (Hit enter)

8. This will produce the crash dump at C:\ by the name of temp.dmp

Could you please upload the dump (compress the dump using WinZip or likewise) at some site and provide the link for the same. I will have a look at the same.

Thanks

Ankit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.  The problem occurrs with any PDF file.  I've tested the same file(s) on other systems and they open fine.

2.  Adobe Reader launches fine.  The first error I mentioned only happens when I try to open a document with Adobe Reader.  The second error I listed happens when I go to Edit -> Preferences.  Only the second error terminates the program.

3.  I've followed your directions for producing the dump file, and I've uploaded that file here: http://www.speedyshare.com/files/30611038/adobedump.zip

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Adobe Reader X 10.1.1 a short time ago.  It came to me as an email message, it looked real, so I let it install.  I read somewhere on this website that they do not send out email noticces for updates.  My problem is that I can no longer print any pdf files from an email or website.  is it possible to uninstall the version I have now and reinstall if directly from the Adobe site?

In my limited skills/effort to find the problem in my laptop, i found that this version was tied in some way from Big Fish Games.  Is this possible?  I'm running windows 7 home pre. edition 64bit on a Toshiba Satellite A660 Series laptop.  I did not have printing issues before I downloaded 10.1.1?

Also before I print the document, it sends me to a save arrea, & won't let me save as a pdf only and xps, I don't know what that is and then it doesn't save or print.

Any advice would be greatly appredicated.

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 09, 2011 Oct 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please uninstall the current installation of Adobe Reader from your system as Adobe doesnt send any mails as a notification to update or install Adobe Reader.

Please have a look at: http://blogs.adobe.com/psirt/2010/09/alert-adobe-reader-upgrade-email-spamphishing-scam.html

Try and get a fresh copy of Adobe Reader from http://get.adobe.com/reader

Thanks

Ankit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 17, 2011 Oct 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still monitoring this topic in hopes someone will help me solve this problem.

Ankit, were you able to determine anything from the dump file that I uploaded for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 20, 2011 Oct 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @beau_goldkey,

Do you have AVAST 4 AntiVirus installed on your WinServer2003 R3 machine?

If so, could you temporarily disable or uninstall that antivirus and check to see if the problem goes away? If so, and it is possible for you to upgrate to the latest version of AVAST AntiVirus (I think it is version 6), could you give that a try?

Regards,

- Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the assistance.  I ended up installing Reader 9.4 and calling it a day.  I've had no problems with this legacy version so far.

We do have Avast installed on the machine, so I'll look at that if I do encounter this problem again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work for a large government agency, and we are experiencing the same error as well, but we have the added complexity of Citrix. Most of our servers run Server 2003 SP2 Enterprise.

When you log into the server's console, a PDF from a network location launches fine, however a Softgrid package which contains a link the PDF produces the error (unless you have elevated domain privileges - and then it works fine).

Using Citrix to launch the PDF via the Softgrid package produces the error consistently; using Citrix to launch the PDF via a network drive sometimes works, but randomly produces the error as well.

Our security team will now allow us to disable Protected Mode (although I think on our last test, even that didn't resolve the error). Any help would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CRA_Support : your issue is very different from that reported in this thread. I'd suggest creating a new post that describes the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 16, 2012 Feb 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has a recent(2012-01-09)KB article http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/860/cpsid_86063.html entitled "Protected Mode troubleshooting". There is a similar article (2011-09-12) http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/901/cpsid_90161.html entitled Protected View troubleshooting. You could take a look at these articles.

This may not seem relevant but try this solution!

I have had issues with Adobe Reader X hanging (not responding) due to a conflict between an antivirus program and the Adobe Reader X Protected Mode/Protected Viewer sandbox features.

khwajakhurram replied to my query suggesting unchecking the default Adobe Reader X Preferences >3D & Multimedia> "Enable hardware rendering for legacy video cards" setting and this solves the issues!

What is surprising is that Adobe Reader X's 3D & Multimedia settings report that the alternative preferred renderer modes are either software or DirectX9 .....on a Vista machine with DirectX11.

The video card on this machine is definitely not legacy but a recent quality Nvidia produced card. That is also the case on the other machines with the issue I have reported.

I went a step further and I have found that performance is vastly improved by changing from the default preferred renderer mode of DirectX9 to the alternative Software setting. 

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/860/cpsid_86063.html mentions that "certain configurations of anti-virus software that have not yet white-listed AcroRd32.exe" are "Unsupported configurations for Reader running in Protected Mode". Therefore I have also excluded AcroRd32.exe from virus scanning.

I am now able to use both Adobe Reader X's Protected Mode and Advanced Security without issue and performance is vastly improved. I am certain that your issues will also be solved.

notafan777 suggested that the problems are due to a legacy of sloppy code and this certainly seems to be the case here with these very odd default settings influencing performance to such an extent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2023 Sep 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
  1. Check File Permissions: Ensure that the user attempting to open the PDF file has appropriate permissions to access the file. Right-click on the file, choose "Properties," and go to the "Security" tab to verify permissions.

2. Run Adobe Reader as Administrator: Try running Adobe Reader with elevated privileges. Right-click on the Adobe Reader shortcut and select "Run as administrator." This can help bypass any permission-related issues.

3. Disable Protected Mode (Windows only): Adobe Reader X introduced a "Protected Mode" to enhance security. However, this mode can sometimes cause issues. You can try disabling it to see if it resolves the problem:

• Open Adobe Reader.
    • Go to "Edit" > "Preferences."
    • In the Preferences window, select "Security (Enhanced)" from the left pane.
    • Uncheck the option that says "Enable Protected Mode at startup."
    • Click "OK" to save the changes and restart Adobe Reader.
  4. Update Adobe Reader: Ensure that you are using the latest version of Adobe Reader. Outdated software can sometimes lead to compatibility issues and errors. Download and install the latest version from the Adobe website.

5. Check for Conflicting Software: Other software running on the server, particularly security software or third-party PDF viewers, might interfere with Adobe Reader. Disable or uninstall any conflicting software and see if the issue persists.

6. Check Event Viewer: Check the Windows Event Viewer for more detailed error information. This can provide additional insights into the runtime error. Look for any related application or system errors and investigate further.

7. Repair or Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime: The runtime error you're encountering is related to Microsoft Visual C++. Try repairing or reinstalling the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library on your system. You can download the latest redistributable package from the official Microsoft website.

8. Check for Malware: Malware or viruses can sometimes cause unexpected errors. Run a thorough malware scan on the server using a reputable antivirus program.

9. User Profile Corruption: User profile corruption can also lead to unusual errors. You can try creating a new user profile on the server and see if the issue persists when logged in as the new user.

10. Contact Adobe Support: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it may be necessary to contact Adobe Support for further assistance. They can provide specific guidance and troubleshooting tailored to Adobe Reader.

Remember to back up any important files and data before making significant changes to your system. Additionally, always exercise caution when modifying system settings or dealing with registry entries.

Sourse: 1. allee.store

2. snaptik.mom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines