• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Set up Print As Image Registry Default.

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2008 Mar 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a response to the archived post at:

martin hrubes, "How to customize printing by registry - print as image" #, 6 Nov 2007 2:28 am

I was trying to find out how to set the "Print As Image" advanced setting to be enabled by default. Here is what I discovered through trial and error.

1. The setting is stored per user and per printer. (i.e. it has to be set for each printer for each user.)

2. The registry setting is stored in the following key:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\8.0\General\cPrintAsImage]

3. In this key, each printer has a separate binary value named s0, s1, s2, etc. The number increments by 1 for each printer added. If you open the value data, you will see it contains the name of the printer encoded in hex. (ex. hex coded for \\Server\Printer1)

My recomendation is to open a pdf file in reader, go to File -> Print ->Select Desired Printer -> Click "Advanced" Options -> Enable "Print As Image" -> Click OK - Click OK again. Repeat for each printer you want to
change.

**NOTE** If you don't click OK both times (i.e. cancel the print dialog), the change will not be saved. You have to actually print something to the printer. If you don't want to print something, make sure the printer is offline or not accessible (unplug the network, usb, parallel, serial cable) first. Once the printer has been changed, it will keep the setting until to you change it.

After you have set-up all of the desired printers, open RegEdit and navigate to the above key. Right click on it, and export it. Note the file name and location you are saving to. Close RegEdit. "Edit" (Right Click) the file just exported ("Opening" the file will just import it back into the registry.). Once opened, highlight and copy the registry key and all of the registry values. Paste the key and values at the end of the file. In one of the keys change "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\" to "HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\". Save and exit the file.

When imported this file will enable the "Print As Image" setting for the currently logged in user plus add the setting to the default users profile so any new users to the machine will have it enabled by default also. However, it will not add it to any other user profiles that already exist on the computer. To do this, either use a login script for domain computers or add the reg file to the "All Users Startup" folder.

It would be nice to have a setting in the deployment custimazation wizard to handle this, but for now we're stuck with enabling it the hard way.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2008 Jun 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any ideas where the key is located in V7 of Adobe Reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Sep 04, 2009 Sep 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Allan;

Thank you very much. This is a great post!

Don.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 21, 2009 Sep 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone figured out how to do this on Adobe reader 9.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2011 Jul 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Spyla, please see this link http://www.404techsupport.com/2008/09/09/make-adobe-reader-and-adobe-acrobat-use-print-as-image-sett....

Allan, many thanks for your post, it certainly helped point me in the right direction.  what I found though is that you do not need to tick the print as image box at any point during the setting up of this.  All you need to do is add the registry key for whichever version of Adobe you are using for this to work.  So basically. what you are saying for each instance of Adobe is regardless of whether or not the print as image is selected, the registry key is saying always print as image for the printer as specified by the hex code. I have found that for network printers, you have to include the full path i.e. \\<servername>\<printername> e.g \\testserver\printer1 and convert all of that to hex. With later versions (9 up over), they have allowed for the string name of the printer so that it is just plain text which also makes life easier.

What I do is apply this registry entry via Group Policy on a per room basis so that we only ever need to add one printer to the list.  you could do this globally by adding all printers sequentially using s0, s1, s2 or t0, t1, t2 etc depending on which version you are using.  The screenshot shows the registry key for 1 printer for Adobe Reader 8.

RegKey.jpg

The value data is the binary code for the actual full printer name

This works a treat.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2011 Oct 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone found out where this key is located for Adobe Reader X?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2011 Oct 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0  From within here, crate a General key and then Create a cPrintAsImage key and then follow Allan's post above.  This should work.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2014 Jun 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a requirement for security to upgrade all of my users however there is an issue with printing and I found that the only way I can guarantee all of my users can print is by changing this setting. I have created a GPO to add the registry to all users and checked that it gets placed in the correct location with the correct fields however the default printing has remained the same and does not change to print as an image . Any thoughts ?

Servers are Server 2003 OS

Adobe XI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

will direct update Registry for 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\CPrintImageAs option will work ? or need to restart machine after registry updation to take effect ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2014 Sep 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me

. I feel you need to reiterate that once you click "Ok" in the advanced tab, you need to click "Print" in order for the settings stick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 11, 2015 May 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

Has anyone been able to get this to work with the new version of Adobe Reader. I am tried all sort of Registry entries , nothing seems to be working.

Regards,

Vinnie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Adobe Acrobat READER DC, this works a bit differently.

values are stored here.

\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\General\cPrintAsImage

Originally this is empty with a "Default = 0" string value. Changing this to 1 does nothing.

I was hoping this would be a simple 1 or 0 to change defaut for "Print as image" but no.

When you physically go into Adobe Reader and mark the box for print as image, it will add a string entry named

t0 = string value = <printername 1>

t1 = string value = <printername 2>

t2 = string value = <printername 3>

and so on...

Problem here is that you need to manually add this string value for each printer, and import that into registry if you run a terminal server environment.

Why Adobe did not just simply add a Default value changeable of this i have no idea.

It would be great if changing Default = 1 here would force all printers installed to automatically preselect themselves as "Print as Image", so the guy who invented this feature at Adobe should be fired.

Managing printers in a server environment is something companies like Adobe should consider... 😞

BÃ¥rd

Norway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines