• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reader 9.2 - AdobeARM - Purpose?

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2009 Nov 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For security reasons, I am updating Adobe Reader within our corporate environment from 9.1.3 to 9.2.  I noticed that a new executable is launched at startup called AdobeARM.EXE.  What is the purpose of this?  Is it safe to disable?

We restrict user rights - so if this is some sort of updater service, we cannot have it checking Adobe for updated versions, as the users will not be able to install.  We test all updates internally before deploying them to our users.

TOPICS
Download and install

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2009 Nov 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So no one knows?  And no one from Adobe can say?  Really?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can contact Adobe. This is a user to user forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And where might I find their enterprise support contact information?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Outstanding.  So, my original request for information remains open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think an ARM is the processor used in most mobile phones (iphone and G1) - so this is probably something to do with enhancing the experience on mobiles.

If you are using AutoStarts you could always disable it and then reenable it if you have any problems with adobe products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ARM is a processor, yes - but why would Adobe need to start this process on x86 processors, at startup, for every user?  That doesn't seem to make sense to me.

I stumbled my way through their support area and submitted a question, which will hopefully get to someone who knows on the Adobe-side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only reason I can think of is if you are developing websites/flash animations which you wish to distribute to a mobile device.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - but if you're developing ... you aren't using Reader.  And every user on the planet wouldn't require this feature, so starting this process at startup for every user just doesn't make sense.

Any other guesses?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well am sure mobile devices are capable of reading .pdf files, so am sure it still to do with publishing adobe files.

And who to say that AdobeARM doesnt get installed with the latest installations of dreamweaver, flash etc anyway. its only cause you have downloaded a later version of this you actually noticed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should switch to FoxIt PDF Reader.  You wouldn't have to worry about anything then.  It is not a bloated reader.....

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My original question is still unanswered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just called.  They do not support Reader, as Reader is a free product.  They pointed me to the knowledge base, which has NO information about AdobeARM; or these forums, where no one seems to know what this process is for, either.

I'm at the point where I feel disabling this from executing on startup is the most viable option, as I don't want some rogue process phoning home and causing pain for my user base.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AdobeARM.exe is a part of new Adobe Acrobat\Reader updater.

If you manage updates yourself, it is absolutely safe to remove it from Run registry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

I don't know why Adobe, in their right minds, thinks the corporate/enterprise customer could/would possibly want their software updating itself.  Sounds like a help desk nightmare.

I've axed this from the registry - along with the other tweaks I implement via the Adobe transformer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention that the right way to disable automatic updates in enterprise environment is to set bUpdater DWORD value to 0 in Registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\9.0\FeatureLockdown

for Reader 9x

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\9.0\FeatureLockdown

for Acrobat 9x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the explanation; I also needed to know this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2009 Dec 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question: What is AdobeARM.exe

Answer: Adobe Reader Manager

It appears to be a update/download manager for adobe reader 9.2 and launches at windows startup via the following registry entry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"Adobe ARM"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Adobe\\ARM\\1.0\\AdobeARM.exe\""

To prevent it from starting at windows startup you can safely delete this entry from the registry. If you change your mind and want it to startup again at windows startup just add the entry back to the registry. To easily add it back you can copy the registry entry above and paste it into notepad then save it as whatever.reg, next double click whatever.reg and you will get asked if you want to add this entry to the registry, click yes obviously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2010 May 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I just called.  They do not support Reader, as Reader is a free product"(what MORONS you are Adobe)

that is such a pathetic answer.Excuse me adobe it is YOU who put the software out.That bloody adobearm disabled my network connection.I am wondering why no one else has said anything about it.My first thought was to see what was running in the task manager and sure enough,there it was so i disabled it then deleted the file and also disabled it in msconfig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2010 May 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI - In addition to removing this from the registry, I found that you also need to do the following:

End Task on AdobeArm.

Delete the three programs in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\ directory - AcrobatUpdater, AdobeARM & ReaderUpdater (I am now deleting the entire Adobe\Arm\1.0 directory instead of just the three files) .

Last - Delete the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run “Adobe ARM” entry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2010 May 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got some email from this bloody forum.I hope i have blocked it now.And for peoples info either deleting the info from the registry OR deleting the files is ok.Why Adobe can't reply is so pathetic.!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2010 May 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

STOP SPAMMING ME.!!

I DIDN'T post this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2010 May 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i got an email from adobe with a false reply to (clearspace-315423063-666119-2-2814156@mail.forums.adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines