Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

720p MP4 Export settings

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2014 Apr 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Forum,

Can anyone recommend decent quality 720p MP4 settings with an MPEG4 container? 

I can only do 720p versions in a quicktime or h264 container which will not play in windows. 

Source is ProRes 422 1080p.  Client requests MP4.  However, the settings for MP4 under the MPEG4 container does not allow for a high enough data rate for 720p.

Thanks!

- Ryan

TOPICS
Formats , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2014 Apr 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

H.264 is the codec, and MP4 is the format.

When you export using H.264, it comes out in the MP4 format, and plays just fine on Windows.  Oddly, the MPEG4 labeled options are primarily for playback on older phones.  I kind of wish Adobe would just remove these presets.

I recommend the following media players, as Windows Media Player and QuickTime are about the two worst ones out there.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/PotPlayer

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2014 Apr 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Jim said, use the H.264 codec. It's a great codec to export in and the client CAN play it in normal WMP or Quicktime if he wants (even though VLC is the best playback software period). Just make sure your resolution is at 720P and your VPR is set at 2 pass.

Capture.PNG

The MPEG4 presets will not give a good picture quallity. Standard quicktime is even worse. It will put your aspect ratio at 1.3x1.3 and it will be interlaced. The only way you can make those other two codecs to work is if you know how to change the settings yourself and that is a whole other story.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2014 Apr 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all!

Thanks for the detailed response! 

Unfortunately, I can not control what applications our clients are viewing on.  As they are large corporations and they requested universal files. 

When I use the H264 codec, it works fine on my MP however when I test it on an old Windows XP machine it will not open. 

NOTE: They asked for under 150MB files, so if you wonder why my data rate is low.  Video is 52:00 in length

Screen Shot 2014-04-10 at 11.47.15 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 10, 2014 Apr 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when I test it on an old Windows XP machine it will not open. 

That's true.  You may have to go back to MPEG2 for that kind of compatibility.

On a side note:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/end-support-help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2014 Jun 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the replies everyone! 

I was able to work it out and forgot to post.

Thanks for the help!!

- Ryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines