• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Big mess/problem with linked assets (linked source file)

Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What i try to archieve

I want to have a project file (e. g. Website) with a linked source file (which includes colors, icons/components ...) as base/template for other client jobs. So i can dublicate both files for new jobs, rename them, renew the link between them and only i have to do is to update the source file with the new client specifiactions and my project file is set with the new colors, components and so on.

My challenge

i created a source XD file (source file 1a) with colors and icons and used it as linked assets in an other XD project (project file 1a) for one client. Both are cloud documents.

1st:
Now i want to use this combination for an other project/new client. So i thought i save "source file 1" as "source file 2" and do the same for the project file and save it as "project file 2". My idea: I open "project file 2" delete "source file 1" as linked assets and link "source file 2" new to it. So i just have to adjust icons and colors in "source file 2"and my "project file 2" has a new look. (project file 1 and source file 1 still exists as clouddocuments for client 1)

Unfortunately this doesn't work...   I can't delete "source file 1" cleanly from the "project file 2" and "source file 2" gave me the message "no assets found". Maybe a conflict because both source files include the same component names.

2nd try (the mess with linked assets beginns):

In this case i thought i create a new project file (project file 2b) and use "source file 2" as linked assets. So far so good BUT now there are conflicts between my two source files in an other way.

I made changes in "source file 2" (e. g. i changed color values and the names) and imported it in my new "project file 2b". First import is fine and everything looks how it should. A few seconds later my linked assets (from source file 2) in my asset panel in "project file 2b" display me "update", but i didn't changed anything. If i hover over my assets/colors to view the changes, the names and colors from "source file 1" are displayed again. If i update the asset panel all my "source file 2" colors change to the color names and values from "source file 1". If i make a change in "source file 2" and update "project file 2b" again it displays the right colors from "source file 2". Seconds later "new update" pops up and everything will change to "source file 1" values. BUT its still and only connected to "source file 2".

And the same happens with the first project. "project file 1" is still and only connected with "source file 1". If i make changes in "source file 2" in "project file 1" the linked assets display the changes made in "source file 2".

What i'm doing wrong?

TOPICS
Design , Import and export , Product performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey there,

it would be really nice if you would care about this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines