Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fatal error - Acrobat failed to send DDE command

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.

We have a third party bit of software which generates reports in PDF format and automatically opens the generated report in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC via SQL. For some reason around 2 weeks ago, instead of opening reports in Adobe Acrobat, it now generates an Adobe Acrobat fatal error, "Acrobat failed to send a DDE command".

We have tried completely removing Adobe Acrobat using the removal / cleanup tool but we're still getting the same problem.  I have followed advise from I have been getting the "acrobat fail to send a DDE command" , and problem still persists.  The only thing I did not do was change was the Log On properties of the Remote Procedure Call service.  I would like to avoid making a major change such as this, but if there is good evidence this is the fix I will revisit this as an option.

This is running on Server 2012 with terminal services.  The current version we are running is Version 2018.009.20050.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Greg

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Greg,

Sorry for the delay in response to your query and apologize for the inconvenience caused. As per the description above, you are getting an error message of Adobe Reader failed to connect to DDE Server, Is that correct?

Please try the following troubleshooting steps mentioned below:

1) Make sure that the application is not open to the Task Manager.

•     Go to the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del.
  •     Go to the processes in Task Manager.
  •     End all processes related to Acrobat.
  •     Restart the computer.
  •     Launch Acrobat again.

2) Repair the application. Open Acrobat and navigate to Help menu > Repair installation.

3) Check the file association on your system.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anand,

This is an error coming up on a terminal server with multiple users logged in.  However we have tested by closing the acrobat processes and rebooting, but as you may appreciate this is not something we can do often.

I have also repaired the installation, as well as completely removing and reinstalling.

I have checked and reset the file associations on the system as well.

Are there any further checks and tests that we can perform?

Thanks,

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Greg,

Thank you for the details. Please disable the protected mode for testing purpose and see if this brings any difference. Please change the settings to default again.

Please collect the log files of the machine and share it us through the Private message, I have sent you the instructions to collect the log files via private message, please check your email inbox.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anand,

I've tried with protected mode on and off (Was already disabled) and still getting the same issue.  I have also added the file locations into the Windows trusted sites and added as a host on the privileged locations settings.  But the issue is still persisting.

I've run the log collector, but the ZIP file generated is empty?

Thanks,

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Greg,

Sorry for the delay in response to your query and apologize for the inconvenience caused. I have sent you a private message, please check your email inbox.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was the solution to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Eniac,

Sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. If you have tried  all the suggestions mentioned above, and the issue still persists, please contact the Adobe Acrobat technical support team so that they can take remote access to  the computer and can assist you Contact Customer Care

Feel free to update this discussion for any further assistance.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anand,

I would contact support for my issue but it doesn't look like there is anywhere I can get support but from the community forums due to it being an issue with Adobe Reader DC. Please advise.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eniac,

Sorry for the trouble. Adobe Reader is a freeware software, and the support is only available on Adobe forums. If you have tried all the steps and suggestions shared above, then please share the following details:

Please share your findings.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anand,

Adobe Reader DC Version: 2018.011.20038

Windows 7 Enterprise

Office Machine

This all started when we originally had issues viewing certain PDF's in Internet Explorer. Some PDF's would, fairly frequently, render a blank grey screen in the Internet Explorer window or prompt to say "Adobe can't open in protected mode due to compatibility issues" if opening a local PDF that is affected. As a fix to this issue, we disabled 'Start Adobe Reader in Protected Mode' and I believe that is when the DDE server error began happening.

In regards to the "Adobe Cannot Connect to DDE Server" error, I have tried every fix I can find on the forums, including but not limited to:

- Uninstall Adobe Reader with Adobe Cleaning Tool/Reinstall/Update

- Whitelist the server address of the host within Adobe Reader DC.

- Editing registry to disable Adobe welcome screen.

- Verified a different registry key was set to correct value. (AcroViewR18)

- Rebuilt user profile.

- Turned off open in protected mode (This may be causing the issue).

All affected machines are running Windows 7 Enterprise x86/x64 and it's been affecting at least 100 users. Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated at this point.

Thanks,

Eniac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anand,

Any update on this? We have been dealing with this issue for a while and need to resolve it one way or another. We have licenses for Acrobat Pro as well but this issue is only regarding Reader DC. Is there an option to pay for advanced support or what is the next step?

Thanks,

Eniac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Eniac,

Sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. I have sent you a private message, please check your email inbox.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Anand,

Is there a solution to this issue? We are seeing it here at my company as well.

Thanks,

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get a solution? I have exactly and I followed all of your posts and the suggestions from Adobe and nothing works.

I don't know what to do - I'm only marginally techy and this is preventing me from doing my work.

Marye Ann

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Marye_Ann, 

I just encountered this issue, and mine was fixed by disabling the adobe acrobat add in on all office products, and seems to resolve the issue. 

Thank you, 

Bereket 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines