• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why am I now being asked for my Adobe ID password to open PDF files?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files are not password protected. Is there a way to turn this off?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

I had a similar problem on my Macbook Pro running 10.13.6. Adobe Acrobat Reader version 18.011.20058.  After trying to open files that are saved locally to my laptop, I kept getting the Adobe login prompt. There was no cancel option and clicking on the red circle, which would normally close the window, accomplished nothing.  I could not quit/close down adobe reader normally: 1) selecting File-->Quit or 2) Command-Q.  The only other option, other than being forced to log into my Adobe account, wh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Aug 23, 2023 Aug 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well just maybe if Adobe sorted this password problem which has now been irritating folks for years, folk would not feel the need to complain. If Adobe are falling down on the job, where else would you suggest they complain - Quora, Reddit???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues, but I think it has to do with my browser.  Firefox doesn't seem to work well with creative suite on my end. I always have to log into Adobe Acrobat DC when I try to view a .pdf file.  Crazy annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the thing, I got an adobe subscription because I like playing around with photoshop, illustrator, etc.  But since I posted this, Adobe acrobat pro has been absolute garbage that keeps slowing down my computer and locking up.  I think I need to cancel my subscription and just get over not having photoshop.  If I can't simply read a .pdf without lock up, I don't need this.  You would figure a subscription would make products work better and not slow you down, but not the case with acrobat pro.  I hate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow... so the "correct answer" to this problem, according to Adobe, is to delete Adobe Acrobat Reader and open PDF's using Apple Preview. That's interesting... I'll consider doing that.

I have the same problem. My PDF's open with Acrobat Pro DC, but it's always asking me to log in. I don't want to have to log in to my Adobe account every time I open a PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You MUST login to use Acrobat Pro DC at all times. That's how it checks you have a paid subscription. You can probably somehow avoid logging in with Acrobat Reader DC. But it should stay signed in unless you sign out of change computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What we're talking about here in these posts is using plain jane acrobat reader to open PDF files.

You should NOT have to log in your user name and password every time you want to open a PDF with the free Reader app.

This is totally unnecesary....the files are not Locked or password protected.

This is why many users now use Preview (Mac OS)  as the defaul app to open PDFs instead of Reader.

In the past you never had to use a log in/password to open a PDF in Acrobat Reader....the free version.

Since Adobe went to the subscription mode it has been a real pain to use the free version of Reader because

for some unknown reason they want to "track" users.....or encourage them to buy the paid version.

You know, it's all about the money.

Check out my Bio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The user "buffsters" was very definitely NOT talking about the free Reader. Please read the post I was replying to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we are definitely talking about 2 different Adobe products, one the free Reader, and two the Pro DC, which I am using as part of my subscription. I apologize for that.

However, why does Adobe require me to sign in for Pro DC and not any of the other products that are included in my subscription?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks delvok! I had a similar problem on my Android phone but I may have stumbled on the cause.  I also didn't trust the "You must Change your Adobe password" and "We need to verify your account" (or some such thing) that was popping up on my phone, so I went to www.adobe.com on my computer.  When I tried to log in to the computer with my email and the password I had on my password list (complex upper-case/lower-case/numbers), it didn't work.  I noticed my phone had saved an old password (simple all lower-case and numbers).  Neither the "newer complex password" *nor* the "old simple password" worked on the phone.  However, on the computer, the "newer complex password" also failed, but the "old simple password" logged me in (using the same email for the user as I used on the phone).  Once logged in on the computer, I changed the password there to be the "newer complex password".  About 10 or 15 minutes later I tried the Android phone again by first logging in to www.adobe.com from a browser on the phone using the "newer complex password" (which now worked on the phone after I had changed it on the computer).  Then I tried opening a PDF file already stored on my phone using the Adobe Reader app and that now worked as well (no signon challenge or complaint about changing the password)!  All seems well now...

Perhaps Adobe had two different user records tied to my email - one with the old password and one with the new?  Also, it's kind of like my "newer complex password" had disappeared or been reverted to the "old simple password".  Once I changed the computer to the "newer complex password" and logged in on the phone (first using a browser on the phone), that seemed to eliminate the problem with the Adobe Reader app on the phone.

Just a theory (that happened to work for me), but it seemed kind of "harsh" to uninstall Adobe Reader and go with something else...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on my PC. I have a subscription to Adobe Acrobat Pro, but every day, one a day at least, Adobe requires me to sign in and it will not allow me to "remember" the username and password unless I connect my Adobe account to either a Google account or a Facebook account. Why in H___ would I want to do that? All these companies control way too much as it is! I am paying for your program. Let me use it in peace! I'm looking for a competent alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, Macbook Pro, Creative Cloud FULL Suite (so ALWAYS logged in!) but Acrobat Reader wants the password app. once a week (NOT EVERY time I open a PDF on my hard drive), same dysfunctional buggy behaviour.

Super annoying, I´ll stick with de-installing the Reader and opening PDFs with Acrobat (like I said, full suite).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.

Ok...this ends my use of abode reader . Bye

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AGREE 100%  I'm not doing this everytime to open a pdf and being hassled. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And they don’t care!
The “free” version should not be asking for this. But they want to track you everywhere!
Check out my Bio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you can open a PDF any time if you are not paying for an Adobe subscirption, but if you are paying you have to go through the login every time you try to read a PDF that would be free to open for anyone else. I found this so obtrusive that I uninstalled Adobe from my computer and now use Foxit to read PDFs, and Sedja to edit PDFs with none of the intrusive inconvenience imposed by being a paying customer of Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines