Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Uninstall Acrobat Reader DC from a Mac

Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE ADVISE ME HOW TO Uninstall Acrobat Reader DC from a Mac ?

It seems that NO one knows !

Urgent PLEASE

THANKS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Solution 1:

Uninstalling Adobe Reader from Mac OSX completely!

Solution 2:

We're sorry for the trouble you had during the installation of Adobe Reader; please reboot the machine once and remove Adobe Reader from the application by running the uninstaller of Adobe Reader.

Look in the System and User libraries and remove Adobe Reader folders only. Remove any installation files from trash and other location for Adobe Reader.

Remove the Adobe Reader icon from the dock and then reboot the machine

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No !

To drag it to the trash is not enough .

There is a cleaner tool somewhere

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution 1:

Uninstalling Adobe Reader from Mac OSX completely!

Solution 2:

We're sorry for the trouble you had during the installation of Adobe Reader; please reboot the machine once and remove Adobe Reader from the application by running the uninstaller of Adobe Reader.

Look in the System and User libraries and remove Adobe Reader folders only. Remove any installation files from trash and other location for Adobe Reader.

Remove the Adobe Reader icon from the dock and then reboot the machine.

Once you have removed all the installation files and the Adobe Reader application, open Activity Monitor and close all Adobe-related processes.

Reboot the machine again and install Adobe Reader from Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution

What is the version of Mac OS installed?

Let us know how it goes and share your observation.

Solution 3:

Did the following:

• uninstalled Adobe PRO DC CC from the CC apps manager.
  • then ran the Adobe Cleanup tool (although it explicitly mentions you should NOT use it with CC versions of Acrobat). It clearly finds some fragment of Acrobat somewhere
  • the installed Adobe PRO DC CC with the CC apps manager
  • Did that all a week ago and since it Acrobat works fine (again)

Solution 4:

Refer to the steps given in the following links:

Uninstall Acrobat Reader DC from a Mac

I desperately need to UNINSTALL adobe reader XI from my Mac OSX, does anyone know how?

Let us know if you have further questions.

Solution 5:

I'm so glad your wrote to me...  I didn't save the URL, just the zip file to my desktop; however I requested my transcript and just received it via eMail, fortunately it had the link!  I went to Adobe Labs and found a warning about this cleaner, it reads as follows:

This download provides the Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool for Windows.

IMPORTANT: THIS TOOL IS NOT FOR USE WITH ANY CREATIVE SUITE PRODUCTS INCLUDING SUITES THAT CONTAIN A...

AcroCleaner for 10.x and later

http://labsdownload.adobe.com/pub/labs/acrobat_ittools/acrobat_ittools_cleaner_p2_061713.zip

It is very different for MAC:

"There is no uninstaller for Reader XI in Mac. You can directly delete the application from Applications folder, that is just trash /Applications/Adobe Reader.app. Also this may cause a break in Safari functionality to read PDF files using Adobe Reader plugin. To resolve this, go to /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/  and remove AdobePDFViewer.plugin and AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin" by KARAN MALIK

Solution 6:

If Adobe Acrobat Reader DC shows there, try to quit the process.

Then try to install application from here: Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU VERY MUCH SIR !

Very appreciated .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not convinced the article 'Uninstalling Adobe Reader from Mac OSX completely!' removes all files from the DC version, and is silent on the point. Adobe allegedly has an uninstaller for Reader DC (as opposed to the non-DC version), although I can't find it. Here are Adobe's DC uninstall instructions, at Troubleshoot issues with updating Acrobat or Reader on Mac OS :

• Choose Applications > Adobe Acrobat DC, select the Acrobat DC Uninstaller, and double-click it.

They fail to specify where you select the uninstaller. The Help menu perhaps? Nope. Preferences? Any other menu? Nope. A mystery.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct, the method presented does not remove all traces of Adobe Reader from your system, but it removes everything that interferes with displaying PDF files in Preview.app in Safari.

There is no uninstaller for Adobe Reader, not for Reader XI (or older) or Reader DC. There is nothing on the page you've linked to that would indicate otherwise. The section you quoted is about uninstalling Adobe Acrobat DC Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So basically we still don't know.

What a terrible company, just saying..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, we do know: Late last year Adobe finally released the Cleaner tool for the Mac as well: Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, good find. I wish that tool had come up when I searched Adobes website for "how to uninstall Reader DC on Mac".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nonsense answer. Everyone knows that the way to uninstall an application from a Mac is to move it to the trash. But the question is obviously how to uninstall DC and everything it installs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2019 Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Applications there was no line offering Adobe Reader DC uninstaller. Just the Adobe Reader DC.  I have dragged  it to Trash and emptied trash. The Adobe icon has disappeared from my Applications in Finder.  I wonder what happens to the files Adobe DC labeled with their icon, which I had thought were just held in Microsoft Word. Some of them were hijacked into this Adobe recently, even though I had created them in Word TEN YEARS AGO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like there is no uninstaller for Reader in Mac. By deleting the application from the Applications folder and moving to Trash will be able to uninstall Reader. It looks like a different case with Acrobat Reader, which I can find the uninstaller in Applications > Adobe Acrobat X Pro > Acrobat X Uninstaller:

acrobat x uninstaller.png

In most cases, after uninstalling a program on macOS, the Default Open App config will be removed as well. If you still see Reader labeled icons, it means you need extra steps to get rid of the Reader app completely (usually by digging into file directories:)

• ~Library > Application Support
  • ~Library > Caches
  • ~Library > Logs
  • ~Library > Preferences
  • ~Library > Containers
  • ~Library > Cookies

If you have no ideas what's to do next, refer this specific guide .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for a good procedural. It starts with the Adobe Acrobat DC, it
progresses to other names Adobe items, and I can’t tell if any of them are
objectionable. The DC program took possession of files I created in Word,
saved them in Adobe DC and wouldn’t let me retain them on Word or transfer
them into plain Word.

I have deleted the DC part and tried the Uninstaller but my computer
declared there was no such app. There is as no Uninstaller offering though
alongside the AA DC listing in Applications. Peculiarities.

I have been able to open files bearing the Adobe logo and they are not
lost, gone or unavailable- my main fear in removing the DC part. Not yet
taken the time to figure if these are locked into AA Though. Some are files
I made in Word ten years ago and only allowed the DC. ‘Upgrade’ or ‘update’
offered by Adobe this Fall 2019. Puzzling.

I still wonder if I trace, in all the odd spots you list in Library where
AADC might remain and delete them, will it also wreck the files of my work
that I might need?
Thank you,
I will look again into what is going on with this on my Mac.

--
Lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was helping someone who really just needed to force quit the app so it was "removable" - I had them reboot, said the app was still running - couldn't force quit.  Forced the machine down, it came right back up running acrobat - but then was able to force quit the app so it could be deleted any of the normal ways. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - I could uninstall it, but what will happen to my files that are
now locked in Adobe Reader DC? Will I have acces to them? Will they revert
to the Microsoft Word in which I created and stored them?
Lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to lean how to uninstall Reader. You need to learn why these Word files have changed icon. Have ALL word files changed icon, or some? When did they last open in Word? Can you start Word and read them from the File menu. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I'm trying to install Adobe Acrobat READER, which I downloaded here:

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Install for all versions

on a Mac Mini, which once had Adobe Creative Cloud Photographer on it. It's running the latest Mac OS.

I keep getting the error when running the install package:

"Found a higher version Adobe Acrobat Reader in the installation location. Installation will terminate"

background:

- before I tried any of this, I had uninstalled ACC from this system. I'm using that software on a newer/better system now.

- I may have screwed up the uninstall processes at some point by removing software from the application folder, but after realizing that ACC was still running I ran the uninstaller.

- when encountering this problem, I went through the system folders and tried to remove any lingering Adobe folders or preferences.

- I've also tried REINSTALLING the ACC + Lr CC, tried running the acrobat installer, then tried UNinstalling the ACC + Lr CC, no luck.

Chat support with Adobe tried all the usual steps that don't actually work - first they sent me to a shady adware site to download Adobe Reader (?), then when I called them on that, they said to try a different browser with cookies cleared, etc., which I did to humor them - same result. Then they sent me here.Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 9.28.36 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone help with this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Gary,

We're sorry for the trouble you had during the installation of Adobe Reader, please reboot the machine once and remove Adobe Reader from the application by running the uninstaller of Adobe Reader.

Look in System library and User library and remove Adobe Reader folders only. Remove any installation files from trash and other location for Adobe Reader.

Once you have removed all the installation files and the application that is Adobe Reader, open Activity monitor and close all process related to Adobe.

Reboot the machine again and install Adobe Reader from Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anandsri said:

Look in System library and User library and remove Adobe Reader folders only. Remove any installation files from trash and other location for Adobe Reader.

- did a general search “This Mac” and removed every folder found in a search on “adobe,” leaving only document types such as png, PDF, Word documents with adobe in them (which are a few since I do some work for an agency that works with Magento, an Adobe company…), etc. (note to others: this would have trashed things if I still had any other Adobe products that I wanted to keep, which I didn't on this particular machine at this time.)

- emptied trash again

- no Adobe Reader icon in dock, rebooted again

Once you have removed all the installation files and the application that is Adobe Reader, open Activity monitor and close all process related to Adobe.

See screen shot; no processes found after the steps above. repeated this on all tabs in the activity monitor that could possibly be relevant (and some that weren't)

Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 9.07.14 AM.png

Rebooted again for no good reason. 🙂

Reboot the machine again and install Adobe Reader from Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution

I actually got it from https://get.adobe.com/reader/

Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 9.08.28 AM.png

(don't laugh - this is my desktop mule I keep at my desk at Regus in case I leave my Macbook at home)

THIS IS THE EXCITING PART

Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 9.19.39 AM.png

IT'S THE SUSPENSE THAT KILLS YOU

Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 9.19.54 AM.png

TEARS OF JOY STREAMING DOWN MY FACE I CAN'T EVEN

Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 9.20.26 AM.png

If I ever have another child*, I will name them AnandSri.

Moral of the story: when you think you've removed every Adobe file ever installed on your Mac, ever: you haven't.

*which I won't, sorry. But I'm trying to convey a sentiment...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I just installed yesterday 2017-01-23 Acrobat Reader DC on my MacBook Pro (mac OS 10.12 Siera). I did so because it was required in the process of sending a recommandation letter to the Houston University Law School (Law school Admission Council, Newtown, Pa 18940). It was needed for reviewing the "as-uploaded" recommandation letter and then authenticating it. Without Adobe Acrobat connected to my browser (Chrome was specified, I first used Chrome and concluded with my regular browser Safari), I was prevented from authenticating, hence prevented from issuing the recommendation later. Now that I succeeded in issuing the recommendation letter, I want to uninstall Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, no longer needed, from my mac.

Acrobat Reader DC for mac

Architecture: x86_64

Build: 15.23.20053.211670

AGM: 4.30.67

CoolType: 5.14.5

JP2K: 1.2.2.37658

On my mac and on the Adobe website, I find no trace whatsoever of any uninstaller. On this forum where I have been routed after asking for advice in the Acrobat application menu > "Help", I saw a reply for Windows installs and saw an earlier similar question from a mac user, unanswered (the unsatisfactory recommendation was simply to discard the Acrobat Reader folder from the application folder).

So I ask this question. Does anyone on this forum know how to uninstall Adobe Acrobat Reader DC from my mac ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to the magnifying glass at the top right and searched "downloads". From there, I dragged all downloaded files labeled "adobe acrobat" to the trash bin at the bottom of my screen. Restarted the .pdf I tried to view and it appeared in the old format, showing me that adobe acrobat pro was successfully deleted from my mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh that's not good. Still leaves system components like browser plugins in place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines