• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colors and character styles are not included when copied into another document in XD.

Advisor ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I select artboards from one document and paste them in another XD document the assets like colors, character styles and components used to be included in the new document. However after last XD update some of the assets don't get copied and sometimes they all get copied to the new document but they are lost when I save, close and re-open that document. I just copied three artboards from one document to another, then I shared that copied document for development. When I looked at the code specs every asset was included, but when I closed that document in XD and re-opened it the color assets were all gone from the assets panel in XD! This seems so instable and buggy.

W10

XD 30.1.12.4 

<The Title was renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Product performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

As far as I remember, it has always worked like that.

When I wanted to carry styles and colors over from another document, I would use the small + icon on the assets panel, which says "Link Assets", and get them from the other document:

dstoic_0-1593124164659.png

This makes sense, because you don't always want to carry over colors and styles from another document when copying an artboard. Maybe you plan on changing them or something else, and you wouldn't want 10 character styles or colors to get mixed with the ones you h

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PerryBrus,

Hope you are safe and healthy at home!

Thank you for reaching out. If I understood you correctly, you are saying when you trying to copy an artboard including colors, assets and character styles into another document, color and character styles are not included into a new document.

I tried to reproduce the same at my end on XD 30.1 version, and yes the colors and character styles aren't included while copy pasting but the components are included.  However, I also checked on the previous version of XD 29.3, and I found out that only the components are included in the file not the colors and character styles so it seems like they were not included in the previous version of XD as well.

Could you please create a short video if  you're not able to see the components as well? 

I will try my best to help you.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I remember, it has always worked like that.

When I wanted to carry styles and colors over from another document, I would use the small + icon on the assets panel, which says "Link Assets", and get them from the other document:

dstoic_0-1593124164659.png

This makes sense, because you don't always want to carry over colors and styles from another document when copying an artboard. Maybe you plan on changing them or something else, and you wouldn't want 10 character styles or colors to get mixed with the ones you have in the document you're copying to by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could say it makes sense both ways, but I agree that it would be annoying to receive all the assets if your not interested in anything but the artboard itself when copying from one document to another. However, I actually DO receive the character styles and the component when Ctr+C / Ctr+V artboards from one open XD document to another open XD document. The weird thing here is that I don't get the colors with me all the time, but sometimes I do. And when I share the copied document for development (Share for development) the colors are right there in the specs! But they are not in the document itself. So to me this looks like a bug or at least instable behaviour?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, well in that case it does seem like a bug & inconsistent behavior. I just never remember it happening to me and I can't replicate it now. The components should always carry over imo, as they are actual elements on the page and should stay linked, and are an exception to the logic I mentioned before.

In any case, the best thing would be to probably record video of it, if it happens often enough, so that a bug can be filed, otherwise they'll just say they can't replicate it or something, and it won't get addressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes your right. It's more like inconsistent behavior than unstable behavior. I experience that alot with XD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines