It appears to me that the installer is setting the DDE Server name in the registry to 'AcroviewR10' instead of the 'AcroviewR11'.
I confirmed by upgrading from Reader 9.5.x (DDE == Acroview) to Reader 11 (as of Oct 22, 2012) and the new value in the registry (XP and 7) was AcroviewR10.
I know there was a similiar issue when Reader 10 was released. Is there any idea when an update might come out that will fix this? I hate having to give customer's .reg files to fix these issues.
I understand that you are new to updating this variable every release, and so it isn't a part of your checklist yet, but it would be highly appreciated if you could remember that for version 12.
That link was alluding me and every other support option, apart from forum, seemed to want a support contract.
Bug filed, hopefully this gets fixed soon.
That's type of information is documented in the Acrobat SDK. Since the Acrobat XI SDK isn't out yet I guess you'll have to wait for it to get the documentation.
Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear.
I know what the value of the DDE server name is, my issue is that the installer incorrectly sets the value so that if you take their recommended approach of getting the server name from the registry your application will fail.
In fact if I manually change the registry setting my application works perfectly.
Prior to X the DDE server name was Acroview. After X it is Acroview(R|A)(XX) where XX is the version number and R|A denotes R for Reader and A for Acrobat (Standard or Pro).
They decided to screw with _years_ of using the same DDE server name. The least they can do is not half ass it.
We have the same issue, and we've reported as well with your tool.
My problem is that we use DDE to let our application prints PDF with your product but with Acrobat XI it doesn't work.
I tried to use
But no one worked.
Please let me know as soon as possible if I can continue to use this technology since a lot of our customers already want to update their Adobe Reader installation and it become more and more difficult for us to stop them updating as the time goes by.
And, another question, is DDE still supported or we should switch to another technology instead?
If we have to switch, what kind of technology should we use to interact with Reader?
Thank you very much for your time!
It does NOT work
This page seems to offer the most simple of fixes:
Basically, even on a fresh install of Reader XI the DDE Server Name is incorrectly set to AcroViewR10 not AcroViewR11 which is the correct setting to get it working. It took me 4 hours of fiddling with my code to discover this.
Changing this setting is possibly the most straight-forward bug fix I have ever seen. Why it hasn't been rolled out yet is beyond me.
I'm adding myself to this forum in hopes to be notified of some resolution. Our application uses DDE to print PDFs. We have a wide range of customers who are not necessarily experts at maintaining their systems, so we need to be able to reliably determine which version (either Reader or Acrobat) is installed.
We have a number of in house VM machines for testing in various states of reader updates and I have yet to see the registry key have the correct version. This seems like it should be a pretty simple thing. We do not want to have to go back to a simple Shell command.
I will stay tuned.
Also - I have not seen that this is reliable in version X yet, if someone knows differently please say so, so we can at least support that version. Thanks.
I had this working using the registry lookup this week. During testing on various machines, I found a discrepancy between the registry dde name and the dde name that acrobat would respond to. I finally just made an array of possible names and iterated through them.
I'm harvesting the application name from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software\Classes\acrobat\shell\open\ddeexec\application in the registry.
Capitalization does not seem to matter but I'll include the exact caps from my tests.
Acrobat XI Pro (11.0.06) shows up in the registry as AcroViewA10 but it responds to acroviewa11.
Acrobat XI Pro (11.0.0) shows up in the registry as AcroViewA10 but it responds to acroviewa11.
Acrobat Reader XI (11.0.06) shows up in the registry as AcroView
R10 but it responds to acroviewr11.
Acrobat X Reader (10.1.9) shows up in registry as AcroViewR10 and responds to acroviewr10.
Reader 9 (9.0.0) shows up in registry as AcroViewA10 and responds to acroview. (The registry may be skewed by having Acrobat XI Pro installed on this machine.)
Reader 7 (7.1.0) shows up in registry as AcroView and responds to acroview.
So, I'm just brute forcing through all 5 known combinations plus 2 for version 12 on the off chance that the naming doesn't break pattern again.
#define maxnames 7
DIMENSION acronames (maxnames )
acronames(1) = "acroview"
acronames(2) = "acroviewa11"
acronames(3) = "acroviewr11"
acronames(4) = "acroviewa10"
acronames(5) = "acroviewr10"
acronames(6) = "acroviewa12"
acronames(7) = "acroviewr12"
AcroChanNum = DDEINITIATE(acronames(namecounter ), "Control")
namecounter = namecounter + 1
until AcroChanNum >=0