• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can not install Adobe Reader get message newer version is already installed

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2015 Apr 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unable to install Adobe Reader on a my computer .  Installation fails with the message a newer version already installed. I had Adobe Reader 11 but apparently auto update saw there was a new version and uninstalled Adobe reader 11 and tried to installed Adobe Reader DC.  Any ideas on how to get this installed

TOPICS
Download and install , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

I tried everything else I could find on the web, including changing root user, all to no avail.

Then it struck me - was the 'higher version' in the trash!

Of course, I had not emptied the trash after uninstalling the previous version, so it was still there. When I emptied the trash, the new version downloaded fine!!

Problem solved, after 2 hours of fiddling - and all because Adobe did not factor this into their programming!

Votes

Translate

Translate
May 01, 2015 May 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

It please run the cleaning tool Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs, restart your computer & then try to install Adobe Reader using this link Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Install for all versions.

Let me know if the issue persist.

Regards,

Aadesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2015 May 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi aadesh

I am still having the same problem installing the new Adobe reader DC it starts to install then come back with the message that a Newer Version is already Installed. I can install Adobe Reader 11 and it works, it is just the new one that has the problem.

John Biggs

Sent from Windows Mail

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2015 Nov 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem on my Win 8.1 /64 laptop.  Tried the cleaner programs...didn't work.  Why does the installer think there is a newer version installed when there is not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2015 May 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue.  I have uninstalled the older version of Adobe Reader, and tried to start from scratch to install the new DC version.  I keep getting the "newer version already installed " error.  I have run the "cleaners" from AdobeLabs.  Also have tried to install versions 10 & 11 - also get error 1923 message when trying to install the older versions (I am logged on as an Administrator).  I have also removed all cookies and temporary internet files and emptied the recycle bin.  I don't know what to try next!  I have also run "CC Cleaner" to remove bad registry entries.  Also tried different browsers (Chrome, IE, Firefox),  and tried the link suggested in the above staff reply to directly download.....nothing works....... I am running Windows 8.1 OS.. Please Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide a screenshot of the error message. Also please provide the MSI log. You can enable installation logging on the system as per this article How to enable Windows Installer logging . Once logging is enabled try to download and install Reader DC. If you encounter failure then send us the latest installation log from user temp directory (Start->Run-> type "%temp%") - logs would start with name - MSIxxxx.log.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the logs from the failed attempts this week. Can you see anything here that would indicate why the install failed?

Thanks,

Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2015 Nov 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try deleting the old Adobe setup folder as I suggested in this thread Every time I try to install Adobe Reader, dropped installation and my PC tells me I already have a n...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2018 Jul 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still having the same problem installing the new Adobe reader DC it starts to install then come back with the message that a Newer Version is already Installed. How to resolve this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried everything else I could find on the web, including changing root user, all to no avail.

Then it struck me - was the 'higher version' in the trash!

Of course, I had not emptied the trash after uninstalling the previous version, so it was still there. When I emptied the trash, the new version downloaded fine!!

Problem solved, after 2 hours of fiddling - and all because Adobe did not factor this into their programming!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is absolutely the correct solution, thank you so much! I had tried root user, downloading the adobe cleaner tool, deleting preference files in my library, and this is the thing that ended up working because they saw a version in the trash!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul you are a genius.   Wonderful to get a simple solution to an infuriating problem  Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are brilliant!! Thank you! My problem is solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2018 Aug 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul, thank you for the great solution to go to the trash/recycle bin.  I tried rebooting several times and going back onto the Adobe website to try the Download files three more times.   I didn't have the actual Adobe Reader DC file in there, but I deleted the Adobe Cleanup Tool that I removed after that didn't work and the actual download .exe files that I downloaded three times.   Whalah!   Immediately after I emptied the 'trash', the Adobe reader file actually installed and the extension on Chrome was enabled also.  Thank you for sharing your resolution.  It worked like a charm.  Mace

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same error, but did not have any Adobe products installed on my iMac. I had finished a clean install of MacOS 10.13.3. However, your findings came to mind when I saw that I had it installed on a thumb drive that had the MacOS installed (it was connected to my iMac when I tried to install reader). After unmounting it, reader installed perfectly. Thanks for your help.

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the "newer version already installed" problem. Can some one tell me where the "trash" is on my computer. I should know but I don't

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this three times and IT DOES NOT WORK.

Recycle emptied

Removal run.

Registry cleaned.

STILL INSISTS THAT NEWER VERSION EXISTS,

And it removes my older version!!!!!!

SHOCKINGLY POOR PERFORMANCE

It has removed my original Reader and now it will not allow me to install the older version.

NOW WHAT?????????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nevillem and Sudhakarm,

We're sorry for the trouble you had with the installation of Adobe Reader, please reboot the machine once, download the Acrobat cleaner tool to remove installed Adobe Reader Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs

reboot the machine again and try installing the latest version of Adobe Reader from Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution

If you still experience any issue, please share the following details so that we can assist you in a better manner:

• Is it a mac or windows machine and what is the version of OS installed?
  • Is it a personal or office computer?
  • Is any security software installed and what is the version of the security software?
  • Is any old version of Adobe Reader installed?

Let us know how it goes and share your observation.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does not work.

Win 10

Pc

Microsoft Windows defender

Completely uninstalled , trash cleaned, folder deleted.

Neville

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Neville,

We're sorry for the inconvenience caused, please disable the Windows defender once and try installing Adobe Reader after removing any previously installed Adobe Reader using Cleaner tool Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs

Reboot the machine and try installing Adobe Reader from Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution

If the issue persists, create a test user profile with full admin rights and check.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No good

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rickb,

We're sorry for the trouble, if you have tried all the suggestions shared above, then please share the following details so that we can assist you in a better manner:

1. Dot version of Adobe Reader installed? To identify refer to Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC
  2. Is it a Mac or Windows machine and what is the version of the operating system installed?
  3. Is it a personal computer or an office computer?
  4. What is the version of security software installed?

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too.   This problem has been in the forums for at least 3 years!   How is it that the installer hasn't been fixed?   I have tried all the above suggestions, still insists there is a newer version installed.   The only adobe product installed is flash.

This is exceptionally annoying.   My people cannot work because this stupid program will not install!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the version of reader is the most recent, and only, reader you allow me to download.    acrobat reader dc

windows 10

office computer

windows defender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not working

it's not working with everything written here

and it irritate me that I can't work at all with this laptop of mine

windows 7

personal computer

avast

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines