Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot find or create the font 'Arial'.

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2016 Jun 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Forums,

Cannot find or create the font 'Arial'. Some characters may not display or print correctly.

This happens when exporting from mulitple third party applications to PDF with Adobe Reader XI 11.0.6

Any help is much appreciated!

Thank you,

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

I had this problem for a lot of school PDFs.

What fixed it for me was changing a setting in Preferences:

Edit - Preferences (or Ctrl+K) - Page Display - UNCHECK "Use local fonts".

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When exporting from these third party tools, look for a way to embed the font information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ensure the desired font(s) are properly installed on the source computer (see OS help for this).

Ensure PDF creator actually has the ability to embed fonts / font sub-sets.

If this second feature is not available dump the application & install a 'proper' PDF creation application that does support this (e.g., Adobe's Acrobat).

Be well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This application does support Adobe and the font is standard aerial. This does not happen every time as well. The temporary solution is to close the application and reopen which works for some time then stops.

Checking on the app to see if it is able to embed the font.

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2016 Jun 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. Both Windows and Adobe up-to-date. Occurs somtimes, sometimes not.  It occurs mainly with files I receive from other sources, so I do not have any way of fixing the document itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2016 Jun 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The font may be "standard" arial but mostly it has to be the exact version of Arial (not older, not newer) that you have on your computer. If it isn't, it's hit or miss whether it uses your version or not. So as  mentioned above, you need to be sure that you are using a tool (such as the full version of Adobe Acrobat) that supports embedding fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2016 Jun 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may be the case, but I do not have any control over the PDF files that other organisations sent me. If a government agency is supplying a PDF with specific administrative procedures, I cannot change it.

Furthermore I still think it is a bug. Because if the file is copied to a local drive, it displays correctly. If I have the issue, the file is often viewed online on a website (although that technically also produces a copy locally) or on a network drive. I have a feeling that the latency of the link with the disk/file is having an impact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2016 Aug 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What worked for me when converting a word document to a pdf was in the save as/publish box I selected the options button and under 'PDF options' selected the 'ISO_19002-1 compliant (PDF/A)' box. My document then converted to pdf with no font issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem for a lot of school PDFs.

What fixed it for me was changing a setting in Preferences:

Edit - Preferences (or Ctrl+K) - Page Display - UNCHECK "Use local fonts".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this hack has not solved my issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curiously, this worked on my MacBook Air but not on my iMac 27.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant.   Worked first time.  thank you MastaDoza

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am STILL experiencing the same error every day when opening new pdf's mailed to me. I have tried so many of these hacks about ticking & unticking use local fonts, installing latest version, etc. 

NO JOY

First time I open it, looks blank. Sometimes show after a while, not always

If I rotate the file 90 degrees I can see the text, but difficult to read. When I rotate it back nothing again.

Sometimes when I close and open the file again it will show, but no guarantee.

Funny how each one of these Adobe conversation tracks show this problem is resolved...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just ran into this issue today. The user had recently changed Scale and Layout to 125% in Windows 10 display settings. Changed it back to 100%, logged them out and back in and didn't get the error anymore. Make sure to log out after the change because some apps won't display with the new setting until sign out. Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you that worked for my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found a relatively easy fix.

When you go to PowerPoint / Print    select Printer Properties (the little underlined text)

Then select the Adobe PDF Settings tab and UNSELECT the box "Rely on System fonts only; do not use the document fonts"

Press OK and then Print as usual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines