Exit

Installation fails when slipstream update 10.1.2 into 10.1.0 MSI-Package

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2012 Jan 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I need some help.

After slipstreaming the update 10.1.2 into the 10.1.0 Reader MSI-Package the installer fails with message:

Error 1334. The file 'adobearmhelper.exe' cannot be installed because the file cannot be found in cabinet file 'Data1.cab'. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.

System is W7 SP1 with latest updates. No Anti-Virus running. Working under administrator account (system and console).

From Reader 10.1.0 I slipstreamed the update 10.1.2 as follows:

msiexec /a AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi /p AdbeRdrUpd1012.msp

Update runs successfully.

Extracting the Data1.cab of the new integrated package shows: 'adobearmhelper.exe' is missing.

Extracting the AdbeRdrUpd1012.msp shows: adobearmhelper.exe is there.

The 1-Mio.-$-Question is: why does the slipstream not work/integrate all files correct?

Very funny: when I download the AdbeRdr1012_en_US.exe from ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.1.2/en_US/, extract the .exe and have a look in the Data1.cab -> adobearmhelper.exe is missing. Checking the "AcroRead.msi" with Orca MSI-Editor shows: no entry in File-Table for adobearmhelper.exe.

Installing the AdbeRdr1012_en_US.exe giving the version 10.1.0.

What's wrong?

I downloaded the MSI package for Reader 10.1.0 from:

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.1.0/en_US/

and the Update to 10.1.2 from:

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.1.2/misc/

Integrating and installing 10.1.1 in 10.1.0 works fine without errors.

Unfortunately an update from 10.1.1 to 10.1.2 stops with an error and doesn't work.

Does somebody know about problems with 10.1.2?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Johannes

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 11, 2012 Jan 11, 2012

Please use the correct way to create the AIP as detailed below. The AIP for the full Reader (i.e. AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi) must be created as a separate transaction followed by updating the AIP created with the latest patch update (i.e. AdbeRdrUpd1012.msp).

Please see kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83709/attachments/Acrobat_Enterprise_Administration.pdf for more information on the same.

1. msiexec /a AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi

(When prompted for an install location enter an appropriate location on your local

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem as above. Does anyone know if Adobe has issued a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Small workaround:

1. Integrate AdbeRdrUpd1012.msp into AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi as given in my first post
  2. Edit the "new" AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi with Orca MSI-Editor
  3. When deleting all entries for "adobearmhelper.exe" the installer is moaning about a missing "dexechosign.spi"
  4. Delete both entries for "adobearmhelper.exe" and "dexechosign.spi" works on my side

Installer runs through all steps without errors.

Reader works fine too as well as installing via GPO on a WinXP SP3 test-client.

No guarantee for full functionality as I don't know what the "dexechosign.spi" stands for.

Modifying on your own risk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please use the correct way to create the AIP as detailed below. The AIP for the full Reader (i.e. AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi) must be created as a separate transaction followed by updating the AIP created with the latest patch update (i.e. AdbeRdrUpd1012.msp).

Please see kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83709/attachments/Acrobat_Enterprise_Administration.pdf for more information on the same.

(When prompted for an install location enter an appropriate location on your local disk. say C:\AIP)

2. msiexec /a C:\AIP\AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi /p AdbeRdrUpd1012.msp

This will ensure any and all new files being added as part of a new update will be automatically incorporated in the AIP created.

Hope this will solve your problem and save you the trouble of having to remove the entry from Orca explicitly.

Ankit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Ankit.

Thanks for your help.

This worked for me.

Step 1 was the important one.

But I don't understand why it won't work only with step 2?!

I updated our Arobat Standard 8 to 8.3.1 only with step 2 and it worked fine, as well as Reader from 10.1.0 to 10.1.1.

Just the 10.1.2 update requires step 1.

I'm a little bit confused

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The correct methodology to create an AIP for any version, is to follow the following process:

1. Create an AIP with the latest available MSI installer.

eg. For Reader X it would be Reader 10.1.0 whilst for Acrobat 8/9/X it would be Acrobat 8.0/9.0/10.0

2. This step would vary depending on whether you are creating an AIP for Acrobat/Reader 8/9 or X.

If you are creating an AIP for Acrobat/Reader 8/9, you would need to update the AIP created in step 1 above with all the quarterly releases uptil now.

However, if you are creating an AIP for Acrobat/Reader X, you would need to update the AIP created in step 1 above with only the latest released quarterly release and no intermediate one.

The method which you were using to create the AIP is incorrect, but may function correctly if no new files are being added as part of the new update released. Any changes in the file table would result in a failure.

Hope this helps

Ankit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your detailled explanation.

Sounds logical.

I know that changing the file table is - of course - not the way to handle it.

And the solution was more than easy.

Thanks again for your great help!!

Johannes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2012 Jan 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this applies to Acrobat Pro as well?  If Acrobat installation points need to be made from quarterly updates such as 10.1.0, it would be helpful if the patch download page didn't say that 10.1.1 was required to install the patch! I dutifully created a new AIP (so the current wasn't at risk) and then applied patches to bring it up to 10.1.1 as instructed and now I'm getting the error message described above.  If I create a 10.1.0 installation point, can I apply the 10.1.2 patch to it despite what the download lpage says?    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 20, 2012 Jan 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For creating AIPs you need to update the AIP created for the last created MSI.

Hence, in the case of Acrobat, the AIP for any quarterly update released must be created again using the following commands:

msiexec /a <path to 10.0.0 msi>

msiexec /a <path to msi created above> /p <path to the quarterly update>

Also, as mentioned in the Release Notes (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83708/attachments/Acrobat_Reader_ReleaseNote_10.1.2.pdf), application of a quarterly patch over an AIP based installation (with the exception of a MSI based installation) is not supported. So you wont be able to install the 10.1.2 patch over a 10.1.0 installation point but you would be able to apply the patch over a 10.0.0 AIP based installation.

it would be helpful if the patch download page didn't say that 10.1.1 was required to install the patch!

I guess you misread the download page. The download page says that Acrobat 10.1.1 or earlier versions are supported for the application of the Acrobat 10.1.2 patch.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Ankit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2012 Jan 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello Ankit_Jain,

I have run into same problem as OP described, using the same method as he initially tried. With only difference that I first used the EXE package to get the MSI from it (along with setup.ini required for Customization Wizard X). Then I realized that such package is broken and cannot get installed over our GPO policies ("Error 1334. The file 'adobearmhelper.exe' cannot be installed because the file cannot be found in cabinet file 'Data1.cab'. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.").

I tried following your instructions to the letter using same MSI version from FTP you used and as far as new updated MSI (patched by MSP) gets created successfully and completely this time, there is no way (at least for me) of using the Customization Wizard X on such MSI package (setup.ini is missing) ... and so making it useless for our company... any idea how to push it further, so I can get that package customized for our needs and environment with a MST transform file and deploy the update?

I tried using Generate Transform option and it doesn't work, still calls for setup.ini upon clicking Save.

Thanks.

EDIT:

I fixed the problem by copying setup.exe and setup.ini from 10.1.0 package (coming from EXE package we used in past) and I was able to use the Cust wizard X on this patched to 10.1.2 MSI.

testing now, finally!

works!

Ankit_Jain wrote:

Please see kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83709/attachments/Acrobat_Enterprise_Admi nistration.pdf for more information on the same.

(When prompted for an install location enter an appropriate location on your local disk. say C:\AIP)

2. msiexec /a C:\AIP\AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi /p AdbeRdrUpd1012.msp

This will ensure any and all new files being added as part of a new update will be automatically incorporated in the AIP created.

Hope this will solve your problem and save you the trouble of having to remove the entry from Orca explicitly.

Ankit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 24, 2012 Jan 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad that it worked for you.

there is no way (at least for me) of using the Customization Wizard X on such MSI package (setup.ini is missing)

As far as using Customization Wizard is concerned, "Saving a package" usually needs a Setup.ini file, since it assumes that you would be using the Setup.exe to install the program.

However, in case you do not have the Setup.exe file, you can chose to Generate a Transform (at your specific location) and chose not to save the package while exiting the Customiaation Wizard. This would give you a MST file which can thereon be used by using the following command:

msiexec /i <path to MSI> TRANSFORMS=<path to MST file>

Hope this helps.

Ankit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2012 Jan 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for a reply. Yes I tried using the option to Generate Transform and it asked where I want to save that file. I picked the location and name, however upon clicking Save button the wizard poped up the same error "Setup.ini is missing" and did not create my file. not sure why. I am using Windows XP x64 SP2 here, perhaps it's not supported or something?

Ankit_Jain wrote:

Glad that it worked for you.

there is no way (at least for me) of using the Customization Wizard X on such MSI package (setup.ini is missing)

As far as using Customization Wizard is concerned, "Saving a package" usually needs a Setup.ini file, since it assumes that you would be using the Setup.exe to install the program.

However, in case you do not have the Setup.exe file, you can chose to Generate a Transform (at your specific location) and chose not to save the package while exiting the Customiaation Wizard. This would give you a MST file which can thereon be used by using the following command:

msiexec /i <path to MSI> TRANSFORMS=<path to MST file>

Hope this helps.

Ankit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Its working pretty much the same way even on Win XP x64 SP2 on my end as well. Could you please ensure that you are following the below steps:

1. Close any and all instances of Adobe Customization Wizard X

2. Click on File > Open and navigate to the MSI in the AIP just created.

3. Select the MSI And click Open

4. Make the necessary changes.

5. Click on Transform > Generate Transform

6. In the new window that opens up, navigate to the appropriate folder and provide the file name and click on Save.

7. Close Adobe Customization Wizard X and click No on the dialog that asks you to Save the changes.

Do the above instructions work.?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried those steps exactly. it does NOT work for me. step 6 fails (after clicking Save) with a pop up message screaming for setup.ini.

Ankit_Jain wrote:

Hi,

Its working pretty much the same way even on Win XP x64 SP2 on my end as well. Could you please ensure that you are following the below steps:

1. Close any and all instances of Adobe Customization Wizard X

2. Click on File > Open and navigate to the MSI in the AIP just created.

3. Select the MSI And click Open

4. Make the necessary changes.

5. Click on Transform > Generate Transform

6. In the new window that opens up, navigate to the appropriate folder and provide the file name and click on Save.

7. Close Adobe Customization Wizard X and click No on the dialog that asks you to Save the changes.

Do the above instructions work.?

I suspect why though, probably some of changes I do, require it?

List of changes I do (versus default settings):

Installation Options category

-switch to Make Reader the default PDF viewer (some machines in our domain have also Acrobat Pro 9)

-enable Run Installation Silently (no interface)

-enable Supress reboot

Registry category:

-add a following key on destination computer (required on pre-Vista/7 systems otherwise user will get a pop up and will call me, most of them don't know much about computers and get scared when they see popups about "Protected Mode" and such):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\FeatureLockDown]

"bProtectedMode"=dword:00000000

EULA category:

-check Supress EULA

Online and Acrobat.com Features category:

-check Disable all updates checked (users have no installation rights, all software is distributed via GPOs and installed before logon)

-check Disable "Purchase Adobe Acrobat" Help button

-check Disable "Digital Editions" in Help

-check Disable Product Improvement

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 26, 2012 Jan 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ooops... Sorry, I seemed to have missed this earlier. You are absolutely correct. It has to do with the customizations you have applied specifically the one as below:

-enable Supress reboot

Since, the commands to enable the options slected above, have to be entered in the Setup.ini file, it seems to be seeking the file.

You can obtain the said file and the accompanying Setup.exe by following the below mentioned steps:

1. Download the AdbRdr1012_en_US.exe from http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise (to a folder say C:\Rdr)

2. Open Command Prompt by going to Start > Run > type in cmd and hit Enter

3. Type in the following:

C:\Rdr\AdbeRdr1012_en_US.exe -sfx_o"C:\Rdr" -sfx_ne (Hit Enter)

4. Once the extraction gets over, you will see the extracted files which would include a Setup.exe and Setup.ini

5. Copy both of these files (only these 2 files) to the AIP folder containing the MSI you were initially trying to Customize.

6. Open the file Setup.ini in Notepad and change the following:

msi=AcroRead.msi to msi=AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi

7. Delete the line PATCH=AdbeRdrUpd1012.msp. Save the file and exit Notepad.

8. Launch the Customization Wizard X and open the MSI in the AIP you had created. Do the necesary customizations and Save the Package and you should be good to go.

Hopefully this should fix things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2012 Jan 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks! I will try that next time.

just out of curiosity, is there any difference betwen commands:

C:\Rdr\AdbeRdr1012_en_US.exe -sfx_o"C:\Rdr" -sfx_ne

and

C:\Rdr\AdbeRdr1012_en_US.exe -nos_o"C:\Rdr" -nos_ne

?

I keep using the older one (found it elsewhere when working on AR8 or 9) with NOS switches instead of SFX.

Ankit_Jain wrote:

Ooops... Sorry, I seemed to have missed this earlier. You are absolutely correct. It has to do with the customizations you have applied specifically the one as below:

-enable Supress reboot

Since, the commands to enable the options slected above, have to be entered in the Setup.ini file, it seems to be seeking the file.

You can obtain the said file and the accompanying Setup.exe by following the below mentioned steps:

1. Download the AdbRdr1012_en_US.exe from http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise (to a folder say C:\Rdr)

2. Open Command Prompt by going to Start > Run > type in cmd and hit Enter

3. Type in the following:

C:\Rdr\AdbeRdr1012_en_US.exe -sfx_o"C:\Rdr" -sfx_ne (Hit Enter)

4. Once the extraction gets over, you will see the extracted files which would include a Setup.exe and Setup.ini

5. Copy both of these files (only these 2 files) to the AIP folder containing the MSI you were initially trying to Customize.

6. Open the file Setup.ini in Notepad and change the following:

msi=AcroRead.msi to msi=AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi

7. Delete the line PATCH=AdbeRdrUpd1012.msp. Save the file and exit Notepad.

8. Launch the Customization Wizard X and open the MSI in the AIP you had created. Do the necesary customizations and Save the Package and you should be good to go.

Hopefully this should fix things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 29, 2012 Jan 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It would seem that both commands work, but I would still prefer using the sfx switches for all future releases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines