• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to add Comment and Markup Toolbar

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2008 Dec 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am the author of a PDF document that I have opened in Adobe Reader 9. I am trying to make a Captivate demo movie on how to annotate a PDF using Reader 9, but the Comment toolbar won't come up. I keep checking it, but the toolbar just won't appear. I viewed my Security settings, but it looks like commenting isn't allowed. How do I change this? All that Adobe has is instructions for Reader 8, but those are outdated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2008 Dec 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to enable commenting in Reader from Acrobat. Ordinarily Reader
cannot make comments in pdfs without special permission.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2008 Dec 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar issue: I've sent a PDF to someone for review (PDF created with Acrobat 7.0 Professional), and the reviewer using Reader 9 does not get his commenting toolbar enabled. I've even tried making a copy of the PDF, manually enabling commenting, and sending it to him normally. Still, in his Reader 9 he has no access to the commenting tools. Is this a known issue between 7 Pro and Reader 9? --Dave M.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mike! DA, Mike is absolutely right. As the author, you have to enable commenting and marking up in the PDF before you send it. Then, he'll either see the toolbar, or be able to enable it (not sure which).
But it absolutely has to be done from the Acrobat Pro side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daphne. I was aware of that, but we still have the problem. If you send the PDF using the review routine, that should enable the commenting tools on the receivers end. An alternative is to manually enable the commenting tools without using the review routine. Our problem here is that I've tried both of these methods and my reviewer (using Reader 9) still does not get his commenting tools enabled when he receives the PDF. Even more odd is that if I check the security settings on the PDF he's received, it say commenting is enabled. But the commenting tools still are not available. I understand this is very anomalous behavior, we just haven't figured out why he's having the problem, or how to get his commenting function to work as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2009 Jul 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DA,

Did you get this problem resolved?  If so how - I am having the same trouble.  I am the receiveer using Acrobat reader 9 and cannot see comment/markup tool bar on an emabled file, so cannot make changes....

any help would be appreciated,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2009 Jul 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Western. I answered you elsewhere as well.

You won't have those tools in the free Reader application unless the file has been specially enabled using Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is weird DA.

They don't even have a commenting selection in the top menu?

Could you possibly post a link to a sample PDF that doesn't work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2009 Sep 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Professional 7, and I also use AutoCAD R2010.  When I create PDFs in either system, others have always been able to markup and add comments to them.  Now that they are using Adobe Reader 9, they can no longer make comments or markups.  The Tried opening the same document up in both an order reader and a the new Adobe 9 reader.  It seems to be a problem with Adobe Reader 9.  For some reason it is setting these PDFs I created using the order system as commenting not allowed.  It been allowed when i created it, and it been allowed under the older versions.  Is there a fix for this, or am I going to have to tell everyone I work with to unstall the Adobe Reader 9?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Acrobat enable commenting in Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ahve enabled commenting.  There is no commenting in reader option in my version of Acrobat.  PDFs that I create, a person is able to comment on in older versions of the Adobe Reader.  This seems to be an issue with Adobe Reader 9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 23, 2009 Sep 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The default for the Commenting toolbar is set to ‘off’ in version 9. To change this setting select ‘Edit | Preferences’, then ‘Documents’ (at left under ‘Categories’), then select the option ‘Never’ for ‘PDF/A View Mode’

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2009 Sep 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF/A documents doesn't allow commenting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2009 Oct 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there is something more going on here.

I'm having the same sort of problem.

A pdf file was sent from the creator/author to someone else.

They (the receiver) made comments and sent it to me.

But I can't comment (comments not allowed)

Now how does that happen?

I using Reader 9.  I think the first receiver was using Acrobat.

The orignal creator probably Reader 9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2009 Oct 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The orignal creator probably Reader 9.

No, Adobe Reader can't create PDF documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2009 Oct 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Yes, what I assuming that security properties could have been orginally set in Reader 9 by the originator, on pdf with no security; but of course this  can't be done.)

Nevertheless I think I have it figured out...

1) the app by default generates pdfs with

"no security"

"comments: not allowed"

(e.g., these are the MS Word defaults)

2) "no security" means Acrobat can add comments

3) "comments: not allowed" means Reader can't.

Is that is?

I know, rtfm.  I have no doubt it is behaving as documented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2011 Aug 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I've been trying to add the comment and markup toolbar in acrobat reader 9 but I simply cant do it. I've tried both the tools and view menus but i cannot add this particular toolbar. Does anyone know the reason? What can i do to get this toolbar? Even when in a pdf document commenting is not allowed, shouldnt I be able at least to see the toolbar unavailable?

Many thanks

Enrique

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2011 Aug 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, the toolbar only becomes visible when the file is enabled for commenting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines