• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can not print PDF documents on both sides of the page (duplex)

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My Brother HL-L5100DN(T) stopped printing PDF (only) documents on both sides. The Print screen does not show the Print on both sides option. Office documents print fine on both sides.

I checked with Brother support and in their opinion the problem is in Acrobat reader.

I uninstalled Acrobat and downloaded a current version and installed it, still the same problem.

I can sen screen shots that show the difference in the print options (Word and PDF).

I would greatly appreciate some help with this issue.

Thanks in advance

Joe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Joen,

We're sorry for the trouble you had with, what is the current version of Adobe Reader installed? To identify, please refer to Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

The Duplex(Two-side printing) is a printer property and if the printer supports this feature, Acrobat/Reader will give you the option to choose Duplex printing in the Print dialog box.

Please check the printer properties once whether the Print on both sides are on or not. Check under Printing Shortcuts

The Properties window may look like this:

Check for any pending updates of Adobe Reader once from help menu>check for updates, reboot the machine and check.

You may also refer and try the suggestions from Print double-sided | Adobe Acrobat, Reader DC

Make sure you have the latest version of the printer firmware installed.

Would you mind sharing the screenshot of the print window and the properties/advanced properties window of the brother printer?

What is the version of the OS installed?

Let us know how it goes and share your observation.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Anand,

I'm using Window 10, and Adobe reader version 19.010.20098.

My Brother HL-L5100DN is working fine. There is no problem printing duplex of Office documents, only PDF/

As I explained the "Print on both sides" option simply is not displayed when I want to print PDF.

Also, this problem started about 2 weeks age, before the was no problem with PDF files.

Regards,

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joe,

I will send you message to get more details on your printer and workflow so that we can triage the issue.

Thanks,

Vishal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3. Re: Can not print PDF documents on both sides of the page (duplex)

I have the exact same problem with acrobat reader and my Brother HL-2280 DW.  It printed both sides up to five days ago.  Then it just stopped.  Two sided printing works with Microsoft office, so the printer is OK.

Thanks, Carlos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Has this issue been fixed yet? please let me know. Thanks.

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joe, I had the same issue.  I did some research and found a solution that worked for me.  This solution is for a Windows computer.

1. Open printer properites (Notice Double-sided is marked no on the General tab under Features)

2. Select Device Settings tab

3. Switch Duplex Unit from Uninstalled (defaulty setting for PDF) to Installed (Notice Double-sided is marked yes now on General tab under Features)

4. Select OK

I hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried your fix but the option to change the duplex unit setting is greyed-out, and does not allow me to change it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2022 Jan 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try updating your printer driver. When I upgraded to Windows 11, it replaced my HP printer driver with a windows generic driver. Once I installed a Windows 11 driver for my printer, double sided printing is back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2023 Apr 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been facing this problem for many a days. Tried multiple settings. Thanks to you, your instructions helped me fixing this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2023 Apr 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

excellent fix, totally worked for me. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for taking the time to post this answer.  It worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are a genius.  Thank you for the work around!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with by Brother HL-2280DW after an Adobe Reader update. It is very likely a device driver issue and not necessarily an Adobe problem. I fixed the problem by going to: Control Panel => Devices and Printers

I right-clicked on the Brother icon and selected "Printer Properties". A separate windown opened and I selected the "Device Settings" tab. Under installable options => Duplex Unit, I changed "Not Installed" to "Installed".

defaultud4evg31c44x_0-1615518089207.png

This restored functionality in Adobe Reader.

Best of Luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had exactly the same problem.  This solution worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for my Brother DCP-7070DW, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines