• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Document Cloud tracks explained: "Continuous" vs. "Classic"

LEGEND ,
May 29, 2015 May 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been wondering for a while why there are two different downloads for Acrobat Reader and Acrobat Pro/Standard: "Continuous" (DC) and "Classic" (2015).

I noticed that these install into different folders (Reader: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader DC\Reader or C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 2015\Reader); store the Preferences in different keys (Reader: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\ or HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\2015\), and of course there are two branches on the FTP server:

rdc_ftp.png

This article explains pretty well what this is all about: http://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/AdminGuide/whatsnewdc.html

I think I will have to uninstall my mixed softwares and install all of the same kind.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 29, 2015 May 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. the installed version numbers are also different (for both Acrobat and Reader)

• Classic (2015): 15.006.30033
  • Continuous (DC): 15.007.20033

​

Also, Acrobat DC requires different serial numbers for the two product lines; serial numbers are not interchangeable.  It is therefore strange that the public download (https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-downloads.html) only offers the "Classic" version!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 14, 2015 Jul 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The version numbers after the first update (July 14, 2015, for both Acrobat and Reader)

• Classic (2015): 15.006.30060
  • Continuous (DC): 15.008.20082

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2015 Jul 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See:

The graph explains it best (Continuous will assumably go on to 16.x, 17.x, etc., while Classic (at least the current one) will stay at 15.x):

continuous.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2015 Oct 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe made it hard again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2015 Oct 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• If you're installing the Classic track, not much has changed from past releases that makes anything harder.
  • If you're installing the Continuous track, the major version does not increment or get end of lifed after 2.5 years, so keeping current is in fact easier.

I do agree that having two tracks with many differences makes it harder to choose the right path forward, but hopefully having two choices is better than having no choices.

hth,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2015 Nov 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see that enterprise customers can choose either track. But I cannot find it firmly stated how this relates to retail customers.

I think it is the case that

* Subscribers get the continuous track (and cannot run the classic software)

* Purchasers of one-time licenses get the classic track (and cannot run the continuous software)

Is this correct?

Secondary question: as I understand it the classic track will not get new features like tabs unless or until there is a major chargeable update. Is that correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(My question of course relates to Acrobat, not the free Reader).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is correct is that a license is classic or continuous specific. So it is true that a user will have one or the other.

The classic track does get new features, but possibly not all the new features that the Continuous track does. Changes are itemized in the release notes. At the moment, I think both products are relatively in sync, though I am not tracking this in detail. Where the two tracks will likely diverge in their feature set is in services. That's because the web client team can and will develop and push new services and the desktop team will push new web plugins so those features can be leveraged on the desktop. Thus, the continuous track can evolve in ways which the ways the classic track cannot.

Additionally, the classic track (including previous 11.x releases and earlier) have always received new features and there has never been charges for products updates other than migration to a new base release.

hth,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2015 Nov 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a license for the full creative cloud suite, I haven't upgraded Acrobat from XI Pro to DC because I don't like the user interface for DC. Is there a way to get the security updates and bug fixes without getting the new "features" of acrobat DC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2015 Nov 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Pro XI has its own path of security updates and bug fixes (absolutely impossible to mix those from another version).

Few bugs will be fixed in XI now, but the security updates will be applied as long as it is supported (probably about another 2 years).

This should be automatic unless you turned it off. What version of XI do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 11.0.6, the "details" link on the update seemed to direct me to a description of the "Continuous" vs. "Classic" of DC updates. Looking again it seems I simply didn't scroll down far enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been security updates since 11.0.6. Check if auto updates are switched off in preferences. If they are, you may need to manually download the update. DON'T download anything related to DC, it either won't work, or will replace XI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Acrobat Updates are within Acrobat, not the CC app).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 16, 2015 Nov 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The details link on the update dialog should take you to Acrobat Help | Release Notes | Acrobat, Reader. What link are you clicking and where exactly do you go?

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2015 Nov 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The details link did take me to the right page, I just didn't scroll down far enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Overview — Acrobat and Adobe Reader Release Notes

there you go! I hope that I am not too late Do remember to scroll down to get the list of updates for Acrobat XI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines