• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WHY DOES ADOBE NEED SO MANY UPDATES?!!!!!

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2010 Jan 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why the heck does adobe reader need to many frigging updates every frigging week!!!

I swear, as a student i have enough active programs already, i don't need more porgrams to frigging restart my computer everyday just because your stable platform of adobe sucks. The worst part about adobe's updates, are the following:

1) it is huge UPDATES (30mbs+), if I were to download the adobe reader from your site right now, it is less than the update package. Hows does that even make sense.

2) It feels the need to be important and restart your computer every time it updates.

3) Why does Adobe Reader even need so many updates, if there is constant client problems, than I think you should release a stable client all at once.

I will not use this PDF reader ever again. There is better PDF readers out there, that don't waste people's time on updates.

p.s. mounting a complain on this site also sucks. Has anyone tried to click on the product feedback page? it is like they don't want you to complain about their products.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 115 Replies 115
Apr 30, 2011 Apr 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed the same issues...I could not find how to contact Adobe to ask why so many updates are required.  I know that in addition to the frequent updates I experience that any infrequent Firefox update will also require an Adobe update. I also have a ton of licensed software that allow me to manipulate adobe products that rarely require any updates of any kind. Lately it has reached a peak and I wish they would tell me why I need to update. I feel like the minor program I sometimes use has taken the place of the OS and Browser in hijacking the time it needs with manipulating the space put aside for it on my hard drive.  Do the adobe folks celebrate every update they put out with a kegger as incentive to put out even more or is the software so flawed the users need to update it weekly in order for it to function?  Really getting sick of this...to put this into perspective.  I am the kind of guy who can drive down the road from Florida to California with a car full of kids blowing kazoos when they arent complaining about the kid next to them saying or doing something to them every 3 minutes and it doesnt annoy me, I can spend 6 hours in the DMV and be sent home to get more documents 2 times in a row and it does not annoy me, I can sit through titanic with a row full of middle school girls crying in the row in front of me - no problem, I am the kind of guy who has never written a complaint about any piece of software in his entire life because he has never gotten to the point of wasting his time pounding out a description of the issue...Adobe's constant updates are starting to annoy me- and I am that guy!  So I am pretty sure it is annoying others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem 10 years later

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I arrived here in search of why Adobe programs are updated so frequently. When I had the full suite it was a nightmare. Now even with three applications I feel like there's always an update around.

Are there dramatic new features or bug fixes being implemented that I'm somehow not noticing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue but 12 years on from first flag and 2 from yours.  It seems totally and utterely ridiculous that almost daily it seems, either Camera Raw, Photoshop or Creative needs an update!  Thank God I don't use the whole suite!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2011 Apr 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There were three Reader updates this year:

• 2011-04-21: Adobe Reader 9.4.4
  • 2011-03-21: Adobe Reader 9.4.3
  • 2011-02-08: Adobe Reader 9.4.2

I really don't think that's too many...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2011 May 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The list you have there is somewhat less than complete. Though the published DOT releases are as you say, there are numerous updates that occur in between them. I routinely deletel the *.log files from my %temp% directory so I have lost information prior to 24 March, but since then my AdobeARM.log file shows updates on:

1. 2011-03-24 22:01:45
  2. 2011-03-27 12:04:30
  3. 2011-04-01 19:33:54
  4. 2011-04-14 07:48:04
  5. 2011-04-17 10:46:42
  6. 2011-04-19 05:51:40
  7. 2011-04-21 14:27:00
  8. 2011-04-25 08:16:50
  9. 2011-04-28 18:03:12
  10. 2011-05-12 08:27:10

and, since the topic is Adobe updates, I'd include a comment about the numerous Flash updates as well. It almost seems I get prompted to update flash every time I boot up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2011 May 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having problems with updates, once or twice each week. Definitely more than the three listed by the previous poster. As well I am caught in the spin cycle of web sites telling me to call 1-800 numbers, and then you phone only to be told to visit the web site. Neither the phone menu or the web site have any clear path to a resolution. Customer service with most companies is a misnomer, there is no such thing as service.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea how to stop this?  One page on the Adobe site said I can go to "preferences" and stop updates, but I can't even figure out where to find Preferences. I'm not even savy enough to know if I can get by without Adobe, or what to replace it with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 19, 2011 May 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LUIZ DASILVA wrote:

and, since the topic is Adobe updates, I'd include a comment about the numerous Flash updates as well. It almost seems I get prompted to update flash every time I boot up.

Yes, there have been quite a few Flash Player security updates this year:

• 2011-02-08: Flash Player 10.2.152.26
  • 2011-02-28: Flash Player 10.2.152.32
  • 2011-03-21: Flash Player 10.2.153.1
  • 2011-04-15: Flash Player 10.2.159.1
  • 2011-05-12: Flash Player 10.3.181.14

If you get FP updates more often than that, please post your FlashInstall.log file in the Flash Player forum.  Someone will be able to help you find out what's going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2011 Jun 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My log, as of today, when there was a time-consuming update that didn't need a restart, includes updates on the following dates:

[2011-06-30 00:18:49] Adobe ARM 1.5.5.0 logging finished.

[2011-06-30 20:18:41] Adobe ARM 1.5.5.0 logging finished.

[2011-06-30 02:00:32] Adobe ARM 1.5.5.0 logging finished.

[2011-06-29 22:15:27] Adobe ARM 1.5.5.0 logging finished.

[2011-06-28 09:54:40] Adobe ARM 1.5.5.0 logging finished.

[2011-06-27 09:31:27] Adobe ARM 1.5.5.0 logging finished.

[2011-06-22 21:37:01] Adobe ARM 1.5.5.0 logging finished.

[2011-06-19 09:14:14] Adobe ARM 1.5.5.0 logging finished.

[2011-06-18 10:53:14] Adobe ARM 1.5.5.0 logging finished.

[2011-06-17 11:53:52] Adobe ARM 1.4.7.0 logging finished.

[2011-06-16 09:34:22] Adobe ARM 1.4.7.0 logging finished.

That's only the entries that indicated a completed update.  Not every single day, but several consecutive days in each group.

This issue occurs FAR TOO OFTEN and the problem is NOT resolved.

Adobe updates occur almost every day.  Norton Internet Security definitions updates are generally less frequent and occur in the background.

Windows Updates are usually about weekly and generally shut down the computer once or twice a month.

Who says Adobe doesn't have a problem or the problem is solved?  Adobe - LISTEN PLEASE to the numerous complaints about these all too frequent updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2011 Jul 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MartinWill2 wrote:

My log, as of today, when there was a time-consuming update that didn't need a restart, includes updates on the following dates:

[2011-06-30 00:18:49] Adobe ARM 1.5.5.0 logging finished.

That isn't Adobe Reader. That is a download manager that is being updated. Yes, it manages Reader/Acrobat updates but the software itself (Reader) isn't being updated at all from what I can see.

Not that that excuses things, just pointing out that it isn't Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 01, 2011 Jul 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify-

ARM is not download manager - it is Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat updater.

The log just shows that Updater has started, checked the availability of updates and exited.

On a side note-

Adobe spends a tremendous amount of effort and money to keep Users (of FREE product) secure.

All that User needs to do is to spend less than a minute to install the update or disable automatic updates and check for updates at will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 03, 2011 Jul 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the correction Leo. I guess I was thinking it managed the downloads/updates specifically for Reader/Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2011 Jul 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does one disable automatic updates? Explain!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2011 Jul 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The whole point is that Adobe Reader continues to search for and update

itself (using a popup titled "Adobe Reader Updater") almost every time I

turn on or try to use my computer, and occupies five minutes or more

doing so, some of the time requiring a restart, which costs me another

10-15 minutes to get back to where I was. If I charged you back $15 for

my wasted time each time you did this I'd be earning tens of thousands

of dollars a year. Yesterday's update was five minutes but didn't

require a restart. Maybe I should keep a log and sue Adobe for every

time you interrupt my work! That's how upsetting these updates are.

Class action lawsuit, anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2011 Sep 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.  This is point.   Thanks for the post Luiz.   

Incidentally, as I was reading this post, my Adobe Updater popped up wanting to patch my system again.

What did Steve Jobs say again when the Ipad was Flash-less?  Something like  "If only Adobe would write less buggy software."

Since there are so many complaints about Adobe patching their bugs accross the internet, and so little improvement over the years.   I suggest it is not the developers at Adobe.    I suggest it is a core leadership problem that needs to start at the CEO and their board.   They need a major shift to being customer focused and focused on the customer experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2014 Sep 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat seems to ignore it when people list specific actual update proof that shows MANY, MANY more than the four published dot updates she claims.

Those 4 are probably the 4 scheduled ones, the ones that are frustrating millions of users are the non scheduled CONSTANT (first thing each morning, needing a reboot!) updates. The security updates, geez! is it that hard to create a product that doesn't need about 48 security updates a year?

I figure at least once a week! and add flash, so you are doing 2 reboots each week just for adobe!

This is NUTS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's more like what I'm seeing.  Only it's NINE YEARS LATER AND STILL HAPPENING.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2012 Nov 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what everyone else experiences but I swear I get an adobe update request every time I use my computer - be it flash or reader or something else. It doesn't always require a reboot - but I've never seen software that is so... for lack of a better term: needy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2013 May 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow - this thread is still going - now 2013 and the Reader and Flash Player updates keep coming at a fast/furious rate.

At least Firefox tells you after it updates and requires you to do nothing (at least me, on a Mac running OSX.6)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Furious rate? 3 updates to Reader this year? (no idea about Flash, but i've not noticed a whole lot. another forum for that.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Reader updates 4 times a year, Flash Player roughly 8 times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2013 Sep 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Adobe Reader updates 4 times a year, Flash Player roughly 8 times."

Is anyone else not buying this?

No way 4 times a year for the PDF reader...I think it's the most annoying thing since the MS Office paperclip.

I need to read a PDF file about once every couple of months at the most why Adobe feel the need to teorrorise me every time I switch on my laptop is baffling!

"Morning Dave!"

"Now just before you get on with the mundane thing is life like work, talking to friends and such, well you know that PDF reader you never use, it wants to update it will takie 15 minutes out your working day and reboot your computer...and will terrorise you with updates for the rest of your life."

Would recomend folks delete this nonsense product...bad enough we have to put up with it but when the mvp's tell us we are all imagining it just compounds the thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Adobe Reader seems to be updating more often than that - either you aren't updating (so it tells you again) or you have some malware pretending to be Adobe Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone just compared Adobe updates to OS and Windows updates in terms of frequency.  I notice the benefit of the Windows updates and very rarely do they impact the performance of my system.  Windows is the engine of my car, my browser is the radio in that car, and Adobe is a station on the radio of that car.  I expect to tune up my engine throughout its life and if I drive it for a long time I would expect to have my radio need to be replaced ... but I am thankful that every freaking station on my radio is not as buggy or demanding about updates as Adobe seems to be.   The last update of Adobe removed the ability for me to print directly from Reader, now the only way for me to print a pdf is to view the object in my browser and print it using the browser.  If I try to print from Reader it lets me know that it 'failed to print'.  So far I have seen Adobe go from slow to sluggish and functionality appears to be removed with every other update and now I have to use microsoft word to edit my pdf's in ways that I used to be allowed to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines