• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FIx for Problems opening PDF files

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2008 Jul 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget about downloading a new version of Adobe Reader. If you are having problems opening a PDF file all you have to do is right click on the file and Save As (someplace you can go back to such as Desktop)Then go to the desk top (Windows Key + D) and open the file. I hope this helps a lot of people.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You talking about any particular problem? You could mean just about anything.

PDF files open just fine for most people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People are having problems with Adobe Reader up to version 9. When they try to open a PDF file received over the internet Adobe promts with download information. However the download does not work and they are stuck again. First they cannot delete or remove Adobe Reader to download the new version and second they still cannot open the PDF file by clicking on it as usual.

The Fix as I stated before, that works for me, is to save the file with a right click onto the desktop. Go to the Desktop and right click the saved file and select Open With. To the right, select Adobe Reader. I sure hope this works for most people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2009 Apr 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of my clients is having a similar problem. He cannot open ANY pdf files I send to him anymore. No one else has problems opening my pdf files, and he can open pdf files from other people. I am using Acrobat 9 Pro, he is using Acrobat reader 9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

p.s. he tried your suggestion of right clicking and saving with new name....no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mamamille.

This is a pretty old thread but maybe we can help but, could you give us some more information?

How are you sending the PDF files to the Reader user (email, CD...etc?). How are they trying to open it (double clicking in the email if applicable, using File>Open...etc)? What exactly happens when they try and open it (nothing, an error message...etc)?

The more details we can get, the better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good evening,
Thank you for your prompt response.
BACKGROUND:
I have been sending files to this customer for a couple of years. He says he's not doing anything different. I am not doing anything different either. He gets the same response on two different computers. He has no problems with files from anyone else. None of my other clients have this problem. I can open the same files if I send them to a different computer. I even tried zipping the file....no luck. I do send the files to him and myself in the same e-mail....so I would think if it was damaged...it would be damaged on my end as well?
INFO
Windows XP (both of us). I am printing to pdf from InDesign CS3. ( I did try exporting...same results)
He has Acrobat Reader 9. something. I have Acrobat Pro 9.
He is opening his e-mail, then clicking attachment, then clicking "open".
He also tried "save" and still same results.
RESULTS
He gets an error message to the effect that "the file is damaged".
On the zip file he gets error message "file is corrupted or damaged"
Any advice will be appreciated. We have only had this problem in the past couple of months.
Thank you,
MamaMille

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 29, 2009 Apr 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WEll there IS a chance the either his or your email providor is using some sort of encoding on the filoes which can corrupt the PDF but that won't normally corrupt ZIP files. Odd.

You are printing to the PDF printer. As an experiment, let's take your version of Acrobat completely out of this. Instead of printing to a PDF, try exporting to PDF from InDesign (that process doesn't use Acrobat at all).

If the same thing happens, you can at least rule out Acrobat. At that point it is either your email providor (you can test that by sending the files on a CD or some other media) or something on the other persons end. The latter will be hard to do anything about unless he comes in here with some details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2009 May 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried exporting to pdf instead of printing to pdf. Same results.

Put test files on a CD ... he could open fine.

Seems there is some glitch in his server? His new e-mail address messes up the files I send him. His old server/address does not give any problems opening my files. However, he can open pdf files sent to his new address by other people. It seems to be just me and his new address creating havoc. The workaround, for now is to send to old address.

Seems to me to not be an Acrobat issue...more of a server issue...but try to convince the customer of that!

I do appreciate your help and suggestions.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2011 Dec 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did it - but not with a new name - just saved to desktop and then right clicked / selected "open with" 0->Adobe Reader.  It worked.  Double clicking on the pdf files wasn't working for me all of a sudden (last few months). This workaround worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 21, 2010 Oct 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having similar problems with version 9.0.4 - Some

of the pdf files I get within a web page don't open. Those I get

via e-mail don't seem to give any proble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2011 Dec 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workaround the person posted (right clicking/"open with" dropdown menu/select Adobe Reader).  THANKS!

Weird that this has been happening.  Used to be able to double click and the pdf would open.  Anyway - the workaround works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2012 Dec 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

im having the same problem and i tried to right click and was going to click open with but adobe isnt there only word or note pad  i have a lot of documents on my computer and i cannot open them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines