• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Update Reader 11.0.23 to "what"? And how?

Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 32-bit on legacy laptop.

Basically happy with Reader 11.0.23 and have no need to upgrade to anything.  But, as this version is no longer supported, if I upgrade, which Reader version is the least demanding (smallest footprint and memory use) and most similar to 11.0.23?  Best update version for someone not looking for more features?!  And should I install "over" or 1st remove the old version before installing the new one?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 29, 2018 Apr 29, 2018

Upshot:  After trying Reader 2017 and Reader DC (both current) I decided to revert to Reader 11.0.23 .. even though Reader XI is no longer supported by Adobe.

Why?  Because 11.0.23 (imho) has a superior UI, is doing what I want it to do and it can easily be configured w/o the Tools and Sign buttons in the tool bar!  And the "upsell" cloud service pressure introduced in Reader DC (continuous track) and to a lesser extent in Reader 2017 (classic track) is just too much for my taste.

So, why spend ti

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as Reader 11 replaced Reader 10, Reader DC replaced Reader 11. There is no choice of product based on footprint, features etc. There is a choice of continuous (auto update, recommended) and classic (update on demand, features come more slowly, recommended only for enterprises doing centralised deployment).

You can think of it as Reader 15, Reader 17, now Reader 18, except that these are all the same product and updates run continuously through them.

Reader DC will, by default, uninstall Reader 11 on Windows.
Be aware that the app is completely redesigned; budget for time relearning it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I typically prefer to be 1-2 versions (supported) behind the current one.  If I install Reader 15 or 17 Classic, would that be a feasible way to go?  I think both these versions are still supported.  I do not need any Cloud services.  Less is more in my case!

I have downloaded AcroRdrDC1801120035 (120+ MB) for offline installation.  Does this package include the Asian & Extended Font Packs or do I need to download them separately as I did for Reader XI?  Hard to believe I need 120+ MB just to open a few PDFs...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CBA,

As you are installing Adobe Acrobat Reader DC latest version, you will need to install the font pack for this as well.

You can the font pack either from here Adobe - Adobe Reader : For Windows or from this link Adobe - Adobe Reader : For Windows : Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Font Pack (Continuous) : Thank You

Hope the information helps.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  But, actually, I'm not installing the latest DC version now.  As I mentioned in my above comments I like to stay 1-2 versions (supported) behind the current one.  The "latest and greatest" ain't always the way to go, in my experience.

So, I installed (for trial purposes) Adobe Reader 2017.  The base .exe installer plus the latest .msp update.  It will take some time to tweak the new UI.

In this respect I have one question:  As I prefer to have a clean UI when I start the Reader, I changed AcroApp to AcroApp-X (located in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat Reader 2017\Reader\).  Pretty drastic, but it seems to do what I want.  Any comments on your side?

CBA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a postscript of sorts, let me add this:

Am I right in assuming that all Reader DC versions are now "Continuous" track and to stay on a "Classic" track I have to use the Reader 2017 .. which I just installed for trial?  At least, that's the upshot of this link (imo):

Document Cloud Product Tracks — Enterprise Administration Guide

Am I right in assuming that the current Reader DC has a similar UI as Reader 2017, albeit with fewer controls on the toolbar?  Other postings in this forum indicate that the UI on Reader 2017 is closer to Reader 11.0.23 (which is my favorite) than that of Reader DC.   Is this correct?

Generally speaking, imo, upgrading to Reader 2017 is a downgrade from Reader 11.0.23 seen from a UI perspective.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Am I right in assuming that the current Reader DC has a similar UI as Reader 2017, albeit with fewer controls on the toolbar? 

Yes.

> Other postings in this forum indicate that the UI on Reader 2017 is closer to Reader 11.0.23 (which is my favorite) than that of Reader DC.   Is this correct?

If a posting says that it is not correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarification!  I suppose I have to install a DC version to see for myself.

But, you failed to comment on the Continuous vs Classic track for the current Acrobat Reader DC.  Are there any DC versions still on Classic track and if so where can I download same?  Or are they all Continuous track?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Reader 2017 is on the Classic track, Acrobat Reader DC on the Continuous track.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Acrobat Reader 2017 is on the Classic track, Acrobat Reader DC on the Continuous track."

That's the impression I have too.  Where I can find a Reader 2017 non-MUI base installer?  I just need one for en_US (not multi-language).

Or, alternatively, if i install the DC en_US version and turn off all update services/tasks, would that allow me to update manually as I see fit (and not as Adobe sees fit)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can find all downloads here:

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/

Only MUI installer are available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can find all downloads here:

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/

I have this link already.  All MUI for Reader 2017 I'm afraid .. whereas the base installer for DC is available as en_US (language specific).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...whereas the base installer for DC is available as en_US (language specific).

You can find it for Acrobat Reader DC here:

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/AcrobatDC/1500720033/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Are there any DC versions still on Classic track and if so where can I download same? " That doesn't really mean anything. DC is the family name for all the current Acrobat/Reader products (which therefore includes Classic and Continuous). Classic has features left out (the ones which connect to Adobe services), and no auto-update. Classic and Continuous are otherwise identical at their release date, after which Continuous slowly diverges until the next classic release date. You won't see a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"That doesn't really mean anything. DC is the family name for all the current Acrobat/Reader products (which therefore includes Classic and Continuous)..."

To paraphrase, your reply doesn't mean anything (to me) .. unless you tell me where I can find and download a Classic DC version.  Suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd have to go looking for it. It is not easy to find as it is intended for big companies who have a redistribution license and run machines disconnected from the internet. I would strongly discourage using it otherwise, to be honest. In today's environment, security weaknesses can turn into security attacks in a matter of days. If your reason to give up XI is the lack of security patches, then running Classic without the last year's security patches is worse than useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I travel in places where I connect via very slow Internet (even dial-up) or even a satellite link.  Thus, background updating is not something I like...!  If you can find a Classic DC let me have the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. The Windows Classic version is MUI only and bundles the asian font packs. Acrobat 2017 Release (Classic Track base release) — Release Notes for Acrobat DC Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a short video here by Claudia McCue to help you get up and running:

Learn what all you can do with Acrobat Reader DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following my trial run of Adobe Reader 2017 I have now installed Acrobat Reader DC, using installer AcroRdrDC1801120035_en_US.exe.  After a manual update I now have version 2018.011.20038.  The Font Pack was downloaded/installed after a prompt (resulting from an Asian PDF sample).  That's the background.

As Reader DC is available only as Continuous Track (afaik), in line with my earlier comments, I have done this to avoid automatic updates.  Remember, I want to control when/if to update!

1) I disabled the Startup entry (HKLM:Run)  Adobe ARM "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"

2) I disabled the Adobe Acrobat Update Task "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"

3) I changed "AdobeARMservice" from Automatic to Manual

Then, in the registry, I looked up this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Adobe ARM\Legacy\Reader\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-AC0F074E4100}

Under the key (where {AC76BA86-7AD7-1033- 7B44-AC0F074E4100} is specific to my installation), I changed the Mode DWORD value from 3 to 0 and the Check DWORD from 48 to 0.

We'll see what happens.  I'll play with DC for a while as I also want to eliminate Tools (on the Toolbar).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Postscript: in my above "summary" of changes I forgot to mention that I also modified the Check DWORD from 48 to 0 (under same key) to stop Reader DC to check for updates.  Hence, the summary has been amended!

The Mode DWORD values, by the way, are as follows (afaik):

0 = Do not download or install updates automatically.

1 = Do not download or install updates automatically.

2 = Automatically download updates but let the user choose when to install them.

3 = Automatically download and install updates.

4 = Notify the user downloads are available but do not download them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would also need to set Mode to 0 in the registry (s) below-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Adobe\Adobe ARM\Products\[GUID]   64Bit OS

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Adobe ARM\Products\[GUID]   32Bit OS

Be advise that by disabling automatic updates you put your system at risk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Adobe ARM\Products\[GUID]   32Bit OS

Thanks!  Mode = 0.  Done.

But what about Check DWORD under this key?  It's now set to 48 Hex.  Should I change that to Check = 0?  Like I did for the Legacy\Reader key in my above summary.

As for putting my system at risk .. well, I prefer to manage my updates myself and thus my risk.  That's the gist of this whole thread.  Thanks to all for all the input-advise provided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Check" value does not matter in your case. This value tells Updater how often to check for updates in automatic modes.

Also, next time you install available update, you will want to check again if any of the steps you performed are not reset; most of them are not necessary anyway. All that matters is to register Mode value as 0 or 1 to set manual mode for a product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines