• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The "find" feature is not working - why?

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2016 Sep 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a subscription version. When I click on the magnifying glass and type the word I am looking at, it does not display any results. How do I get this to work?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 16, 2016 Sep 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi lisaf19981839,

Could you please let us the version of Adobe Reader installed on the computer?

Which operating system do you have- Windows/Mac?

Is this happening with a single file or with all the files?

You don't need a subscription to find text in a pdf.

Try with another file and see if you are getting the search results when using Find text feature.

Also, visit the following links which discusses the same issue:

Find doesn't get any results in Reader X

Text search stopped working in Adobe Reader X

Ctrl F does not find words, but OCR works and can select text

Let us know about the results.

Thank You,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2016 Sep 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just downloaded the latest version a few days ago. This is the first time I've had "Adobe Acrobat Reader DC".I use Windows 10, which has the current updates.This happens to all files. I changed my default open all PDF with Adobe instead of Edge.

I'm wanting this "find" feature to work so I can use it for studying. I'm a college student.

Lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 28, 2016 Sep 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi lisaf19981839

Try removing Reader DC using Cleaner tool found here: Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs,  restart the computer and then reinstall Reader DC from here: Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution  (choose your operating system, language, and version accordingly) 

Let me know it it worked.

Thank You,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2016 Oct 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you use the select tool to select text in the document?

If not, that means the documents are scans and contain no live text to search for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works when it wants to. One day I open a document it works.  I open the same document another day and it doesn't work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do all of the files come from the same place (your school...etc)? Can you provide a link to one of the documents? They "should" work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bring up the pdf's from the online class, from the settings in Edge I select print, change to save as pdf's. Then from file Explorer I right click and select open with Adobe.Again,  some days it works. I use the find feature in the pdf's when I open with Edge. Same issue here. Some times the find feature works, some days it doesn't. 

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. That's a different way to do things. But it may also be the problem.

Don't open the file in Edge (it uses it's own browser). Right-click the link to the pdf, choose to save it to your computer. Open Adobe Reader (not IE) then use File>Open to open the pdf file. See if that clears things up. I suspect Edge is doing something to the files when you use it to save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It occurs randomly with Edge and Adobe. I'm not concerned about Edge.It is saved in my One Drive on my computer. I go to File Explorer, find the file, right click and have it open with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lisaf19981839 wrote:

It is saved in my One Drive on my computer.

But how is it getting there? Are you saving it there off of a website by opening it in a browser first?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went via IE, open the link in the class, saved to my desktop as a pdf. Opened with Adobe no issue with find option.But then I decided to open the link in the class, saved as a pdf. Opened with Adobe no issues.So I give up. Today it works. But neither might work tomorrow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If it works sometimes then not others, using the exact same file and the exact same machine, you may want to be absolutely sure that the file is indeed being opened in Adobe Acrobat Reader. To be sure, open Reader, navigate to the file and open it that way. This assures Edge or some other third party pdf reader isn't being used.

If you do that and still have the same issues, it would be good if you can give us a link to one of these problems files so we can take a deeper look at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines