• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I desperately need to UNINSTALL adobe reader XI from my Mac OSX, does anyone know how?

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2012 Oct 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed Adobe Reader XI and I have found it will force other (main) programs to crash. I desperately need to uninstall it from my Mac osx. Does anyone know how to do this? It does not have an uninstall function and adobe customer help don't know what I can do.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 23, 2012 Oct 23, 2012

Hi,

There is no uninstaller for Reader XI in Mac. You can directly delete the application from Applications folder, that is just trash /Applications/Adobe Reader.app. Also this may cause a break in Safari functionality to read PDF files using Adobe Reader plugin. To resolve this, go to /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/  and remove AdobePDFViewer.plugin and AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin

Thanks,

Karan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 23, 2012 Oct 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

There is no uninstaller for Reader XI in Mac. You can directly delete the application from Applications folder, that is just trash /Applications/Adobe Reader.app. Also this may cause a break in Safari functionality to read PDF files using Adobe Reader plugin. To resolve this, go to /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/  and remove AdobePDFViewer.plugin and AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin

Thanks,

Karan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2012 Oct 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Morning Karan,

Thank you so very much for your help. It worked and my medical software is no longer threatening to crash on me.

Have a fabulous day.

Warmest RegardsFiona

[private data removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2013 Mar 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have the same serious problem, it happend after I installed Adobe Reader on my mac (10.7.5):

Suddently safari was utilizing AR for viewing pdf over the internet. I tried to delete the program, and see if safari was turning to Preview for viewing pdf,

no way, it give me a callbox as this one:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/248/schermata032456356alle2.png/

I Didn't find any plugin in the libreary that i can remove to solve the situation, Have you an idea?

Thank you very much.

André

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2013 Mar 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally get a solution,

by going at this local address:

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins

and deleting all Adobe Plug-ins

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2013 Mar 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I too installed it on my new iMac thinking I needed it. Guess I didn't but had no idea coming from a PC. I removed the app to the trash and removed both plug-ins, but when trying to access a PDF online, I get a browser window that opens up black and nothing happens. Should I reinstall and just use or what can be done to fix?

PS: it may be due to the site. I visited my CU and the statement came up as a PDF, but the mutual fund side didn't and on their tech page, it says Adobe Plug In may be needed to view.

So with that being said, is it better to use Adobe Reader on a Mac or just use the default capability? Sorry, new to the whole Mac thing (but lovingit).

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that Preview is one of the most powerful tool of Apple bundle Apps.

So I suggest you to use only Preview for viewing and managing PDF both on the internet and offline.

Forget about AR, is useless in MacOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, moved it to my Dock. Is there a way to make it used for default when opening PDFs on the Web, like the forms I tried from www.troweprice.com/forms? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 13, 2013 Mar 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Andreplastic

i was using Preview since i want to try AR for a spécific tool

my problem is to uninsatll AR, because  AR is running automatically when i load a pdf from internet

i removed the two plugin and AR.app to the trash

but when i want to view a pdf form from internet i got a black window and it's impossible to read it ...

if somebody know a solution, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello

i have exactely the same problem than Photoguru76

i have removed the 2 plugin AdobePDFViewer.plugin and AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin

but i have a black page when i want to open a pdf from internet

what can i do to really uninsatll AR

thank you for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 13, 2013 Mar 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello

i saw your answer to Fiona but it doens't solve entirely my problem, i you can do something

my problem is to uninsatll AR, because  AR is running automatically when i load a pdf from internet

i removed the two plugin and AR.app to the trash

but when i want to view a pdf form from internet i got a black window and it's impossible to read teh pdf form

if somebody know a solution, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2013 Apr 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah now you just have to shut safari down and re open it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 11, 2013 Sep 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unable to view pdf files in safari, despite having deleted Adobe Reader. My Library/Internet Plug-Ins folder is empty, but I continue to get a grey screen whenever I try to view a pdf file in my browser.

What can I do? I have tried everything listed in this thread so far.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2015 Jul 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dont understand these instructions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 05, 2015 Jul 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which ones? What exactly do you want to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i want to remove all adobe acrobat reader from my mac

then reinstall

currently unable to

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have re-read Karan's instructions and find them clear enough. What parts aren't you understanding? "Currently unable to" isn't a clear explanation of your difficulties.What happens when you try? Where in the process do you get stuck? Do you get any error messages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2015 Jul 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the croft reader icon on my dock (IOS)

when i click it open I see a log in screen

as well as two pdf documents in the background

I try to log in but my log in is not accepted, even tho I recently updated my log in

when I try to hit the quit acrobat button nothing happens

The only option i am allowed is to hide acrobat reader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2015 Jul 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using IOS, then it's a very different story. We've been talking about Mac. No idea what a croft reader is, sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2015 Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry confused my phone OS

I am on a mac using 10.10.3 Yosemite

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2015 Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, what's a croft reader? Can you share a screen shot of this login box? (You CANNOT email it, you must return to the forum and use the camera icon)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello

i have exactely the same problem than Photoguru76

i have removed the 2 plugin AdobePDFViewer.plugin and AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin

but i have a black page when i want to open a pdf from internet

what can i do to really uninsatll AR

thank you for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2015 Apr 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AppCleaner is your best bet to uninstall (technically Delete) any app on your Mac that was not installed from App Store.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines