Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spaces in URLs problem w/ new Reader X and XI updates

Jan 11, 2013 Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone else confirm that with the new Reader X and XI updates, spaces in URLs get encoded as %2520 instead of %20 causing errors when the links are followed?  This  was/is not a problem with the earlier version of X nor with other pdf viewers.  I believe that this is a bug.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 13, 2013 Jan 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please let me know the following details:

1. Your OS that you are working on.

2. The exact version of Adobe Reader on your system. You can get the same by clicking on Help > About Adobe Reader.

3. How exactly are the PDFs created. Were they created using the Acrobat PDFMaker or using the Adobe PDF Printer or any other 3rd party software.

4. Would it be possible for you to share any such PDF with us containing any dummy link which would exhibit this kind of problem.

Thanks

Ankit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 14, 2013 Jan 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ankit:

1) I am using Windows 7 Professional

2) I have downgraded to 10.1.4 and experience no problems. I have this

issue with 10.1.5 AND 11.0.1.

3) The pdfs are made using the Save as ... PDF or XPS in Microsoft Excel

2007 SP3

4) A dummy file can be downloaded from: http://ge.tt/4S72HPV/v/0

Mb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for the information. This will help investigate the behavior at our end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm this behaviour.  I have just created a PDF containing a link with a blank character in it (using Acrobat 11.0.1 Pro).  When clicking that link in Reader 11.0.1 the %20 is transformed into %2520.

Attached: test PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 15, 2013 Jan 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is a problem! My symptoms are virtually the same as described above. I isolated it down to an Adobe Reader issue by trying multiple browsers and multiple hyperlinks... same problem. I tried a different reader (Foxit, free download) and the links finally worked.

Please fix quickly, thanks:-) I have customers who pay for access to my links online, and they are not all very computer savvy. To some of them it's an adventure to get on my website and download files at all! To ask them to download another reader, install it, and then change settings on it so that they can finally open the files they're paying for is a bit much and may scare them off. Plus it would mean directing people to a competing product... I'm not saying I want to do that, but this is an urgent problem for folks like me.

Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2013 Jan 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue and have about 100 users affected by it. Is there any update about a fix or workaround? Currently we are telling users to switch to FoxIt PDF reader as a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2013 Jan 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ankit,

Is this related to the error where the pdf when using formsubmit to submit fdf data to a server, gives a HTTP 400 error. Seems like junk characters are getting added to the end of the Referer URL from the IE Adobe plugin after the latest update 11.0.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 23, 2013 Jan 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eliasct,

Would it be possible for you to share the refferer URL being accessed when you receive the Error 400 for the Form Submit action being carried out at your end. It would help in seeing if this is the same issue as being discussed in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2013 Jan 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ankit,

You can find more details at this post.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5010520#5010520

The special characters I cannot copy into this forum, but if you need to I can send screenshot and such.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2013 Feb 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the same problem.  We use Adobe LiveCycle form server to generate fillable forms.  We have 7,000 users who use Adobe Reader and IE 8 to fill out forms.  After filling out the form they press a 'Submit' button on the form to submit the data back to our server.

The referrer URL is corrupted and we get error 400 when submitting the form updates back to our server.

Error occurs with Adobe Reader 9.5.3, 10.1.5, or 11.0.1 with IE 8 or IE 9.  Error does not occur with Firefox.

No errors if we roll back to 9.5.2, 10.1.4, or 11.0.0 it works fine. 

We also have the problem with Adobe Acrobat 9.5.2 and 10.1.4.

Example of corrupted referer URL in the URL posted to our server:

https://w.x.y.z/ccsas-icmrm/icmrm/ICMResourceManager/CSEDocument.PDF?order=retrieve&item-id=A100100&... b\x3

The portion at the end of the referer URL (0;&y_\xe\x8 b\x3) is not there with earlier versions of Adobe Reader.

We have had to roll back Adobe Reader updates on 100's of PCs and have told all of our users not to upgrade until further notice.

Thanks,

Alan Mayer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2013 Feb 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alan,

Did you find any solution for this?

We have tested this in latest  Adobe reader 11.0.02 and 10.1.6 , Unfortunately the problem still exists. Looks like Adobe is ignoring this issue.

Thanks,

Raju

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2013 Mar 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All, has anyone made any headway with Adobe on this issue

After repeated attempts, I am still unable to garner support from them on this, but it is clearly outstanding

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 31, 2013 Jan 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

got same problem here:

Windows 7 Professional x64 and Windows XP Professional x86

IE 8/IE9

Adobe Reader XI 11.0.1 and 10.1.5

pdfs are made by using the Save as function in Microsoft Office and also tried with Adobe 9 Pro.

Problem ist still existing. please fix it as soon as possible

Regards,

SwitchView

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2013 Jan 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just encountered this issue today. I send out .fdf files as attachments to e-mails. When someone using Outlook attempts to open the fdf file straight from Outlook, it opens it from "C:\....\Temporary Internet Files\...". Adobe then dutifully converts the spaces in the "URL" to %2520, which of course results in a Not Found error on whatever browser tries to open the resulting URL. I've tried googling solutions,but all I've found is to either tell the person to save the fdf file into a path on their computer that contains no spaces, or forums where people say "why would you use spaces in a URL"..to which i say, "I'm not, Microsoft is". As you can see from this example, sometimes it's unavoidable. Adobe, please fix this. Stop double encoding spaces.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2013 Jan 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, the problem is easy to duplicate. Just copy any valid FDF file into a folder on your desktop titled "This Will Not Work Because This Folder Name Contains Spaces". Then open the FDF file. You'll get the Not Found page from your browser, and note the load of %2520 in the URL:

file:///C:/Users/imacgregor/Desktop/This%2520Will%2520Not%2520Work%2520Because%2520This%2520Folder%2520Name%2520Contains%2520Spaces/application.fdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2013 Feb 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news on this?  This is also a problem on our installations - all spaces in URLs are being double-encoded, resulting in %2520's in the link instead of %20's, and a 404 not found.  (XP SP3, Reader 10.1.5).  I guess this might be fixed in 10.1.6, but when will this be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2013 Feb 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the same problem.  My OS is Windows 7 enterprise, Service Pack 1.  Problem occurs with Adobe Reader X, version 10.1.5. I created the PDF using Adobe Acrobat X Pro Version 10.1.5.  I can open the link on the fillable form using Acrobat Pro just fine, but get the HTTP 400 Bad Request error Request error when I try to open the link with Reader.  After reading the previous comments, I checked, and sure enough, the address has a blank, and %2520 was inserted.  If I go to the link and delete the 25, it opens fine. I can't ask our staff that only have Reader to delete teh 25, as most of them would not have a clue. When I changed the link on the form to go to amazon.com, it works just fine!

I would like to know when to expect the problem to be fixed as we don't really want to download new, untested software so the link works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 14, 2013 Feb 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the same problem and we have the stupid push sending the same version of Adobe regardless if we uninstall and install and old version.

This has been going on for a long time - when will it be fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 14, 2013 Feb 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, this is an Adobe Reader problem.  I have tested the problem with 2 other PDF readers against the same links and the problem does not occur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2013 Feb 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also facing this issue. When this issue will be corrected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2013 Feb 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update in regards to this Issue?

After contacting your support phoneline I was told I had to pay for a support agreement for you to address it.

I then called your sales team, who was unaware of how to sell me this support agreement.

This needs to be corrected as soon as possible, and has drastically impacted users of our application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2013 Feb 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does no longer seem to happen with Reader 11.0.2 - the link in my test document opens fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem with Adobe Reader XI, links space are %2520 and so i have an error. If i try with Foxit reader i don't have error

(sorry for my english, i'm belgian)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have confirmed with multiple users (and internally) that 11.0.02 did not resolve the issue unfortunatly.

If the document is/was made on the 11.0.1/11.0.2 release it works, but nothing prior does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines