• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Email button causes outlook to freeze

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When ever a user presses the mail button ( the little envelop ) and selects the default mail application, which is Microsoft outlook, it causes outlook to freeze until all Acrobat DC instances are closed. The email will go through, an new mail pop up appears with the PDF attached. But then outlook will be unresponsive until acrobat DC is closed out. Has any one seen this and know of any solutions? I have repaired office and Acrobat and still get the issue.

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Johnp,

When ever a user presses the mail button ( the little envelop ) and selects the default mail application, which is Microsoft outlook, it causes outlook to freeze until all Acrobat DC instances are closed. T

Have you experienced this behavior of Acrobat while sending only a specific pdf as attachment or it happens every time you share the file?

You may check if you have got the latest patch of Acrobat Reader DC installed or not? Open Acrobat>Help>Check for update Or refer to DC Release Notes — Release Notes for Acrobat DC Products

If you got the updated version and its still freezing upon sending pdf as attachment, then you may try the further steps-

• For windows, Open Acrobat>Repair Installation
  • For testing purpose, navigate to Acrobat>Edit>Preferences> disable Security (Enhanced).

Note: Changing the above security settings could pose security risks. We suggest you to turn it back On once you are done with testing.

Thanks,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We do have the latest version. Running a repair, and having security disabled didn't change anything. This happens on any PDF.

I have gone through a few of the troubleshooting steps, but it is outlook that is frozen not acrobat. I haven't been able to find anything on this specific issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2019 May 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find a solution?  We have this same issue on Win 8.1, Outlook 2016 and the latest version of Reader DC.  I ran Outlook in Safe mode and it worked fine.  When not in safe mode, the issue appears to be related to 32BitMAPIBroker.exe.  After sending the email, Outlook will freeze until Adobe is closed or 32BitMAPIBroker.exe is killed via Task Manager.  Any help would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue on multiple PCs as of today. Repairing/upgrading Adobe versions doesn't do anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem too.  Am running outlook 2016 (64bit) and outlook is frozen until acrobat dc is closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have solved my problem.  I had disabled the 2 outlook addins (pdfmaker & document cloud) to cut down on the # of addins loading with outlook.  I re--enabled them and tried emailing a document from within acrobat.  I did not have the problem of outlook being unresponsive after it was sent with the addins enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Akanchha,

My company iManage LLC has an addin component in Outlook. As soon as the addin is enabled, Acrobat feature of emailing attachment hangs Outlook. I have investigated the issue extensively and I think that Acrobat has a bug.

I would like to detail what I have found.

After Acrobat emails the pdf attachment and sends, I have seen two kinds of hangs:

1) Outlook hangs when user selects different emails

2) Open an email from inbox in outlook

I observed that it hangs when the new message arrives at inbox folder. The only to get out of the hang is to exit acrobat and Outlook will be responsive again.

I also observed that the new message window in Outlook is modal windows (not modal less).

The outlook doesn't hang if our outlook addin is disabled.

I think that the bug is Adobe acrobat is holding onto Outlook application object after emailing the attachment.

Further investigations show that the hangs occur only when our addin handles Outlook application_ItemSent event and accesses recipient table in the event handler.

The code snippet causes the hang:

void applicationObject_ItemSend(object Item, ref bool Cancel)

{

Outlook.MailItem mail = (Outlook.MailItem) Item;

int recipientsCount = mail.Recipients.Count;

for (int i = recipientsCount; i > 0; i--)

{

Outlook.Recipient r1 = null;

try

{

r1 = mail.Recipients;  //this line causes the hang

}

catch (System.Exception ex)

{

Log.Add(0, "ERROR: Retrieving recipients -" + ex.ToString(), "ExplorerWrapper.ActionEmail");

}

}

Please pass this information to develop team. You can contact me to discuss this issue.

Thanks,

Vincent Wu

iManage LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue with outlook freezing. The recent update by Adobe was not very lucky, adding more clicks and issues.

It is understood that Adobe wants to drive users to use their cloud services, but it'd be highly appreciated to get a fix for this freezing issue as it causes frustration among our users.

Have been looking at replacing reader by Edge and other solutions. While you dont really need reader and in fact may be better off without (the fewer applications installed, the better), Microsoft follows the same concept by forcing users using their own cloud solutions / not supporting their own outlook application for 'sharing' anymore, either.

Time for a simple open source solution to jump in and bridge the GAP.

Any further ideas and any response from Adobe are much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact, just introduced a simple open source PDF viewer, which also allows to send e-mails. Very fast, slim and so far no freeze. Thinking of rolling it out to all workstations if tests are successful.

Great to have alternatives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This message is for Vincent Wu from iManage - Vincent, we are an iManage shop and are having issues, similar to those described above. Any chance i can talk to you? iManage 9.3.4 going into 9.3.6.323 (tested) with older DC Pro 15 Classic 2015.006.30498, Office 2016 x 64. Win is 1709, hoping to go to 1809 in the next couple of months. We actually have tickets opened with iManage. I am pulling my hair out with the Outlook "freezing" when using Adobe \ File Send and i am about to ask our users not to use that feature until further notice.

Thanks,

Lily F .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. my email address is vincent.wu@imanage.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a documentation/solution about this issue from adobe

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/outlook-acrobat-reader-freeze-crash.html

They are providing a regkey to fix the problem. Please let me know if the above link resolves this issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also been searching for an answer to this issue. This seems to have taken care of it. I tried sending a pdf to myself from acrobat, and sending that same address an email from my phone. Inbox updated with the new email, without closing out of Acrobat, and I can navigate Outlook without it locking up. 

Thank you so much for posting this. This solved my problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are running the latest version of Acrobat. Desksite 9.3.6 819.   We are still running into this problem.  This reg key not working.  I opened a ticket to Acrobat & iManage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update to this? The reg key isn't working for us as either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have an active case with Acrobat Support.  How many users affected in your environment?  I can rely the information to their support team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fix worked for us 3/4/2021. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And here we are in 2021 and the issue is still not fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issues here with multiple users. 

When sending a message with the Adobe Mail button (envelope icon) Outlook will send the message and just freeze or close itself with no Event Viewer entry.

This is occuring on 20+ of our customers. 

Adobe DC with Outlook 365

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have at least narrowed down the fact that you have to have Outlook closed for this problem to occur. If Outlook is open we don't run into the issue here.

Previous to this I tried repairing Outlook / Office (both methods) and even went as far as wiping a machine with the thought windows was corrupted.

From what I can tell, whatever process runs after the email is sent to close Outlook down freezes Outlook. You can confirm this by opening the taskbar and looking for the "Outlook is closing" icon.

Running Outlook 2016 with Windows 10 latest version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2019 May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont use adobe's email button in the browser. Instead go to file - send - page to email. Works every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2019 May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You open PDF's in your browser?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You open PDF's in your browser?

Standard behavior in some companies. Mine included.

I don't use it myself, because the featureset is rather limited, and I hate finding my action buttons different places.

But many of my colleagues work all day in a browser-based system, where all documents are saved as pdf-files. When they open such an embedded document, it opens in their browser (new tab), because they are opening the document from a browser...

I usually solve their various issues by asking them to save the document to their desktop, and open it from there (so that it triggers the usual document-reader to respond).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue on some of our users, the PDF is open and when they try to email it the reader locks up taking outlook with it until the reader process is killed. The latest update added an unnecessary menu that causes issues. If we want to email it it should try to use the defined methods or just the default not trying to push adobe services every time we want to email

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines