• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PROBLEMS opening PDF in IE 9 or X

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2011 Apr 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can it be that Adobe releases a new version not able to open a PDF from a link?

ADOBE GET IT FIXED!!!!!!!

It can not be true that you have to change the settings in preferences before it works. How do I explain this to 1000 of  my costumers?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 11, 2011 Apr 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day,

Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 was released after development for Adobe Reader X was complete.  While we made every effort to anticipate the way the final release version of IE9 would behave, our PDF viewer plugin is not yet compatible with IE9.  This is being worked on by our engineering department.  In the interim, when trying to open a PDF file from the browser, save it locally to your computer and open it directly in Adobe Reader.

Moving forward, please continue to install updates to Adobe Reader X as they become available.  When this issue has been resolved, it will be pushed via an update.

Thank you,

David

Acrobat Community Manager

Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2011 Apr 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope it will be fixed shortely, but for now I prefer to install a previous version...

Adobe acrobat 8 has a problem with IE9 too, in spooling phase.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2011 Apr 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave_m_k wrote:

Good day,

Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 was released after development for Adobe Reader X was complete.  While we made every effort to anticipate the way the final release version of IE9 would behave, our PDF viewer plugin is not yet compatible with IE9.  This is being worked on by our engineering department.  In the interim, when trying to open a PDF file from the browser, save it locally to your computer and open it directly in Adobe Reader.

Hello David and thank you for that reply. This is all very well and good when pdf files can be saved to the desktop but I have a few where the last thing I click on in IE9 to get to the pdf is not a shortcut to the pdf itself but a radio button leading to another page (which then somehow pushes the pdf to me). If I right click on that final webpage 'confirm' radio button before the pdf opens in my browser (but cannot be worked with properly because the buttons don't work), I do not get the option to save the pdf as a file. There seems that in some cases saving the pdf to file just isn't an option...

How can I view such files in the interim until Adobe have this problem nailed - and when do you expect to release the patch for Reader X which addresses this? If you can't be specific is it days.... weeks or.... well you get the idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2012 Jan 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it's been a while since this post was posted but as I've found a way around this problem I thought I'd share it. If you download files using firefox instead of internet expolorer they download with no problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2011 Apr 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running XP  sp2/sp3 with IE8 and it doesn't work in that either. Contacted support ,moronic term, on 4/13 and they had no clue there was even a problem. Maybe someone in India could help??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2011 Apr 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have resolved my problem in an unexpected way:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404597.html

I think it may help you...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2011 May 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alas that solution doesn't work for me and I still have problems with Reader X under IE9 and Windows 7 SP1 (x64 now) set to 150% display settings. The toolbars won't work and it's just hopeless trying to do anything unless it can be opened in the standalone version of Reader X. Unfortunately not all websites make this easy as not all give the option of saving the pdf file to disk. I really hope a fix for this will be coming soon and I've applied to assist with the pre-release version coming up...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2011 Jun 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Win7 (32-bit), IE9 and ARX.  I cannot view PDFs on some websites.  I bank with two different banks, I can get my bank statement on one site but not the other site.  The suggestion of saving the PDF to my computer then opening locally doesn't work either.  It tells me pdf couldn't be downloaded.  This problem started sometime in the past 3 months, but I don't know the timeline of what programs were updated/installed.  About 5 or 6 weeks ago my browser was updated, but I don't know when Adobe Reader was last updated.  Before I found this thread, I uninstalled/reinstalled ARX thinking there was a problem with my version of it.  Has this incompatibility issue been fixed yet?  Is there something else I can try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2011 Jun 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are getting a message such as this, I suspect that's down to the server at the other end. At least you can right click and attempt to save to disk - many of the pdf files I'm thinking of, don't give that option because there's a button to open them. They do open in ARX within IE9 but because none of the menu or toolbar options work, I can't then save the pdf to open it in stand-alone ARX.

I've chased up my application to assist with pre-release testing but was advised they may or may not choose me to help. I guess they must have a huge workload to make it compatible with IE9 on Win 7 with displays set to other than 100% and still be working on getting a pre-release ready....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2011 Aug 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem has been out there for 5 months now.  I get an update from Adobe everytime I turn around, but IE9 still crashes on downloading PDF's.  When are

you guys going to get this fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2012 Jul 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have a problem with IE9 opening pdf files. IE9 stops working and I'm not given the option to save the file. This is a very serious issue for some of us (as we transact business and send/receive many documents as pdf).  What are your customers supposed to do until this issue is resolved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to install Google Chrome to read & save pdf files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google Chrome is the answer.  I actually use it all the time now, in my opinion it's much better than IE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2013 Jan 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here it is 2013.....................still not fixed!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2013 Jan 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same goes for any sign of Reader X toolbars or buttons working with a 150% Windows 7 Display setting under Internet Explorer. After I visited their UK HQ some time ago with paper print outs detailing the problem, Adobe kindly fixed this issue with 125% but alas the same problem with the 150% setting seems to have been ignored so the issue is only half addressed.

Maybe it's time for me to pop in and pay Adobe another visit when I'm next in Maidenhead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2011 Jul 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have learned that by downloading Chrome, you can open PDF files. For the time being I'm using it as a work-around, but I do hope that the problem with Internet Explorer is worked out.l

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 20, 2011 Jul 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, just switching a browser is a good idea that works. Google Chrome is far better than IE in my opinion anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2011 Aug 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easy for you to say, but if .NET business software requires IE we have no choice in the matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2011 Sep 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Adobe released AR version 10.1.1 on 13 Sep and the release notes say:

Added support for:

• Microsoft Windows 7 or Windows 7 SP1 Starter, Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise (32 bit and 64 bit)

• Viewing PDFs in Firefox 4 on Windows (not Mac)

• WebCapture with Firefox 4 and IE 9 on Win and Mac

• Mac OS 10.6.7

• IE 9 is fully supported.

So I duly updated and expected the IE9 and ARX incompatibility problem to be solved.  But alas I still cannot view or download PDF statements from my credit card company. When I click on the PDF link absolutely nothing happens.  So I have no idea what the problem is now!  I am using Win 7, IE9 (32bit) and AR 10.1.1  Does anyone have an idea on what the problem could be? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2011 Sep 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try going into the Advanced settings under Internet Options.  Under the <Browsing> section make sure the box "Use 3rd rty Browser Extensions" is checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2011 Sep 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, in my case the "Enable third-party browser extensions" box is checked.  Any more ideas appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi lion rock,

The problem with not being able to save your credit card statements could be your credit card company not Adobe. I use MBNA and whilst you can load a PDF statement and print it you can't save it. I spoke to them re this and it's the way they've set it up and not the fault of Adobe. Hence I reverted back to paper statements as the idea of going paperless was to be paperless.

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2012 Jul 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks welshaddict,

I reverted to paper statements too after trying to get my credit card company (Amex) to change the way they load their pdf statements without any success or even response.  However I then found a solution that worked for me - see post No.16.    

I hope Adobe have this problem sorted for IE10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deploy PDF files for my Blackboard coursework and discovered that I can open them in 32 bit versions of IE8 or IE9, under the Windows 7, 64 bit OS.. I am unable to open the Blackboard PDF files under IE9 64 bit,  unless they are saved under the "Open in New Window" Blackboard option. So for now I am exclusively using the 32 bit version of IE9. I suspect this anomaly may manifest itself across various other applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines