• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Permanently display frequently used tools or customize main toolbar in Acrobat Reader DC?

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to permanently display drawing tools or other frequently used selections on the main tool bar in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC? I use drawing tools all the time to take notes on scientific papers and in previous versions of Adobe reader I could customize my toolbar to include my favorite tools in the default display. Now I have to search for drawing tools and launch a secondary toolbar for every PDF I open. I can't even keep the drawing tools displayed within the same session for multiple docs that are open at the same time. Surely there's a way to avoid this annoyance since it seems like such an obvious feature, but despite multiple attempts and online searches, I can't seem to find the solution. Help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Hi Liz,

Sorry for the delay in response.

As you are trying to add frequently used tools in the display along with the quick tools at the top, sorry to say it is not possible in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

By default, there is no option to customize quick tools. This option is only available in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.

Your other query is that when you open the PDF in the Full-screen mode and expand the comment, it closes comment window first and then the escape the full-screen mode.

This is an as designed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trepid_techie,

You may try enabling "show quick tools" by right-clicking on an empty toolbar and check if that helps. (below is the screenshot)

OR click small triangle in the right to bring up the tools pane, go to Edit menu > preferences > check the box next to "remember current state of tools pane"  > click OK

Thank You,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shivam,

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond with helpful information. Unfortunately this doesn't solve my problem.

I have already enabled quick tools and this works just as I'd like - these tools are always visible for easy access, including the highlighter, which is great. However I don't seem to be able to modify which tools are displayed in quick tools - if I could do this, it would solve the problem. There are other tools I want to add to this list.

I had already looked at all of the preference panels I could find and have "remember current state of tools pane" enabled in the document preferences, but this doesn't seem to make any difference. I cannot seem to leave the comment tools permanently expanded. Another bug related to this that I've just discovered is that if I try to view my PDF in full screen mode with the comment tools expanded, when I hit esc to escape the full screen mode the first thing that happens is that it actually closes the comment tools (escapes from the expanded view) and then I have to press esc a second time to exit full screen mode. What I am trying to do is toggle between a word doc where I am taking notes and my PDF of a scientific article, so then I have to expand the comment tools once again if I want to use them within the same session.

Any further suggestions? I appreciate your help. I read scientific articles in PDF form all the time so this would be a major life improvement if I am able to get Acrobat to cooperate.

Best,

Liz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Liz,

Sorry for the delay in response.

As you are trying to add frequently used tools in the display along with the quick tools at the top, sorry to say it is not possible in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

By default, there is no option to customize quick tools. This option is only available in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.

Your other query is that when you open the PDF in the Full-screen mode and expand the comment, it closes comment window first and then the escape the full-screen mode.

This is an as designed behavior. There is no option to change this behavior.

If you wish, you may suggest or give your feedback here Feature Request/Bug Report Form.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2023 Aug 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Foxit Reader and others are similar and you don't have to deal with Adobe's crazy lack of customization.  It's all driven to get you to pay a subscription, use a free Reader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines